Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coconut in Vientiane (Read 16502 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Coconut in Vientiane
22nd Nov, 2008 at 1:31am

laopride70.jpg

laopride71.jpg

laopride72.jpg

laopride73.jpg

laopride74.jpg

laopride75.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Re: Coconut in Vientiane
Reply #1 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 11:12pm

Makes me thirsty. I think I may have to go buy one or 2 soon now.  Smiley

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 8:50am

Enjoy it, it's good for you.

Coconut water is my favourite drink.

IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #3 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 11:52am

I will join you on that and mix with rum.  How much do they sell it for in Vientiane?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 5:39pm

It depends where you buy them.

If you buy them off the carts like the picture above, it's 3,000 kip (38c US). Small shops sell them for 4,000 kip (50c US). And coconuts in restaurants are sold up to 10,000 kip ($1.25 US).

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 9:21pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 20th Mar, 2011 at 5:39pm:
It depends where you buy them.

If you buy them off the carts like the picture above, it's 3,000 kip (38c US). Small shops sell them for 4,000 kip (50c US). And coconuts in restaurants are sold up to 10,000 kip ($1.25 US).

Wow for 50c I will drink them everyday. I also love coconut. Now I really miss the the motherland.
Cry

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 10:38pm

Some locals get sick of them, because they drink them too often.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 12:33am

I remember when I was a kids. My grandfather have few coconut tree in his house. I think I'll get sick of them too if I drink them everyday. But I love coconut. The one in the market here is not that good because its not fresh.
Cool Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #8 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 2:48am

Coconuts in Laos should taste better than the ones sold in the US probably of different varieites of coconut.  Coconuts sold in Laos are most likely grown 'organically' as well so taste should be much better than 'conventiionally' grown coconuts.

llX wrote on 21st Mar, 2011 at 12:33am:
I remember when I was a kids. My grandfather have few coconut tree in his house. I think I'll get sick of them too if I drink them everyday. But I love coconut. The one in the market here is not that good because its not fresh.
Cool Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 6:55pm

PEACE wrote on 21st Mar, 2011 at 2:48am:
Coconuts in Laos should taste better than the ones sold in the US probably of different varieites of coconut.  Coconuts sold in Laos are most likely grown 'organically' as well so taste should be much better than 'conventiionally' grown coconuts.

It would be nice to believe that indigenous, local varieties grown organically taste better than modern varieties.  Unfortunately, that is generally not the case.

Have you ever eaten a wild carrot?  I have and believe me, you wouldn't like it - they are incredibly bitter as well as being tiny.  The modern tasty varieties of all the vegetables we eat are the result of hundreds of years of selective breeding by farmers.  Unfortunately, in Laos, there has been little selective breeding for taste and size - especially of livestock.

Those of you in the U.S. typically enjoy a Thanksgiving turkey that looks like this:

thanksgiving-turkey.jpg

You won't find any local Lao poultry with even a quarter of the amount of meat on that bird.

Same applies to local varieties of cows, pigs, etc as well as many vegetables.  Boy, what I would give for some of my home country's 'Jersey New Potatoes' right now!

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 9:31pm

Thankgiving is one of my favorite holiday. That's a good looking turkey.
Tongue

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #11 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 9:36pm

That's true because it's not fresh here. Maybe weather have something to do with it too. Here I think they grew them in California, Florida or Hawaii. For cow, pig, chicken they used protein or vitamin to feed the animals to make them grow faster with more meat.  In Laos it's all natural, organic.
Cool Wink

PEACE wrote on 21st Mar, 2011 at 2:48am:
Coconuts in Laos should taste better than the ones sold in the US probably of different varieites of coconut.  Coconuts sold in Laos are most likely grown 'organically' as well so taste should be much better than 'conventiionally' grown coconuts.

llX wrote on 21st Mar, 2011 at 12:33am:
Cool Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 10:57pm

judy-garland-thanksgiving.jpg

I wouldn't mind trying Miss Garland's turkey.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #13 - 22nd Mar, 2011 at 12:42am

Looking good. Nice turkey dinner with cold BeerLao.
Tongue

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 21st Mar, 2011 at 10:57pm:
[img]

I wouldn't mind trying Miss Garland's turkey.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14303 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93534 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296696 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143108 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79007 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54993 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80836 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63765 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50469 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45344 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum