Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Laos really peaceful? (Read 6924 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Is Laos really peaceful?
12th Dec, 2014 at 5:57am

The state-run media of Laos often does not broadcast news about murders that occur within the country and many Lao people do not know, but grisly murders actually do occur in Laos, they just go unnoticed by the masses.

I have friends who work in the judicial system and they say they see a handful of cases of murders and assaults with deadly weapons, usually from males in their late 30's to 40's.

I heard from a friend in Savannakhet about an extremely brutal slaying of two merchants by a business rival who wanted to take out the competition.

I was informed of an incident that occurred in Vientiane where a drug-addicted husband cut through his wife's neck with a knife in a drug-fueled rage.

I agree that most Lao people are non-violent but Laos is not as peaceful as some may think.

Whoever has had run-ins with violence in Laos please post here.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Re: Is Laos really peaceful?
Reply #1 - 20th Dec, 2014 at 11:10am

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of crimes and such.They just don't have enough news outlet or reporter to report on them.When poor people kill each other they don't care.Now
if a poor person kill someone who has power or money that's
gonna be a front page news.Kinda like people in the ghetto
kill each other all the time.But alot of time it doesn't get air
time cause its black on black crime.But if you throw a white
victim in the mix .Well you know where i'm getting at.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: Is Laos really peaceful?
Reply #2 - 24th Dec, 2014 at 10:29am

That is life. From my experiences, if they want money, give them money, just keep alive and out of trouble. Back in 1997, I crossed Thai-Lao border, they asked money, I grumbled, my friend said sorry and handed over 1 dollar.  some years ago, our car was stopped, they asked maybe money, my interpretor talked with them for nealy 5 minutes.  Then, I said sorry, gave them about 40 dollar. Everyone was happy.  They even spoke Bye Bye in Chinese. I think next time we meet if we are lucky, we will be friends drinking beer Lao. Grin

Therefore, I think Laos peaceful.  Grin Grin Grin

ba dac wrote on 20th Dec, 2014 at 11:10am:
I'm pretty sure there's plenty of crimes and such.They just don't have enough news outlet or reporter to report on them.When poor people kill each other they don't care.Now
if a poor person kill someone who has power or money that's
gonna be a front page news.Kinda like people in the ghetto
kill each other all the time.But alot of time it doesn't get air
time cause its black on black crime.But if you throw a white
victim in the mix .Well you know where i'm getting at.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 284942 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85564 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137474 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 73961 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50778 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77024 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60391 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47734 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 42989 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35465 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum