Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lao students after graduation (Read 4666 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Lao students after graduation
7th May, 2012 at 5:22am

So while I was in Laos, I talked to many students there and asked them what they were going to do after graduation. They didn't really know. I asked them what they are learning in school and they weren't very enthusiastic. Seems like they just go to hang out. Most of the rich kids show up late and just leave anyways, pretending to go to school. In the end, the grades are just given to those with the most amount of money, so learning doesn't really matter. I was told that for someone to get a job at a bank, they had to actually pay to get that job, then only after about 3 months they would start to make some money. This is only if you know someone and your family is well connected. Don't matter how smart you are, you will not get the job. Also, working at a bank was considered the ideal or prestigious of jobs in Laos, not sure why. To get a university education costs a lot of money to the average person in Laos and afterwards, you can't even get a decent job so why bother even going? They told me that most of the rich kids go cause their parents pay and its just for show, they don't exactly do anything with their degree's after, just something for their parents to brag to others about. I don't mean to always talk about negative things about Laos but these are the things the locals tell me about which I just want to share. Students with no hope, english teachers who don't speak english, jobs that you have to pay to work at. Anyone else think that there is something wrong with this picture? Shocked

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Lao students after graduation
Reply #1 - 7th May, 2012 at 10:03am

You need good connection to have a good education and job in Laos. If your parents are rice farmers, or selling vegetables at a local market, employers don't really take you seriously.

The public also don't take you seriously and they look down on you because you're poor. Only people in your village will associate with you because they know you.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Lao students after graduation
Reply #2 - 8th May, 2012 at 4:08am

Sad but true. I went to school in Laos untill high school.

In America to get a really good paying jobs most of the time you need education and connection. Anybody can get $10 an hour assembly jobs, but $80k-$100k a year jobs sometime "Its not what you know it's who you know."

Same as anywhere else in the world. Money talk if you're rich, well connected you can get into good school, and get a good jobs. Harvard, Yale University for example is tuition is about $100,000 a year. So not everybody can attend.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 15591 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 94213 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 297265 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143558 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79373 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55311 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 81127 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 64020 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50674 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45506 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum