Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Dudes, WE CAN GO HOME! (Read 75544 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Dudes, WE CAN GO HOME!
19th Jan, 2010 at 10:23pm

I can't believe it myself when I read this news, almost brought tears to my eyes. I will only believe it once I really see it for myself though cause I still don't trust the commies.

I read it on another board I found recently where many Lao foreigners (Laosy Americans mostly) go to chat.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=98894&p=3&topicID=29053908

Also they are encouraging us to go visit longer in hopes to actually stay and " take part in the development process".

http://laovoices.com/2010/01/06/lao-expatriates-may-get-long-stay-visit-visas/

And for the record, I always wondered how many of us there were around the world but this is a pretty good number that I think is accurate,
"According to Ministry of Foreign Affairs estimates, there are about 600,000 native born Lao living overseas"
Could you guys imagine if we ALL went home? We would rule!

I like this statement the most though as long as they aren't lying:

"He said the Lao government did not consider history to be the basis of rules for development, adding that native born Lao, wherever they are, should join hands to develop the motherland.

Officials said the government had opened up Laos to the world and now needed the united forces of Lao people all around the world to develop the nation."

"Mr Bouasone said the government looked forward to the future instead of getting stuck in past history, which it could not change.

M r Bouasone urged Lao expatriates who had adopted the nationality of other countries to become good citizens of those countries. He urged them to study technology and use their knowledge to develop Laos , while teaching the younger generation about Lao culture so they could come back to Laos ."

http://seeharhed.wordpress.com/2009/12/21/lao-government-urged-expatriates-to-co...

They are finally asking for our help, they are smarter than I thought. My whole point of view has changed now.
Now I just wonder if the Hmong can go home too?

So who wants to go home now dudes? I will be there soon and give admin a wet kiss while I wait for the rest of you. I'm willing to give up my 70k/yr job too.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Re: Dudes, WE CAN GO HOME!
Reply #1 - 19th Jan, 2010 at 11:30pm

umm I guess you are single with no tie.....I got to wait for a while until the children finish the College(I mean paying the fee) Slav for my family first....before the country..... See you in about 3 years......

View Profile  
IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 20th Jan, 2010 at 2:50am

Buk Hoo Kee,

I actually read that yesterday and like you I am quite HAPPY and SURPRISED at the same time.  THAT IS GOOD NEWS TO ALL LAOTIANS LIVING ABROAD who have been away for 30+ years and WANT TO GO HOME!

But as ANY good consumer and attorneys will tell you, READ THE FINE PRINTS!  Nothing is SET IN STONE YET! According to the article you mentioned in "laovoices" the first 4 words are "The government is considering..."

I actually found the article on www.voanews.com/lao and here is an exerpt:

"Also included in the new policy are provisions to accommodate other needs of Lao expatriates who return home, such as granting the rights to use and own land, buildings, and other types of properties to those who invest more than US$ 300,000 in Laos."

One can translate this to mean:

"YOU CAN ONLY OWN LAND OR PROPERTY IF YOU BRING $300,000 TO INVEST IN LAOS"

OR in LAYMEN'S TERMS

"ONLY COME TO LAOS IF YOU HAVE MONEY"

"DON'T EXPECT ANY SPECIAL PRIVILEDGES IF YOU DON'T HAVE MORE THAN $300,000"

HERE'S ANOTHER PROVISION "

"The government will also make it especially easier for native Laotians from abroad to marry  Lao nationals."  

My cousin went to Laos and married a local and brought her to America. It wasn't hard at all!  The hardest part was WAITING FOR PAPERWORK!  How much easier can it get?  WAITING FOR PAPER IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S PROBLEM!

In all honesty I am happy and excited to HEAR the government's plan to WELCOME back expatriates, whether to live permantly or to come back and invest AND contribute to the growth and progress of our homeland. But just as TYPICAL of policies announced by the Laotian government IT IS VAGUE and BROADLY stated.

BHK - The above are just ideas or plans the government has for 2010. It has NOT been approved or signed into LAW.  I would SUGGEST waiting for these below before QUITTING your JOB!:

>LAW TO FINALLY PASS
>OBTAIN THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION
>READ ALL THE FINE PRINTS

One Question that I have is - WHY MUST THERE BE A DOLLAR VALUE ATTACHED? If you TRUELY want to welcome LAOTIANS home, why put that $300,000 price tag as a CONDITION to owning property?

Just a question for debate and discussion.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 20th Jan, 2010 at 4:29am

Most Laotians from abroad live in properties that's over $300,000 so I guess that amount isn't alot to ask.

Also, you don't need to own property to live in Laos.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 20th Jan, 2010 at 8:47am

hahahaha admin.  It is all about money.  Show me the money!!!!!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Worthless Laotian Refugee
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 20th Jan, 2010 at 7:18pm

So you guys are telling me, I have to have $300,000. A poor and broke-ass like me can't go back home that was you saying......?

That's cold. Every things is about $$$ Money $$$

How about $300 is this Ok
?

View Profile  
IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd

I Love Laos!

Reply #6 - 20th Jan, 2010 at 9:24pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 20th Jan, 2010 at 4:29am:
Most Laotians from abroad live in properties that's over $300,000 so I guess that amount isn't alot to ask.

Also, you don't need to own property to live in Laos.

ADMIN - That's a pretty BOLD statement you made there. I don't know where you got your information from that MOST people own homes more than 300k.  

I was in Viengchan in 07' and I saw this VERY NICE HOUSE that was worth like $300,000..(per my guide).  But next to that house, were old, broken down, homes, and just next to LOWER PRICED HOMES.

Speaking for AMERICA You will NOT find a $500,000 house NEXT TO a $50,000 HOUSE!

Unlike Laos, property values in America depends on what state you live in, what area, what neighborhood. Homes in the 300k range will have LIKE homes AT, AROUND or HIGHER IN PRICES!  It may be TRUE, MANY people do OWN homes with $300,000, but that doesn't mean THEY HAVE $300,000.  They may have a mortgage loan on the house all the way up to $300,000, depending on their credit and how much they put as a down payment.

300k house
-275k loan

25k equity!  THAT'S EQUITY! NOT REAL HARD CASH!

You are CORRECT, Laotian expats do NOT need to own property to live in Laos.  People can stay with relatives or have CLOSE relatives buy the property in their name.

But "GOVERNMENT'S PLAN" is talking about EXPATS WANT TO OWN LAND, PROPERTY THEY MUST INVEST MORE THAN $300,000.

> Worthless Refugee:

You can still go back to Laos, visit or reside, but, according to the PLAN, YOU CAN NOT OWN PROPERTY (BUY IN YOUR NAME) IF YOU DON'T BRING $300,000 TO INVEST!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #7 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 12:21am

$300,000 ! You f@k!ng kidding me? If I had $300k I would not need to go to one of the poorest countries in the world, Laos. Okay, these commies are on crack, cause they really don't know what's up in the world. In Laos, cash might be king, but in the west, credit is gold. Perhaps the commies think that if we can afford to give away a few million dollars to them in foreign aid every month then we are damn rich over here and money grows on trees. Just because our gov'ts are stupid enough to give them money in aid that they pocket from corruption doesn't mean a Lao expatriot has that kind of money to lose. There are 600,000 Laotians living in foreign countries, how many of them are millionaires or have even $100k in cash? How many of them even have a high paying job? I barely have 20k in my account and NO, I don't own a house, I rent an apartment. I have 20k worth of student loans left and bills to pay everday like everyone else. I have a university degree and can come and "help develop" the country but doesn't sound like they are looking for help, they are looking for $$$$$$$$300,000. Don't they realize that beggars cannot be choosers?

Suppose I even had $300k to go to invest in Laos. How long do you think it would take me to get my investment back? ROI/ROE, rate of returns? I can buy a franchise like subway or something here that could make me more money.

My sister and her husband saved for 5 years before they could afford a down payment on their first house. They put $20k down payment on a $180k house. They both work at avg. paying jobs ~$18/hr. They sold that house 3 years later for $240k and made some money after the renovations, $20k. They then bought their second house $360k with a 30 year mortgage. This is two people working after about 15 years now. I am guessing they have about $80k in equity in this house so far and 20 more years to go in order to pay it off. By that time, they should be around 55 years old. I can't see them wanting to sell their house in 20 years to go back to Laos and start over again and live in a 3rd world country especially when they are old. They live in Canada where there is free health care also so why would anyone want to risk going to Laos with $300k that takes a lifetime to accumulate? I could live like a king here with $300k or go to laos and give them my $300k and still be poor, that's a hard decision, hmmmm.

Okay I take it all back, you commies are even more stupid than I thought. Good luck finding that sucker with $300k cash.

Are you sure they are talking $300,000 kips? Fook me, fook you too.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd

I Love Laos!

Reply #8 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 1:48am

BHK....I thought I'd get that reaction from you!

Here's an excerpt from:

http://laovoices.com/2010/01/06/lao-expatriates-may-get-long-stay-visit-visas/

"The Lao National Assembly has approved a newly revised investment promotion law, which allows foreigners who invest US$500,000 in Laos to own land use rights here. The government expects to promulgate the law early this year."

From www.voanews.com/lao :

"Also included in the new policy are provisions to accommodate other needs of Lao expatriates who return home, such as granting the rights to use and own land, buildings, and other types of properties to those who invest more than US$ 300,000 in Laos."

And NO..NOT $300,000 KIP!  That would only equate to ABOUT $30.

There's also the RISK factor.  You're bringing 300-500k to INVEST in a developing country that has opportunities to grow BUT is there a high enough of a DEMAND?  Keep in mind now..you're investing US$ but cash receipts will be in local currency of KIP.

How long before you start seeing results of your investment? How long before breakeven?

$100 USD = 1,000,000 KIP (approximately).

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #9 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 2:14am

Why do they allow the Chinese and Vietnamese and Thai's to go live there for free, buy up all the land, take all the natural resources, but put a ticket price of $300k price tag for a brother Lao who just wants to come back and help his own people and country. It was bad enough they killed off my relatives and forced me to become a refugee and immigrate to another country 30 years ago, now they saying I can come back as long as I give them everything I have ever earned by living in a better country. They really expect me to give up my life savings so I can own some dirt in Laos. That's a pretty good scam, steal the land that I used to own 30 years ago and sell it to me now for $300k. I got to hand it to these commies, they almost had me there, almost.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd

I Love Laos!

Reply #10 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 3:54am

HATE TO BUST YOUR BUBLE!

Example: Assume new law is passed about foreigners OWNING land and property.

So you go to Laos, buy a huge piece of land and build a house for $300,000.  You are the legal owner of both house and land?

Think again!

Yes you are legal and registered owner. But in a communist form of government,

"land is the property of the Lao national community"

Technically the communist government OWNS ALL LAND! The government can RECLAIM and RESETTLE you to a new location and you have NO SAY!

Real example:

To build facilities for the recent SEA games just outside Viengchan, many villagers lost their home and land.  The government SEIZED and RESETTLED villagers to a new location and they couldn't do a DAMN THING!!

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

View Profile  
IP Logged

samilux
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #11 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 4:08am

why so important the land!!!!? since so many bad review to comeback lao

View Profile  
IP Logged

Worthless Laotian Refugee
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #12 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 8:20am

So you guys are telling me, Jex and Keow are living in Laos freely and  Lao like us can't go back and live there.......
I heard they said : "there not much Lao living in Laos this day"
Most of them are Jex and Koew

Aren't they going to give us our homes and lands back to us?

Jex = a person who is living in Lao or thailand
Keow = a person who is living in lao
Viet = a person who is living in Vietnam or elsewhere but not living in Laos
Chin = a person who is living in China or elsewhere but not living in Laos

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #13 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 1:19pm

Hi Worthless Laotian Refugee

What do you mean! your are living freely in American too. Please don't make a silly racist remark that you don't want other to treat you.

View Profile  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #14 - 22nd Jan, 2010 at 12:52am

I am sorry guys, I don't think I want to invest $300,000 in Laos. I rather put in stocks and bonds or mutual funds or something. At least I know I have an average returns of 6% to 12%.  I know the economy is bad, but sooner or later the cycle will end.  Things will pick up and back in normal.  Just like a stock market chart, when it hits the bottom of the chart then it is time to go back up.  As much as I love Laos to live there is not possible for me.  I am saying that I get used to all these conveniences.  I am intent to stay where I am.  Absolutely, I would love to go back for a visit.  Good luck for those are going back to invest your hard earned money.  I agreed with buk hoo kee.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 11694 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 92265 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 295463 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 142200 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 78216 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54341 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80232 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63244 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50076 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44965 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum