Send Topic Print
Weather in Lao (Read 8899 times)

matt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Anywhere but here

Weather in Lao
11th Aug, 2009 at 11:32pm

It's been a little quiet here, so I thought I would start a topic. As some may know I am a US citizen planning an extended stay in Lao. My topic is regarding the weather. I have looked at many weather reports and history for Lao. In comparison to my city, the weather looks very mild.

I will give you the temperature details of my current home in the USA. The hot season in my city is 38 C (100 F) or above. The cold season is -17 C (0 F) and often below. The weather in Lao looks very nice in comparison.

Feel free to post any comments regarding Lao or the weather wherever you might be today. Have a great day everyone.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Re: Weather in Lao
Reply #1 - 12th Aug, 2009 at 12:37am

I'm in the dirty south and it's hot in here. Summers are around 40C with humidity and winters, if you can call it that are around 10C and I don't even need to turn on my heat. When I lived in Canada, the summers were around 20-30C and winters were a chilly -25C on average, otherwise -35C with the windchill. I hated snow and I hated hearing people in tropical countries tell me how pretty snow is since they've never even seen it ever. Try to live in it for 6 months out of a year, driving in it, walking in it, shovelling it, freezing in it, then tell me how pretty you think it is then. I think the perfect weather is having all 4 seasons present throughout the year. I lived on the west coast and it was somewhat like that, summers were warm, autumn had colorful leaves, winter was a wonderland, and spring showers bloomed fresh flowers. I was a poet and didn't even know it. I wonder if we have to worry about things like typhoons or tsunami's or floods from heavy rains in laos. I know there is a rainy season and most bamboo houses are built off the ground, maybe to avoid flooding. I think I saw a rainbow while in Luang Prabang on top of the monument overlooking the city.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 12th Aug, 2009 at 3:39am

It's usually hot in Laos, even the rainy season is hot. The weather is more tropical, where as maybe in America you have dry, humid summers.

The gutter system in Laos is not good so it always floods when there is heavy rain. Houses are lifted higher if they are too low.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

DIN FAR
Reply #3 - 15th Apr, 2011 at 12:43pm

How's Vientiane drainage system?  Looking at some of the side profiles of the city, Vientiane is built on a gently sloping surface is it so? If so most of water should drain directly to the Mekong River.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Aug, 2009 at 3:39am:
It's usually hot in Laos, even the rainy season is hot. The weather is more tropical, where as maybe in America you have dry, humid summers.

The gutter system in Laos is not good so it always floods when there is heavy rain. Houses are lifted higher if they are too low.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 15th Apr, 2011 at 5:56pm

Currently I don't think Vientiane have drainage system. They're working on it. Little rain sometime will cause flood.
Shocked Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 15th Apr, 2011 at 5:59pm

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #6 - 15th Apr, 2011 at 8:29pm

Just level the low spots with soil for right now. What is the lithology directly below the topmost soil horizon? 

llX wrote on 15th Apr, 2011 at 5:56pm:
Currently I don't think Vientiane have drainage system. They're working on it. Little rain sometime will cause flood.
Shocked Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 16th Apr, 2011 at 3:47am

I'm not sure.
Shocked

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 3106 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 87801 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 291701 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 139280 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 75598 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52134 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78213 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61468 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48641 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43729 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum