Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laos Plans to Allow Foreigners to Purchase Land in Controversial (Read 13698 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Laos Plans to Allow Foreigners to Purchase Land in Controversial
1st Nov, 2014 at 2:32pm

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/laos/land-10302014160935.html

Very sad for someone like me who loves Laos. The longer time passes by, the more I see it get destroyed.

I've seen the projects those Vietnamese make in Laos. They are granted concessions and usually they cut a lot of timber down to sell to make furniture abroad.

Vietnamese and Chinese people don't care AT ALL about the lives of Lao people, they just want a profit. The only thing these two races care about is MONEY and they don't care who they have to hurt in order to get money.

R.I.P. Laos, sad to see you are becoming a colony of Vietnam.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Laos Plans to Allow Foreigners to Purchase Land in Controversial
Reply #1 - 2nd Nov, 2014 at 8:34am

I think they banned land purchase in 2006. They reopen the door? I can not read the artical.

Next time, you have to speak Chinese or Vietnamese back there in Lao.

Find a Chinese or Vietnamese girlfriend or both. Grin Grin Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #2 - 3rd Nov, 2014 at 1:12pm

Quote:
Laos is to allow foreign investors to purchase land under a proposed law which some groups say would discriminate against locals and threaten national sovereignty.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment is drafting an amendment to a land law allowing foreigners to purchase land for investments of at least U.S. $500,000 in the country, a high-ranking ministry official told RFA’s Lao Service.

The official said the move is aimed at attracting foreign investments to fuel the impoverished economy.

“In the draft we have added [a clause about] foreign investors [purchasing land] to promote investment, but the next step is to bring the draft for discussion at the government meeting for approval and consider adding additional recommendations,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

A committee under the ministry in charge of national land policy “agrees that we should include the right to purchase land for foreigners,” he said. “We are doing this in the highest interest of the public.”

Currently, foreign investors in Laos—the majority of whom are from China or Vietnam—are either granted land leases or concessions from the government for up to 99 years, but existing law includes no provisions to purchase land, which is all state-owned in the communist nation.

It was unclear whether the proposed amendment includes limitations on the amount of land that foreign investors can purchase or guidelines for the cost of the property.

According to the ministry official, the draft amendment will likely be submitted for review at a government meeting of various ministries by the end of November.  If the draft is approved, it must be endorsed by the National Assembly, or parliament, before it can be signed into law.

Allowing foreigners to purchase land would further entice them to invest in Laos, the official said, adding that the business they bring to the country would help to benefit the local economy.

Laos faces persistent fiscal difficulties that have forced the government to delay public infrastructure projects and cancel a cost-of-living allowance for the civil service.

Opposition to proposal

The coordinator of a communal land rights network told RFA that he was against the proposal to allow foreign investors to purchase land, saying the government should instead focus on stronger legislation to ensure that leases and concessions to foreigners do not encroach on the land of villagers.

“I don’t agree with allowing foreigners to buy land, but I do not have any objections to leases and concessions as long as they don’t affect villagers’ property,” he said, adding that selling off land to foreign interests would “turn parts of Laos into other countries.”

The coordinator, who asked not to provide his name, said that his organization works to lessen the influence of capitalism in Laos in the interest of “national liberalization and land ownership,” suggesting that the government is sacrificing sovereignty and the rights of villagers to generate income from foreign investments.

His concerns were echoed by one resident of the capital Vientiane, who told RFA that the proposed change was akin to “putting Lao territory up for sale.”

The sources also questioned why the government would grant foreign investors the right to purchase land when it does not provide the same privileges to its own citizens.

Laotians are granted the right to occupy land through the state. Some of them can sell the right to use their land if their family has inhabited it for generations.

However, citizens cannot officially own property, and the government reserves the right to reclaim land when this is deemed to be in the public interest, such as for national development projects.

Cost of concessions

So far, more than 2,600 land lease and concession agreements have been signed with investors covering 1.1 million hectares (2.7 million acres), or roughly five percent of the country, according to a report published by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment in January last year.

The report said that one out of five villages in Laos is affected by the investments, which exceed the area of the country used for wet rice production.

Most concessions in the country are granted for tree plantations and mining operations, and rights groups say the industries negatively impact local communities which rely on land, forests, and water for their livelihoods and food security. They have also led to forced evictions and compensation disputes.

Due to a growing number of land conflicts, the government of Laos had temporarily suspended the granting of concessions since 2012 after drafting an amendment to the country’s land law a year earlier.

Initially, the government called for recommendations to the draft from civil society organizations, which have proposed that villagers be given the right to participate or oppose land concessions for investment projects in their communities, including an option to receive compensation for loss of their land and farms at market value.

A version of the draft amendment made it to the National Assembly for review in mid-2013, but was rejected by the parliament and returned to the ministry for further changes.

Reported by Ounkeo Souksavanh for RFA’s Lao Service. Translated by Ounkeo Souksavanh. Written in English by Joshua Lipes.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #3 - 10th Nov, 2014 at 11:35am

A Lao proverb translates roughly into English:
"Lao people die for honor, Vietnamese people die to work"

What must be understood is that the reigning regime in the Lao PDR has close ties to Vietnamese. The military faction in the government more or less ceased control in the 90's and the upper echelon of the party is mostly comprised of veterans of the war who spent time in Vietnam and actively worked with the Viet Cong. Lao PDR has already stripcut 40% of its forests and a motorcycle ride through Champasak will make that abundantly clear. The ruling party simply does not care about the future of Lao and they will do just about anything to secure  power and make money.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #4 - 10th Nov, 2014 at 12:04pm

With origin in Lao, education in Viet, the ruling ones die for power and and honor. Grin Grin Grin

TexasCowboy wrote on 10th Nov, 2014 at 11:35am:
A Lao proverb translates roughly into English:
"Lao people die for honor, Vietnamese people die to work"

What must be understood is that the reigning regime in the Lao PDR has close ties to Vietnamese. The military faction in the government more or less ceased control in the 90's and the upper echelon of the party is mostly comprised of veterans of the war who spent time in Vietnam and actively worked with the Viet Cong. Lao PDR has already stripcut 40% of its forests and a motorcycle ride through Champasak will make that abundantly clear. The ruling party simply does not care about the future of Lao and they will do just about anything to secure  power and make money.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 18th Nov, 2014 at 11:41am

Money is the root of all evil . I think China gonna go through
another revolution. Just my opinion.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #6 - 19th Nov, 2014 at 2:20pm

Wont happen! I am sure. We chinses dont make it happen, they just leave this country. we are left rotten Grin

ba dac wrote on 18th Nov, 2014 at 11:41am:

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #7 - 21st Nov, 2014 at 11:13am

peterpan wrote on 19th Nov, 2014 at 2:20pm:
Wont happen! I am sure. We chinses dont make it happen, they just leave this country. we are left rotten Grin

ba dac wrote on 18th Nov, 2014 at 11:41am:

Peter , there's alot of corruption in the communist party right now.They been sharing the money with their families.
There is also alot people being left behind . I mean the gap
between the rich and poor. In a counrty that has 1.3 something billions of people. Less then 10 percent has all the
power and money.I betcha a cold Laos beer there will be another people revolution. Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #8 - 21st Nov, 2014 at 1:58pm

beer lao costs 1.3 USD now in a store behind my house. Small bottle one.  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78292 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248710 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133045 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69747 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47392 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73878 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57510 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45350 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40940 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33928 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum