Send Topic Print
learn lao (Read 15631 times)

laoshu
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Austria
learn lao
1st Jan, 2010 at 8:08pm

hi, i am new to this forum. after reading some topics i have decided to register. so here i am.

as you can see in the message title i am interested in learning lao in laos - more specific in vientiane. i was born in laos but i cannot speak lao anymore. my story is a bit complicated i don't want to bore you guys.

i have been in vientiane this year for the first time after 30 years. i really love laos now.

the next time i go to laos maybe end of this year 2010 i want to go for studying the language too not only for traveling. at my last visit i already bought some books.

my question to you guys is how can i find out which schools, university teach foreign people lao in vientiane? or are there any private teacher i can contact? when i go i plan to stay with the locals. so i am constantly in touch with the language.

do you guys have advice for me? thanx in advance.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: learn lao
Reply #1 - 1st Jan, 2010 at 11:41pm

Welcome to the Lao Pride forum. Stay with us for exclusive images of  Laos throughout the year.

Why do you want to learn Lao language after all these years? And strangely, why didn't you contact anyone or any school when you visited Vientiane?

I don't have any connections with teachers because I don't go to school, but there's some international schools in Vientiane where the locals and foreigners like to go and study.

http://www.laophotos.com/internationalschools/internationalschools.html

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Want Laos To Be Independence
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

FREEDOM FIGHTER

Reply #2 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 1:03am

Adm, Why ask why?
you so mean
Just be kind to all human being OK.......

First I start liked you then now I don't know......
Please don't be
MEAN
to me.

Be kind to those who kind to you,
  Lao Dallas,TX (
US Laos
)

Power to the people
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 1:53am

Mean? I don't think there was any malice in my "just out of curiosity" questions. I'm sorry if I caused any offense.

I'm kind, sweet and caring to all human beings.

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 3:40am

I'm learning Laos right now too dude. I mean, I know how to speak and I understand most of the words people use except the complicated ones. I started learning how to read and write laos when I was in high school and then resumed it after I finished univ. My father would teach me. Knowing your own language is a good thing even though when you grow up in another country, most kids think it's unkool to speak their own language. When they are kids they don't want to learn or speak their own language but when they grow older, they realize that they can't ignore what they truly are. I know many kids who can't speak their own native language, it's a shame. They grow up thinking they are white and then reality bites and they realize who they really are but now it's a bit late.

Anyways, Laos is just one language I would like to become fluent in. When I'm in Laos, I plan on hiring me a personal teacher to help me learn. Start with the basics first, bumh boh bah...

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

laoshu
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Austria
Reply #5 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 8:13am

wow. i didn't expect answers that quick.

first thanx for the warm welcome.

actually your questions adm are justified. to answer your first question. i feel like i have to because of reasons buk hoo kee already mentioned. it is as there was always something missing. when i visited laos i felt i found it.

when i was in laos it was the first time and i didn't expect that i will love laos. i travelled a lot so i didn't stay at one place very long. my intention was also get know as much of laos as i can within 3 weeks. as we all know it is impossible. the country is so big and there are a lot of places i have not yet been. that's the reason i didn't search for schools.

the link is very good. what i didn't find is a link to the international schools. have i overlooked it?

buk hoo kee you have an advantage because you learned it in school. Smiley do you have any good resources for learning lao? i live in austria and i don't know lao people whom i could ask.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 9:25am

The end of this year is still a while to go. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find someone, ordinary people in Laos will be willing to teach you Lao language because they are in need of money. Learning Lao is a slow process that will take some time to understand.

There isn't a link to the international schools, just pictures. Vientiane International School was funded by the Americans, it's where foreigners go to study many types of courses including learning Lao. I recommend private lessons with the locals, it's cheaper and easier to ask for help.

IP Logged

laoshu
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Austria
Reply #7 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 12:27pm

you are right adm. the year 2010 has just started. so i have plenty of time for planning.

i agree with you. i would also prefer taking private language lessons. i could think about staying with a family for a couple of weeks like exchange students do it. that's how i will learn most of my visit i guess.

but how can i get contacts to those families? this is what i am asking myself the whole time. i did some research on the internet but so far no meaningful results.

maybe you guys have an idea.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 2nd Jan, 2010 at 10:41pm

Seeing you were born in Laos, don't you have any relatives in the country who could teach you or recommend someone for you?

When I am free, I can help find a tutor in Vientiane and provide you with their contact details soon. You may also find other people throughout the course of the year so there will be some options.

If I come across any Lao family who is prepared to let a stranger stay at their place, and give Lao language lessons at the same time, then I will also post the details here.

IP Logged

laoshu
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Austria
Reply #9 - 3rd Jan, 2010 at 10:46am

thank you, that is very kind from you.

unfortunately all my relatives also left laos when we did. it is a pity otherwise i would have more contact to laos.

btw i found the url of vientiane international school which you mentioned in your last post. it is http://www.vislao.com/

i will also try there to get some contacts.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #10 - 3rd Jan, 2010 at 9:30pm

If you want to learn online, there is a good online resource that was put together which I also learn from. I also live in an area where there are no laos people around me, just alone by myself. I have a few books but I have surpassed them so I go online to view lao news and read for practise. If you aren't lazy, you can do it yourself. There is also audio so you can actually hear the pronunciation. A lot of online lao news sites will also have audio and video. You have to immerse yourself in it to become fluent, but it can be done.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/lao/lao3.htm

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

laoshu
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Austria
Reply #11 - 5th Jan, 2010 at 9:53am

that is a very good site Buk Hoo Kee. it is a good starting point. i will keep you updated about my progress.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 285510 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85639 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137539 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74012 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50823 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77066 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60436 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47766 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43010 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35485 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum