Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What type of business would you create in Lao ? (Read 44546 times)

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Awards: 2
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Re: What type of business would you create in Lao ?
Reply #30 - 6th May, 2017 at 10:10am

I'm just saying . I know it will never happen . Just a thought Peter

View Profile  
IP Logged

mitch
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #31 - 6th May, 2017 at 11:07am

ba dac wrote on 6th May, 2017 at 10:10am:

I really enjoy spending time in Laos, sometimes thought about moving there for the right opportunity.  If I had the money I'd start a restaurant there.  Problem is, I think foreigners have a lot of restrictions placed on them on owning or renting property, so I don't how to get set up.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #32 - 6th May, 2017 at 1:09pm

mitch wrote on 6th May, 2017 at 11:07am:

I really enjoy spending time in Laos, sometimes thought about moving there for the right opportunity.  If I had the money I'd start a restaurant there.  Problem is, I think foreigners have a lot of restrictions placed on them on owning or renting property, so I don't how to get set up.

Why can't they look across the border and see how well the others countries are doing . Even Burma has open up and encourage foreign investment. The commie that are in charge either they too greedy or not thinking of the future.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #33 - 7th May, 2017 at 11:50pm

Burma has opened up, but the same people are still in power behind the scenes. They just did it to boost the economy and get richer.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #34 - 8th May, 2017 at 10:19am

well at least they have a bigger pot to steal from. hopefully
some of the crumbs will fall for the little people.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Satan
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #35 - 18th May, 2017 at 6:56am

Is there a market for male strip club? Grin Cheesy Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

cathy
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 8:25am

ba dac wrote on 6th May, 2017 at 1:09pm:
mitch wrote on 6th May, 2017 at 11:07am:

Why can't they look across the border and see how well the others countries are doing . Even Burma has open up and encourage foreign investment. The commie that are in charge either they too greedy or not thinking of the future.

I think things will change in Laos. More people are becoming aware of Laos and are traveling there. There's a lot of foreigners visiting Laos and posting videos of their travels up on Youtube. I think a good business to have would be a hotel or tour company- if you do it right. If you look at some of the reviews on hotels in Laos on yelp and other similar sites, you'll find that some foreigners are disappointed in regards to customer service, cleanliness, upkeep and the quality of the rooms. I remember one particular review that showed the shower door was installed incorrectly. So I think that a hotel that prioritizes quality and customer service would do very well but it would take a lot of work.

Laos is a developing nation. In terms of business, it means that if you can do it better than anyone else in the country then you'll probably be successful. Since there's not a lot in Laos, you can basically bring any type of business in and have moderate success, I think. And if you're the first of your type of business and you build up your brand reputation, treat people right then you can probably build a business empire. Yes I KNOW it's a crazy thought because it's Laos. But things change and cultures change and I do think that Laos will become more prosperous.

IP Logged

cathy
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 8:56am

Also, Laos is in the middle of SE Asia,which is definitely an advantage. If I was a billionaire, I would build a transportation network that connects the different countries to each other. Bullet trains, regular transport and cargo trains, airport terminals. I know there's already trains and planes in Laos but I would expand the network and connect the country.

Then I would start an Air Conditioning supply and maintenance company  Grin Grin

IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #38 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 10:08am

Quote:
Also, Laos is in the middle of SE Asia,which is definitely an advantage. If I was a billionaire, I would build a transportation network that connects the different countries to each other. Bullet trains, regular transport and cargo trains, airport terminals. I know there's already trains and planes in Laos but I would expand the network and connect the country.

Then I would start an Air Conditioning supply and maintenance company  Grin Grin

Applause this I agree . I think cause we are land lock and pretty stable in that region. I think a nuclear power plant and provide the area with power. That's a great idea.

View Profile  
IP Logged

daft

Miss Judy's #1 John Wayne
American Fan

Reply #39 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 10:37am

If the Japanese lack the technological sophistication to safely use nuclear power, i.e.; Fukushima, what confidence could one have in Laotian technological sophistication?

Perhaps some kind solar powered ceiling fans would help with heat and if priced right would be affordable.

Lacking oceanic ports makes trade difficult. One reason why America became so powerful; no country can match the number of natural world class ports we have. Combined with America's navigable inland waterways makes shipping so easy and cheap here. Sadly almost all landlocked countries are the poorest in their region.

View Profile  
IP Logged

cathy
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 3:33pm

daft wrote on 25th Jul, 2017 at 10:37am:
  If the Japanese lack the technological sophistication to safely use nuclear power, i.e.; Fukushima, what confidence could one have in Laotian technological sophistication?

Perhaps some kind solar powered ceiling fans would help with heat and if priced right would be affordable.

Lacking oceanic ports makes trade difficult. One reason why America became so powerful; no country can match the number of natural world class ports we have. Combined with America's navigable inland waterways makes shipping so easy and cheap here. Sadly almost all landlocked countries are the poorest in their region.

Wind and solar farms to produce more electricity to export to neighboring countries. Since Laos is landlocked, it would be good to concentrate on exports and limit imports. Are the goods that Lao people purchase for daily use produced in Laos or outside the country?I think that's something  to look into.Toilet paper company anyone?  Cheesy 

There's a lot of landlocked countries in Europe that are quite prosperous, like Switzerland. I think the Lao people could benefit from studying their economy and also learning from the mistakes of neighboring countries, like Thailand,  in their quest for wealth.

Of course one of us could write an epic fantasy novel like Lord of the Rings,promote the hell out of it to the point that it becomes a best seller and  have the movie version filmed in Laos Peter Jackson style  Grin Grin

IP Logged

cathy
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 3:47pm

daft wrote on 25th Jul, 2017 at 10:37am:

Solar powered ceiling fans are a good idea. If it can be exported to neighboring countries, that would be good.

IP Logged

daft

Miss Judy's #1 John Wayne
American Fan

Reply #42 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 3:54pm

The hard part about limiting imports, especially from China, is that people want the electronics and other goods Laos cannot make.

Also Switzerland was historically (William Tell era) a very poor area with terrible roads. Most landlocked countries have it tough; Bolivia, Central African Republic, Afghanistan. True, Kazakhstan is doing well, they have oil.

Since Laos has no oil, maybe they could export some of their excellent beer!

View Profile  
IP Logged

cathy
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 4:05pm

daft wrote on 25th Jul, 2017 at 3:54pm:
  The hard part about limiting imports, especially from China, is that people want the electronics and other goods Laos cannot make.

Also Switzerland was historically (William Tell era) a very poor area with terrible roads. Most landlocked countries have it tough; Bolivia, Central African Republic, Afghanistan. True, Kazakhstan is doing well, they have oil.

Since Laos has no oil, maybe they could export some of their excellent beer!

That's good about Switzerland! They started off poor like Laos and then turned their country around. Very inspirational.

IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #44 - 25th Jul, 2017 at 4:56pm

The problem is the people in charge are close minded creedy communist. Nobody wanna invest in a country
like that to much corruption. They don't think or care for the future of Lao . They just wanna stuff their fat pocket today. Look how well South Korea turn out. They invested
in education and look how well its paying off. They are making everything and exporting it.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68351 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245606 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130917 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67120 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45851 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72417 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56097 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44253 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39955 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33195 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum