Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Labour shortage a major challenge for investors in Laos (Read 23945 times)

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Labour shortage a major challenge for investors in Laos
27th Aug, 2013 at 6:06pm

Both local and foreign investors operating businesses in Laos have been encountering problems stemming from the chronic labour shortage.

“We are experiencing an annual shortfall of labourers in excess of 31,000 people,” said a senior advisor to the Lao National Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Onesy Boudsivongsakd made the observation at the 8th Lao Business Forum held in Vientiane on Tuesday, aiming to highlight the labour problems to the government and find appropriate solutions.

“This figure does not include the workers required by the two sugar companies operating in Savannakhet province or those needed to harvest latex from rubber plantations around the country, which amounts to several thousand more,” Onesy said.

The 31,000 workers in question are required for the garment industry, processing industry, tourism, steel rod production, furniture production association, construction groups, KP industry group, and the Nikon and Essiloz companies in the Savannakhet economic zone.

These sectors have a current labour pool of 187,750 people, according to a handout distributed at the forum.

Onesy said the garment industry employs 31,000 workers but requires an additional 9,930 people each year. At present, however, only 650 labourers are available.

The industrial processing sector has a labour pool of 20,000 people but requires an additional 300 employees, while the tourism sector currently employs 28,100 people and needs an additional 2,400 each year.

The steel rod production group employs 1,150 people but needs an additional 600 people per annum, and the furniture production association employs 6,000 people but needs an additional 5,000.

The construction sector employs 100,000 people but needs an extra 5,500 workers, while the KP industry group has a labour pool of 1,500 but needs 2,900 more. In addition, Nikon needs about 1,500 people and Essiloz is seeking another 3,000 employees.

Onesy said that in the midst of this labour shortage, som e 100,000 people are crossing the border to seek work in other countries, and there are no controls in place to stop this exodus. Many areas in the central and southern provinces have no young people to work in the rice fields since most prefer to work in other countries, leaving the job of subsistence farming to the older folk.

In Vientiane, the shortage of manpower is creating disputes between companies. The problem is exacerbated by poor discipline in the workplace, inefficiency, and complacent workers, Mr Onesy said. “More often than not, some people don't show up for work for two or three days after receiving their salaries.”

“We are well aware that in 2015 Laos will become part of the Asean Economic Community (AEC). If we allow the current situation to continue, how can we expect to produce quality or competitive goods and commodities for sale within the AEC market?”

The labour shortage and high turnover of employees is a ma jor challenge both for existing investors and those just setting up business in Laos. Even though the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare has created 15 employment agencies, there is still a serious labour shortfal l.

There are also problems in granting permits to investors and business groups to collaborate with local authorities to recruit labourers in local areas independently, since they come under the legal authority of the employment agencies.

In Savannakhet province, a foreign employment agency uses buses to pick up workers and take them across the border to their place of work.

In Luang Prabang province, foreign employment agencies, in cooperation with Lao recruitment agencies, have arranged for locals to work across the border. More than 700 people in Luang Prabang have been interviewed for employment in other countries.

“I think it's time for us to retain our young workers so that we can build up and develop the country,” Onesy said.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Labour shortage a major challenge for investors in Laos
Reply #1 - 27th Aug, 2013 at 6:12pm

To make them stay to work in Laos, the solution is to increase people's wages in Laos to  standards that are comparable to wages in Tahiland.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #2 - 27th Aug, 2013 at 8:27pm

I dont see labors in Luan Prabang go other countries to work. China? Thailand?  But I do see 5 days after salary day are vacuum days. They are drinking BeerLao.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #3 - 27th Aug, 2013 at 8:29pm

Beef Cake wrote on 27th Aug, 2013 at 6:12pm:
To make them stay to work in Laos, the solution is to increase people's wages in Laos to  standards that are comparable to wages in Tahiland.

Investors in Laos  mean to exploit the advantage of low cost labor.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #4 - 28th Aug, 2013 at 12:01am

China man, what's the typical wages for day labourers in China?  In Thailand?

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #5 - 28th Aug, 2013 at 8:37am

Beef Cake wrote on 28th Aug, 2013 at 12:01am:
China man, what's the typical wages for day labourers in China?  In Thailand?

Here my town, around 300-500 USD per month.  If working with some construction, higher up to 800 USD per month. in agriculture, much higher in high season. in some sector of agriculture, amazing high beyong your imagination. Laugh

Thailand has a minimum salary rule aound 300 Baht per day? I can not remember it now.  In Chiang Rai, a newly graduated student could get 300-400 USD per month in 2011 I was told. I did not check it out.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #6 - 28th Aug, 2013 at 10:17am

Beef Cake wrote on 27th Aug, 2013 at 6:12pm:

You hit the nail right on the head  Applause  Problem
is the goverment.If they set a minium wage or bracket what
company should be paying their employee then you wouldn't have people who are leaving for other country to work.Case in point look at Mexico .They have job there but they rather
risk their lives to cross-border to get a higher pay in the United State.Its all come down to rules and regulation .

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #7 - 29th Aug, 2013 at 1:04am

Low wage problem in Laos is not related to government but due to lack of, or limited, capitalistic activities.  Capitalism will define people's wages.  Government should stay away from this issue, however government should be highly competitive in bringing the 'right' companies to hire the labourers.   Also, government should be highly aggressive in workplace health, safety and environment. 

If government controls people's wages,then we have more corruption problems. Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #8 - 29th Aug, 2013 at 1:35pm

You are a librel?

Beef Cake wrote on 29th Aug, 2013 at 1:04am:
Low wage problem in Laos is not related to government but due to lack of, or limited, capitalistic activities.  Capitalism will define people's wages.  Government should stay away from this issue, however government should be highly competitive in bringing the 'right' companies to hire the labourers.   Also, government should be highly aggressive in workplace health, safety and environment. 

If government controls people's wages,then we have more corruption problems. Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 30th Aug, 2013 at 5:16am

I am definitely a Libertarian but I only read 2 books (completely) so far.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #10 - 30th Aug, 2013 at 6:15pm

Libertarianism is not the solution to the economic problems of Lao. The Lao government, just as any other, has a responsibility to insure the safety of its citizens and this includes regulation of work safety standards. With that said, Laos does have to have competitive wages to appeal to foreign investors and this can only be accomplished if wages stay low for the time being. China took this road under Deng Xiaoping and it has led to the emergence of a sizeable middle class and new service sectors. As Lao gradually increases its wealth, so too will they be able to regulate more and more and increase the peoples' quality of life.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 31st Aug, 2013 at 12:50am

Yes sir I agree.  Libertarianism should work nicely for developed nations and not so for developing nations. 
If there is Libertarianism in Laos then idea is called Communism because the majority of the wealthiest Lao citizens are not really doing anything that could better enhance Lao citizens' living conditions, infrastructures, water quality and etc... 

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #12 - 2nd Sep, 2013 at 11:27am

Beef Cake wrote on 29th Aug, 2013 at 1:04am:

Are you serious dude ? So you saying as long as company created jobs then the wages of the workers are gonna be
fix.  Cheesy Google minnium wages and see who set it.
Also i never said for the Goverment to control wages.I was just stating that they should set up rules and regulations.It would be a wonderful world if every company would pay their
employee what they are intitle too.But who are we kidding
this is a dog eat dog world.Its just like paying taxes .Do you
think rich people pay close to the 30 percent what we pay ?
I don't think so buddy. Mitt Romey only pay like 15 percent

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #13 - 3rd Sep, 2013 at 7:03am

Dudes, you guys don't understand that Laos is still under a communist dictatorship? You guys talk like there is freedom there. This is the least developed country in Asia and there is a reason for it. Commies want to keep it that way.
Commies don't want to educate of develop the people of Laos. They want to keep them under control.
Do you know how you get jobs in Laos? You don't just go and apply and hope you have all the right credentials and experience, hell no. Gov't and corrupt officials choose who gets the jobs. Their sons and daughters are first, then whoever gives better head after that. It's not about what you know it Laos, it's who you know. Seen it all before....

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #14 - 3rd Sep, 2013 at 9:40am

For folks living in the US, happy Labour Day y'all!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 286441 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85762 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137642 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74102 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50903 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77140 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60508 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47820 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43054 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35524 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum