Lao boats (Read 5835 times)

karlos
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Lao boats
14th Dec, 2011 at 9:49am

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well and happy Smiley

I first visited Laos six years ago and every summer I have wanted to go back, this year I did!  I just returned from Vientiane and it has changed heaps!  I was especially amazed at the changes along the Mekong.   

One thing that fascinates me is the river boats or canoes, I have always had canoes but the Lao long canoes really look lovely.   I don't know what they're called, but there's an old one in front of the "Mixay - Art of Mekong" shop in Nokeokhuman Street in Vientiane with some orchids growing in it.

In the past my father has made a few wooden canoes and I showed him a picture of this one and he fell in love with it and said he'd like to build one.  I would really like seeing one of these on the Swan River in Perth, Western Australia where I live - I can imagine it would make a few people stop and stare!   The thing is I didn't think about this while I was there and he's really excited and wants to make one soon.

I've made 3 models from my memory of them and they all look good but my father being a retired engineer also wants to make an 'authentic' shaped one..  but I can't find any plans for these boats.

I hope I'm not being rude asking this but if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.  If anyone knows what these boats are actually called I'd love to know, also if anyone know where I could find plans I'd love to know that too!  And if someone is feeling bored one day while they are in Vientiane and it's not too much trouble to take a tape measure and a protractor down to this boat and pull as many measurements off it as they can I'll buy them a beer  Grin

thankyou and take care !

IMGP4956small.jpg (92 KB | 559 )
IMGP4956small.jpg
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Lao boats
Reply #1 - 14th Dec, 2011 at 3:55pm

I don't think there's a specific name for this type of boat, but you can call it:

• "Hea mai" meaning "wooden boat"
  • "Hea yaow" meaning "long boat"
  • "Hea pai" meaning "row boat"

Hea pai (row boat) is the best name for it.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

karlos
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #2 - 18th Dec, 2011 at 10:42pm

thanks for that information - I appreciate the reply and will contine my search for more details on this boat style.  I hope to visit Laos again maybe next year and hopefully I'll know a little more of the Lao lanuage then, maybe enough to ask some boat builders about the art of building these boats  Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 19th Dec, 2011 at 5:39am

They're the style of row boats used for the annual boat racing competition. I wouldn't hop on one even if someone paid me, they're narrow and might roll over.

Enjoy your Lao trip if you come over next year.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

kevin RoadRace
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Under a Rock!
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #4 - 20th Dec, 2011 at 1:43pm

They have a boat rowing contest in Lowell  Massachusetts I think every year.  If your from the States you should check it out.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14335 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93546 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296706 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143117 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79015 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55000 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80842 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63770 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50473 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45347 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum