Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
My wife and me (Read 118910 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: My wife and me
Reply #30 - 8th Mar, 2011 at 8:23am

Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 7th Mar, 2011 at 4:16pm:
My Lao is ALMOST fluent. No problems for me, my man, in the communications department. How did you break the ice?

By talking to her. That's generally how most people break the ice.

Hahaha. A bit of Kiwi tongue-in-cheek.
But seriously now: What was your opening line? And the "clincher?"

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #31 - 9th Mar, 2011 at 9:37am

Quote:
I myself was luck that my wife had been in the US for about 5 years and spoke pretty fair English. I am now learning Lao, abet slowly, but I am learning.

@ Larb Dip - I hope you are looking for more than a housewife.

@ Chris - That is some sound advice mate. Learn the language first. Oh, maybe someone ought to tell Larb Dip about sin sod also, that is if he isn't familiar with that custom.

I am assuming from your Romanisation, that you are referring to a womans chastity? What about it?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 10th Mar, 2011 at 8:21am

Larb Dip wrote on 9th Mar, 2011 at 9:37am:
Quote:
I myself was luck that my wife had been in the US for about 5 years and spoke pretty fair English. I am now learning Lao, abet slowly, but I am learning.

@ Larb Dip - I hope you are looking for more than a housewife.

@ Chris - That is some sound advice mate. Learn the language first. Oh, maybe someone ought to tell Larb Dip about sin sod also, that is if he isn't familiar with that custom.

I am assuming from your Romanisation, that you are referring to a womans chastity? What about it?

He's talking about the dowry you would have to pay to the family of a prospective Lao wife.

IP Logged

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #33 - 10th Mar, 2011 at 5:38pm

Hi everyone, I am Chuck from Malaysia and I am new to the forum. I was so lucky to have found this forum by google-ing (lao dowry).

My apology for crashing into this thread but I guess I can get some useful information to help me out with the paperwork for my marriage.

I have a Laotian girlfriend whom I want to marry this year probably my first visit to Laos this April. I need some advice on the paperwork from experienced people here.

I plan to bring my girl over to Malaysia with me and register here but now that I am going to Laos she wants me to hold a simple and small banquet in her village and get our marriage registered in Laos.

I've done my research and I supposed I need my Single Status declaration letter, but is there any other documents that I need? I don't plan to stay in Laos though.

As for her part, she is a divorcee and I need to have her divorce decree and Single Status declaration letter translated into english.
Where do I get the Single Status Letter from? I was told that her divorce decree is with the village chief though.

Will I have any difficulties getting the approval to marry her? Or should I register my marriage in Malaysia first before I register in Laos for better chance?

By the way, can anyone tell me how much is a decent amount for dowry and an estimation of how much is the cost for a small banquet?

Please help me out with this Smiley

many thanks

View Profile  
IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 10th Mar, 2011 at 8:48pm

Hi Chuck

As for my wife, I think she got her single status cert. stamped by the village head. As for where she got the cert., I'll ask her today and get back to you later (she's in laos at the moment). I think the form may have come from the village head as well.

Process I followed was easy. 1. Got married in Hong Kong 2. Registered marriage with Lao embassy in HK (had to show police clearance cert, proof of residence, single status, birth cert - all these docs only for her. I only had to show passport and marriage cert). Guy at embassy said we should have shown all these things before we got married but it didn't matter. He then translated the mariage cert overnight and stamped it. 3. Took translated marriage cert to mofa in Vientiane and got it stamped by them Details of our marriage were then entered into their computer.

Dowry and some food/drink for the in laws - my wife says about 60,000 baht all up (2000 usd). Gold necklace for my father in law (approx 30,000 baht and 30,000 for food/drink).

Cheers
Chris

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #35 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 12:51am

Chuck, $2,000 USD is a decent total for dowry and meals, for a wedding in Laos.

I'm not familiar with Malaysia, but some countries have a Marriage Register office (or similar), that will have a record of your marital status. They can issue you with a letter stating that you're single.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 8:23am

chuck wrote on 10th Mar, 2011 at 5:38pm:
Hi everyone, I am Chuck from Malaysia and I am new to the forum.

Chuck congratulations on your engagement and soon to be marriage. I wish the best to you both!!!

I am sorry I can not help you with any information. My wife already was living here in the USA when we met. She had divorced a Lao man (US citizen), it was he that brought her and 2 of her children over from Laos. (I thank him for that.)

As for the dowry, 2 to 3 thousand USD is what I was told is the norm. If the girl is from a very well to do family, very educated, etc., the price will be expected to be much more, so I am told.

Again I wish you all the best!!! Sokdee. La gohn.

BTW, here is a picture of my wife and I, so you all will have a face to go with my posts. Sokdee everyone.

lao-wife.jpg

Keomany & William

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #37 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 9:38am

Thank you for sharing a beautiful picture of you and your wife, Mr William. You look like each other and I wish the both of you all the happiness in the world.

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #38 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:03am

Quote:
Hi Chuck

As for my wife, I think she got her single status cert. stamped by the village head. As for where she got the cert., I'll ask her today and get back to you later (she's in laos at the moment). I think the form may have come from the village head as well.

Process I followed was easy. 1. Got married in Hong Kong 2. Registered marriage with Lao embassy in HK (had to show police clearance cert, proof of residence, single status, birth cert - all these docs only for her. I only had to show passport and marriage cert). Guy at embassy said we should have shown all these things before we got married but it didn't matter. He then translated the mariage cert overnight and stamped it. 3. Took translated marriage cert to mofa in Vientiane and got it stamped by them Details of our marriage were then entered into their computer.

Dowry and some food/drink for the in laws - my wife says about 60,000 baht all up (2000 usd). Gold necklace for my father in law (approx 30,000 baht and 30,000 for food/drink).

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for replying me. I have a few questions that I don't understand from what you have told me though.

1. Why did you have to show police clearance cert, proof of residence, single status, birth cert - all these docs only for her? Is it required for getting her a pass or something to stay in HK with you?

2. Can you give me the address to MoFA in Vientiane?

3. Is it ok for me to stay in the same hotel room in Vientiane due to the secret law?

4. I thought dowry is for the use of the newly married couple according to some websites I've read. So 60,000 baht = 30,000 baht for gold necklace and 30,000 for food and drinks?

5. How widely is Thai Baht and USD used in Vientiane?

Sorry to bother you with so many questions.  Tongue

Thank you for checking with your wife about the single status cert. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:04am

Great pic mate.

U look very happy together

Chris

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #40 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:05am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 12:51am:
Chuck, $2,000 USD is a decent total for dowry and meals, for a wedding in Laos.

I'm not familiar with Malaysia, but some countries have a Marriage Register office (or similar), that will have a record of your marital status. They can issue you with a letter stating that you're single.

Hi there,

Yes there is such office for Marriage Registration in Malaysia, I will make a visit to that office and ask about it.

Thank you for replying to me Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #41 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:09am

Quote:
chuck wrote on 10th Mar, 2011 at 5:38pm:
Hi everyone, I am Chuck from Malaysia and I am new to the forum.

Chuck congratulations on your engagement and soon to be marriage. I wish the best to you both!!!

I am sorry I can not help you with any information. My wife already was living here in the USA when we met. She had divorced a Lao man (US citizen), it was he that brought her and 2 of her children over from Laos. (I thank him for that.)

As for the dowry, 2 to 3 thousand USD is what I was told is the norm. If the girl is from a very well to do family, very educated, etc., the price will be expected to be much more, so I am told.

Again I wish you all the best!!! Sokdee. La gohn.

BTW, here is a picture of my wife and I, so you all will have a face to go with my posts. Sokdee everyone.

[img]

Keomany & William

Thank you William and congratulations to you too William
You both look happy in the picture Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:52am

chuck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:03am:
Quote:
Hi Chuck

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for replying me. I have a few questions that I don't understand from what you have told me though.

1. Why did you have to show police clearance cert, proof of residence, single status, birth cert - all these docs only for her? Is it required for getting her a pass or something to stay in HK with you?

2. Can you give me the address to MoFA in Vientiane?

3. Is it ok for me to stay in the same hotel room in Vientiane due to the secret law?

4. I thought dowry is for the use of the newly married couple according to some websites I've read. So 60,000 baht = 30,000 baht for gold necklace and 30,000 for food and drinks?

5. How widely is Thai Baht and USD used in Vientiane?

Sorry to bother you with so many questions.  Tongue

Thank you for checking with your wife about the single status cert. Smiley

Hey mate

Q1. With all the docs, we didn't actually know what we needed. We got married in hk and 2 days later told the lao embassy in hk. The lao guy there said we needed those docs. Luckily I had them already because when I was applying for her visa to come over, I thought I might need those things anyway. All I had to do was show my passport and the original marriage cert.
By the way, she said she got the single status cert from one of the ministries. (interior??...not sure).

Q2. MOFA in Vientiane - Google maps is best

Q3. Not an expert on Laos really. But from my own experience, I never got busted in a hotel in Laos. Always felt a bit uneasy tho. Actually, got seperate rooms in Vang Vieng.

Q4. That's what  the wife suggested. Seemed fair enough to me so went with it. Different for different folks i guess.

Q5. From my own experience ....widely. Change came in kip.

Take care
Chris

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #43 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 3:53pm

Quote:
Hey mate

Q1. With all the docs, we didn't actually know what we needed. We got married in hk and 2 days later told the lao embassy in hk. The lao guy there said we needed those docs. Luckily I had them already because when I was applying for her visa to come over, I thought I might need those things anyway. All I had to do was show my passport and the original marriage cert.
By the way, she said she got the single status cert from one of the ministries. (interior??...not sure).

Q2. MOFA in Vientiane - Google maps is best

Q3. Not an expert on Laos really. But from my own experience, I never got busted in a hotel in Laos. Always felt a bit uneasy tho. Actually, got seperate rooms in Vang Vieng.

Q4. That's what  the wife suggested. Seemed fair enough to me so went with it. Different for different folks i guess.

Q5. From my own experience ....widely. Change came in kip.

Take care
Chris

Hey there,

Im going to apply for her visa and special pass under the spouse programme in Malaysia, I've asked about it but the officer I talked to on the phone nvr told me in details about the documents needed.
Where do I get the police clearance letter and proof of residence?

Thank you Chris again.  Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #44 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 6:18pm

Your local court or police station can check your criminal record. Ask for a name check, and they'll provide you a letter or certificate stating the court outcomes or no court outcomes against you.

You can get your proof of residence from anywhere. Your council or tenant can provide you a letter stating your current address. But Chris will know more than me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78516 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248770 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133095 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69789 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47433 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73911 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57539 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45372 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40967 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33948 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum