Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why "Lao" is used as derogatory word in Thailand? (Read 54441 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Why "Lao" is used as derogatory word in Thailand?
16th Jul, 2011 at 12:06pm

Why "Lao" is used as derogatory word in Thailand?
http://www.youtube.com/user/1ProudLao#p/u/2/YQbTqaRzyGY

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Why "Lao" is used as derogatory word in Thailand?
Reply #1 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:08pm

This is sad I though we Lao/Tai are brother.
Embarrassed Cry

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #2 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:11pm

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #3 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:13pm

View Profile  
IP Logged

JSEA
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Reply #4 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 12:51am

Because they're jealous they can't eat real spicy food like in Laos.

Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

sss
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #5 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 1:39am

Some of us did that in the bad old days but we don't do it any more since we now have a better understanding of Laos. In the past, the only people who used the word derogatorily were those who lived in Bangkok. They believed themselves the center of the universe and anything deviated from their standards was considered rustic or uncivilized. It was part of their ancient politics where racism was employed to uphold their ethnic unity and supremacy. They have all the derogatory words to address foreigners and ethnic minorities and even the Thais who live in remoter areas. It is never used negatively by the Thais elsewhere. We don't do it any more these days even in Bangkok after all the campaigns and education at schools. The Thais who still use the word derogatorily are only a bunch of idiots who are uneducated and are probably racist to all our neighboring countries. Most Thai people today love Laos and we always enjoy our trips to Vientienne, Luang Phrabang and beyond. The number of Thai tourists to Laos far exceeds the number of tourists of any nationality. If the majority of us do not like Laos or Lao people, why is it that so many of us prefer to cross the border to spend our vacations there and come back with so many positive reports and impressions. I always teach the young ones to respect Laos and all our neighbors. If you happen to find those retarded Thais who never learn to keep up with the reality and shut up, my advice is either to slap them right away or just ignore them as idiots. They are stupid and they won't be able to do much but talk shit. By the way, I'm Thai from Thailand and I plan to visit Laos very soon. I found your topic as I was trying to search for information for my future trip to Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #6 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 9:41am

Is 'eco-tourism' part of your plan as well?

Quote:
Some of us did that in the bad old days but we don't do it any more since we now have a better understanding of Laos. In the past, the only people who used the word derogatorily were those who lived in Bangkok. They believed themselves the center of the universe and anything deviated from their standards was considered rustic or uncivilized. It was part of their ancient politics where racism was employed to uphold their ethnic unity and supremacy. They have all the derogatory words to address foreigners and ethnic minorities and even the Thais who live in remoter areas. It is never used negatively by the Thais elsewhere. We don't do it any more these days even in Bangkok after all the campaigns and education at schools. The Thais who still use the word derogatorily are only a bunch of idiots who are uneducated and are probably racist to all our neighboring countries. Most Thai people today love Laos and we always enjoy our trips to Vientienne, Luang Phrabang and beyond. The number of Thai tourists to Laos far exceeds the number of tourists of any nationality. If the majority of us do not like Laos or Lao people, why is it that so many of us prefer to cross the border to spend our vacations there and come back with so many positive reports and impressions. I always teach the young ones to respect Laos and all our neighbors. If you happen to find those retarded Thais who never learn to keep up with the reality and shut up, my advice is either to slap them right away or just ignore them as idiots. They are stupid and they won't be able to do much but talk shit. By the way, I'm Thai from Thailand and I plan to visit Laos very soon. I found your topic as I was trying to search for information for my future trip to Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #7 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 1:02pm

llX wrote on 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:08pm:
Embarrassed Cry

No we are NOT!

Lao and Issan are pinong. NOT! the Siamese. Angry

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

JSEA
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Reply #8 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 2:11pm

Isn't Tai different than Thai? I thought Tai was like...the mountain tribes near the Vietnamese border or something...

View Profile  
IP Logged

hankido
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 8:01pm

I am not an expert, but I believe that the Tai people are found in the mountains. In China, there's a minority people called the "Dai." I think they are the same too.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 18th Jul, 2011 at 9:21am

Agreed. Where have you been bro? Long time no see.
Wink Smiley

Larb Dip wrote on 17th Jul, 2011 at 1:02pm:
llX wrote on 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:08pm:
Embarrassed Cry

No we are NOT!

Lao and Issan are pinong. NOT! the Siamese. Angry

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #11 - 18th Jul, 2011 at 9:22am

Agreed. Tai are ethnics minority from China.

Quote:
I am not an expert, but I believe that the Tai people are found in the mountains. In China, there's a minority people called the "Dai." I think they are the same too.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #12 - 18th Jul, 2011 at 9:24am

Majority of Lao/Thai has no problem, just few bad apple in every tree.

I will never be offended if somebody called me Lao this Lao thats. We Lao-American are proud to be Lao.
Smiley Wink

sss wrote on 17th Jul, 2011 at 1:39am:

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #13 - 19th Jul, 2011 at 8:45am

In the older days, Thai idiotic behaviours against Lao people were probably related to the economic and freedom disadvantages that Lao people had relative to  that of Thai people.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Laosport
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Lao Luv Lao Last Longer

Boston
Reply #14 - 19th Jul, 2011 at 8:24pm

If all Lao around the world United, Thai will be next "killing field" I can promise you that. Yall fill me? Supreme Lao Power! Xai Yo!
Right now Lao ppl every where gamble tooo..much and three Lao's flags to many. Gosh!
United is the Strenght and Divided we get Conquer like before and present. Cry

fangum22.jpg (65 KB | 582 )
fangum22.jpg

Phoum Jai Pen LAO!
View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 7664 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 90176 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293741 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140808 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76974 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 53297 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 79258 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62393 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49406 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44386 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum