Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dating advice for a farang (Read 23711 times)

MisterXenos
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Dating advice for a farang
20th Aug, 2013 at 9:13am

Ok, so it seems that I have attracted the affections of a lovely woman from Laos. We were attending university together, she had won some kind of scholarship that my country gives to people from Laos and other places in SEA.

Well, she was struggling with understanding the advanced English our professors were using, and was in big trouble for the exams. She offered to pay me as a tutor, but I declined payment, saying that it was an honorable deed to help a disadvantaged classmate. I myself had needed special help before, and felt this was a way to pay that deed forward. With my help, she managed to do much better.

Apparently, this left quite the mark on her! I had always thought her to be a very lovely woman, but never expected her to have much interest in a Westerner. I was delighted when I pieced together her feelings for me. However...dating between Westerners is quite different than dating in Laos! For one, it is much slower. I have looked around but not managed to find all that much advice, so I have thought to ask on a forum.

What sort of timeline can I expect for the development of our relationship? When should I expect her to want me to touch her, kiss her, touch her hair, flirt with her? She wants to wait for marriage for sex, and I am ok with that, but I do not want to rush her on the other things either. As a man, I am used to being the initiator, but I don't "know the rules" for Laos dating!

Second, what are good topics of conversation for between a Laos girl and her "new gig"? I want to be able to romance her well. Obviously every girl is different, but a rough overview of the usual things could be a good starting point. What are good ways to flirt with a Laos girl? She is in her later twenties by the way.

Lastly, some romantic things to say in her language are good! Once again I have tried to look some of this up, but it is hard to find stuff. I asked one of her friends, she told me to say "Lub fan d der t huk". I know this has something to do with "goodnight", but don't know a full translation. Anything you can teach me (I would like to know the meaning too, I do not want to just be repeating things!) I would appreciate.

And, I would be more than happy to repay any help anyone gives me in any way I can. Thank you for reading!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Dating advice for a farang
Reply #1 - 20th Aug, 2013 at 11:16am

That's very nice of you to help her through her problems.

Lao girls are like any other girls in the world. You just go with your gut instinct, if it feels right in the moment to touch her, kiss her, etc then just go for it.

"Lub fun dee der tee huk" is too sweet for my liking, but then again maybe your girl likes romance.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

MisterXenos
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #2 - 20th Aug, 2013 at 6:23pm

Unfortunately, my instincts only seem to be accurate for reading Western women.

As for the phrase, it's "too sweet"? ...well, what does it mean, if I may ask?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 21st Aug, 2013 at 6:42am

She is probably familiar with western culture because she is studying in your country, so it wouldn't be a shock to her system if you showed some affection towards her.

"Tee huk" is too sweet. People have a name so it's better to call them by their name.

"Lub fun dee der Saovaluck" would be more appropriate.

"Tee huck" basically means "darling" or "sweetheart". In the past, Laotians never used the word "tee huk". The new generation of Laotians are copying the Thais, they say "tee ruk" in their language.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

MisterXenos
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #4 - 22nd Aug, 2013 at 5:33pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 21st Aug, 2013 at 6:42am:
She is probably familiar with western culture because she is studying in your country, so it wouldn't be a shock to her system if you showed some affection towards her.

"Tee huk" is too sweet. People have a name so it's better to call them by their name.

"Lub fun dee der Saovaluck" would be more appropriate.

"Tee huck" basically means "darling" or "sweetheart". In the past, Laotians never used the word "tee huk". The new generation of Laotians are copying the Thais, they say "tee ruk" in their language.

Thanks for the info. We've been finding a middle ground, but she's only been here for a few months, so her grasp of Western culture isn't amazing yet.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Bao Evil
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

USA
Awards: 1
Laotian Award
Reply #5 - 17th Dec, 2013 at 4:40am

MZ,
Just study her body language and go with it. Better yet, just ask her what she likes.  Smiley
« Last Edit: 17th Dec, 2013 at 8:17pm by Bao Evil »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68389 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245613 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130923 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67125 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45855 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72425 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56099 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44256 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39964 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33198 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum