Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Simple low-fat meals that Lao people enjoying eating (Read 29433 times)
Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Simple low-fat meals that Lao people enjoying eating
27th Dec, 2012 at 4:48pm

Related articles you might be interested in reading:

star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Re: Simple low-fat meals that Lao people enjoying eating
Reply #1 - 27th Dec, 2012 at 11:07pm

Saap Saap! Admin, can you cook any of these dishes, haha.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 28th Dec, 2012 at 5:50am

I can, but I usually don't have time to cook.

Lao entree

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Reply #3 - 28th Dec, 2012 at 11:56am

Always a bottle of beerlao on the table at any feast. Can't find a single bottle of water but you sure can find beerlao anywhere. Don't have a chair to sit on? No problem, use the beerlao crate. I try to help the local economy while I was in Laos by eating all I could. Beerlao tastes so good when you have some meatballs on a stick and some chicks feeding it to you, haha. You know what I miss eating the most in Laos, patte bread. I don't even have a picture of it but I went to this place near this business school downtown vientiane somewhere and had the best "couchie patte" I ever ate. The bread was so soft and fresh and crispy where it needed to be. They put some moo foi (shredded pork) on it and some sauce which made it taste like no other. I remember biting into it and thinking, I'm in heaven. I could eat that everyday. I miss Laos, food was almost better than them sexy chicks. My next trip, I'm going to find a hotel next to that couchie patte place. Oh the other thing I tried was "seen mai" which was for breakfast and you dip some bread in it as well. It was also heavenly. I also went to try the hot soya bean milk they serve off the streets, it's called "narm dow hoo". The only thing missing was they should have added some kieng (ginger) like my mom used to make. Man I'm hungry now.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 28th Dec, 2012 at 12:22pm

Everywhere you go, there's always beer on the table. Even the tablecloth have Beerlao advertisements on it.

Pate is nice if it is on soft, fresh bread. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

IP Logged

andyong
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #5 - 29th Dec, 2012 at 7:38am

Personally, I like pate from Donpalan street. A shop somewhere in the middle of the shoplot operated by a vietnamese - Laos family selling marn kuan, pate, congee and fish maw soup. Usually will be pack during morning breakfast hour.

Will be back for that, when I am back to Laos hahahaha

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 29th Dec, 2012 at 8:22am

"Dongpalane" street is packed with many Vietnamese residents who can speak Lao fluently. The Viets make delicious foods.

"Cook your own food" type restaurants is
a great dining experience in Laos.

This table lets you barbecue your own
meat on a charcoal grill.

Cook your own food

Please click on image to view a larger version

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #7 - 1st Jan, 2013 at 7:39pm

Does anyone know of a distributor that distributes Beerlao in the U.S.?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 2nd Jan, 2013 at 1:00pm

It doesn't get any "Lao" than foods like these...

Traditional Lao food

Traditional Lao food

Traditional Lao food

Traditional Lao food

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 3rd Jan, 2013 at 12:07am

Yummy! The second item from the top looks highly interesting Grin! What is that?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 3rd Jan, 2013 at 6:53am

The brown colored dish is called "Larp Pha dong". It's basically raw fish with a bit of padaek (fermented fish sauce).

My relative made this dish. It's very difficult to make because if you don't add the right herbs and other ingredients, it will taste funny.

"Dong" is the name of the fish used, fresh from the Mekong river with no fish smell. Sold for 15,000 kips ($2 US) at the markets. Other fish can be used but it won't taste nice for this particular dish.

The red colored dish is "Jeow". Chilli and tomatoes are the main ingredients.

Both dishes are 100% Lao.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 3rd Jan, 2013 at 8:55pm

Airheaded question but this is still typical for Lao family to sit on the floor and eat?

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 3rd Jan, 2013 at 6:53am:
The brown colored dish is called "Larp Pha dong". It's basically raw fish with a bit of padaek (fermented fish sauce).

My relative made this dish. It's very difficult to make because if you don't add the right herbs and other ingredients, it will taste funny.

"Dong" is the name of the fish used, fresh from the Mekong river with no fish smell. Sold for 15,000 kips ($2 US) at the markets. Other fish can be used but it won't taste nice for this particular dish.

The red colored dish is "Jeow". Chilli and tomatoes are the main ingredients.

Both dishes are 100% Lao.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 4th Jan, 2013 at 5:36am

Yes, mostly in the countryside.

There are also "sit on the floor" restaurants with cushions in Laos.

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #13 - 4th Jan, 2013 at 10:02am

I like to do it on the floor.... eat that is, haha. Yeah eating together on the "sat" is the best. Brings back memories.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

andyong
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #14 - 4th Jan, 2013 at 12:36pm

After years of sitting on the floor for meals, I got myself a thick skin ankle  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 7942 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 90294 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293838 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140902 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 77041 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 53363 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 79320 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62444 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49443 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44415 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum