Send Topic Print
Gangs in Laos? (Read 25165 times)

Second2none
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Generation next...

Gangs in Laos?
3rd May, 2012 at 4:01am

Not that it worries me, I was born and raised in San Diego California and had my fair share of the lifestyle. Upon some research I've read of the growing crime rate in the capital city possibly due to western influence. This question raises my curiosity because I some time in the near future want to visit Laos, and I would rather be readily prepared if ever approached by such a nuisance. Cool
« Last Edit: 8th Jan, 2013 at 6:06pm by Admin Saovaluck »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Re: Gangs in Laos?
Reply #1 - 3rd May, 2012 at 4:16am

I'd be more cautious to be whereabout in Fresno, Compton or LA, CA than in Vientiane.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Second2none
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Generation next...

Reply #2 - 3rd May, 2012 at 4:41am

When you've adapted to the environment you grew up in the threat level dismisses itself from your conscience, but it still lingers. Whereas in a third world country it'll seem the danger is more imminent, based on the indigency.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 3rd May, 2012 at 6:02am

Laos is quite a safe country, but obviously you always have to stay alert when travelling and look after your money and travel documents.

If you do your normal shopping, touring and sightseeing, you won't come across any gangs.

If you're out late at night, especially in bars and clubs then the threat level may increase.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Second2none
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Generation next...

Reply #4 - 3rd May, 2012 at 6:44am

I'm aware of the threat level and safety concerns that's why this issue is being raised. Being a Lao-American speaking in general, retracing our roots and history by visiting the motherland is something we've longed to experience. Being that we were raised and subjected to western standards, the lure of bars and clubs is inevitable, so I guess we heighten the danger we put ourselves in. We still haven't disclose the answer to my questions, are there gangs? What do they call themselves? What's their purpose? I'm familiar with the structure of gangs in the states, but I've never been exposed to third world, especially Laotion gangs. But I've seen western influence being mimic by Laotion youths like some rappers in Laos labeling themselves g bloodz?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 3rd May, 2012 at 7:13am

Laos is pretty safe, crimes rates is low compare to some city in USA. I don't think they have any problem with Blood and Crip gang.

Communist government will not allow gang member going around shooting people. They'll put you out real quick  and forget about humans right and lawyer.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #6 - 3rd May, 2012 at 9:40am

There are some drug-related gangs in Laos who keep to themselves if you don't get involved with them.

There's no kind of street gangs in Laos that use weapons to go around shooting or beating people up.

IP Logged

Second2none
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Generation next...

Reply #7 - 3rd May, 2012 at 9:57am

Thanks for the clarification. Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 3rd May, 2012 at 12:21pm

In some US city robbery, murder, shooting is pretty common, and on the news daily. After living here for so long you kind of knew where to go or not to go. What city and area to avoid.

In states like California, they call it gang capital of the world. You can get kill for wearing wrong color and walking in the wrong area.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 3rd May, 2012 at 9:40am:
There are some drug-related gangs in Laos who keep to themselves if you don't get involved with them.

There's no kind of street gangs in Laos that use weapons to go around shooting or beating people up.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 3rd May, 2012 at 12:31pm

If the area is a danger to the public then why isn't the authorities cleaning it up?

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 3rd May, 2012 at 12:37pm

They're cracking down, but budget cut, less police, jail is full. Stuff like that. Its not easy keeping an eye on the city with 2 or 3 million people. Firearm is legal and most  criminal can get their hand on the gun.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 3rd May, 2012 at 12:31pm:
If the area is a danger to the public then why isn't the authorities cleaning it up?

« Last Edit: 3rd May, 2012 at 1:38pm by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Second2none
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Generation next...

Reply #11 - 3rd May, 2012 at 2:11pm

There's a potential for danger anywhere you live in the world. You just have to learn how to recognize it and avoid it, or run into it head first. Its not easy for law enforcement to neutralize all crimes committed in certain areas due to insufficient patrol officers, insufficient prisons just to name a couple. If police just goes around and arrest everyone they felt committed a crime, but there's no where to house the criminals, it just wouldn't work. As stated above the state budget plays a big factor in it too. Not enough money to pay the police officers, prison care, legal proceedings. I hope I never spend a day in Lao prison. The menu doesn't look too appetizing (pork fat water soup and rice for lunch, and same goes for dinner).

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #12 - 3rd May, 2012 at 8:56pm

Grin Grin Grin.  The best solutions are parenting and education. 

I do not understand these Lao kids (or kids from other ethnic background in general) that are in gangs preaching and practicing violence against others and/or destructing society.  The USA is the land of opportunities and everyone should take advantage of the opportunities to do well for oneself and society.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #13 - 4th May, 2012 at 4:50am

Agreed. If these young people think life in America is hard. Send them to live in Laos for a year and let them experience the life there.

Anybody can live the American dream, but need to work hard and get a good education.

HAIR wrote on 3rd May, 2012 at 8:56pm:
Grin Grin Grin.  The best solutions are parenting and education. 

I do not understand these Lao kids (or kids from other ethnic background in general) that are in gangs preaching and practicing violence against others and/or destructing society.  The USA is the land of opportunities and everyone should take advantage of the opportunities to do well for oneself and society. 

View Profile  
IP Logged

Second2none
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Generation next...

Reply #14 - 4th May, 2012 at 4:57am

If you send people back to the third world without any resources of course you'll witness the hardship. look at the cambodians who got deported back to their country for committing crimes in the u.s. They now realize they took for granted an opportunity that not everyone gets.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 15522 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 94176 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 297244 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143539 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79359 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55299 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 81117 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 64013 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50667 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45501 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum