Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Poverty on the decline (Read 11832 times)

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Poverty on the decline
22nd Oct, 2013 at 4:39am

The number of districts officially classified as poor has fallen to 37 this year, out of a total of 145 in the country.

An official from the Lao National Committee for Rural Development and Poverty Eradication, Mr Oungeun Duangmany, told Vientiane Times  last week this figure was a significant improvement on 2010, when 47 districts were classified as poor.

“Our target is to reduce the proportion of poor families to 9 percent in 2015 as part of the plan to achieve fundamental poverty reduction,” he said.

The government is actively implementing its poverty reduction strategy in the hope of achieving its targets and removing Laos from the list of Least Developed Countries by 2020.

In 2010 the proportion of poor families was reported to be 20.40 percent but this year the number dropped to 10.57 percent.

However, rural development and poverty eradication continue to pose a difficult challenge because of insufficient fun ding.

Most people living in remote areas with limited or no road access, both in multicultural and traditional communities, suffer from a low level of education and a nature-dependent lifestyle. Few of them are able to raise crops or animals for sale, and can only produce enough for their own needs.

According to the Lao National Committee for Rural Development and Poverty Eradication, a minimum of 500 billion kip is needed for poverty reduction activities each year but the state budget doesn't run to that.

At present the government can only provide six to seven billion kip to fund poverty alleviation projects annually, which falls far short of the financing required.

The government is struggling to maintain a strong focus on sustainable agriculture, rural employment and income generation, alternative livelihoods, and the development of rural infrastructure.

The government embarked on the poverty eradication project in 1996 when the 6th Party Congress defined Laos' long-term development objective as freeing the nation from Least Developed Country status by 2020.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Poverty on the decline
Reply #1 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 4:48am

To accomplish this long term goal quicker, pull away from 'rural development' mentality.  Why not set up temporary living communities near areas where labor forces are needed for these rural folks to generate income?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 5:17am

Unpaved road and homes in the rural area of Laos

Please click on image to view a larger version

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #3 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 9:52am

Beef Cake wrote on 22nd Oct, 2013 at 4:48am:
To accomplish this long term goal quicker, pull away from 'rural development' mentality.  Why not set up temporary living communities near areas where labor forces are needed for these rural folks to generate income? 

How about the land each family has in their village? Who raises thier ducks, pigs, and dogs? and their vegetables plots.

Living in temporary living communities, they will be looked down by city guys, Govt needs more money to balance that situation.

Solution: Stay where they like. Do what they like. Introducing money making companies to rural  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 10:13am

I don't care what kinda number they say.To me its bs,
Commie saying stuff just to make themselve look good.
Laos is POOR period ! well except for some of the elite.
Kinda like China saying they didn't have an AIDS problem
back in the day.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #5 - 23rd Oct, 2013 at 4:12am

Is that a horse?

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 22nd Oct, 2013 at 5:17am:

http://www.laopride.com/pictures4/unpaved-road-and-homes-in-the-rural-area-of-la...

Please click on image to view a larger version

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #6 - 24th Oct, 2013 at 10:02am

I love this road if it is as clean as it appears. That is my childhood road.  A road leading to mysterious laos mountains. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #7 - 24th Oct, 2013 at 10:04am

China did say China did not have AID problem?  Laugh

ba dac wrote on 22nd Oct, 2013 at 10:13am:
back in the day.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #8 - 25th Oct, 2013 at 11:11am

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #9 - 25th Oct, 2013 at 11:16am

peterpan wrote on 24th Oct, 2013 at 10:04am:
China did say China did not have AID problem?  Laugh

ba dac wrote on 22nd Oct, 2013 at 10:13am:
back in the day.

Peter, why would i make this stuff up ? i have nothing to
gain if i was lying.I'm just using China as example because
it like big brother to Laos.The internet is useful sometime.
Yes not everything on it is true.But do a search for info. and use your own judgement.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 286942 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85832 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137697 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74155 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50945 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77178 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60544 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47850 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43081 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35539 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum