Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
My wife and me (Read 118881 times)

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

My wife and me
17th Jan, 2011 at 9:46am

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris. I work in Hong Kong and my wife is from Laos.

We met 9 months ago in Laos and decided to get married. However, Lao laws regarding marriage of a Laotian and a foreigner seemed a bit of a nightmare. I'm from New Zealand by he way.

In December I got a visitor visa for my then girlfriend to come to Hong Kong for 2 weeks. In the time she was here we got married under Hong Kong law. I'm now in the process of applying for a dependancy visa for her to stay with me here permanently.

There was still the issue of how my wife and I would live legally together in Laos in the future. Well, last week we went to the Laos consulate in Hong Kong and they were very nice. We gave them my wife's paperwork and within 24 hours they had translated the marriage certificate, certified that it was a legally registered marriage in Hong Kong, and stamped it.

On Saturday my wife returned to laos and an hour or so ago she went into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs t o see about getting our marriage legally registered in Vientiane. 700,000 Kip later and 2 hours of waiting, and our translated copies of the Hong Kong marriage certificate have been stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

A happy day indeed. Quick, painless and it means we don't have to go through all the BS of getting married in Laos and all the paperwork that goes with it.

It will be nice to be legal next time my wife and I are in Laos together.

Cheers all.

Looking forward to chatting with you on this forum sometime.

Chris

CIMG1307.JPG (61 KB | 887 )
CIMG1307.JPG

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: My wife and me
Reply #1 - 17th Jan, 2011 at 7:44pm

Welcome aboard Chris, and that's a beautiful photo of you and your wife. Congratulations on your marriage, and I wish both of you a long and happy life together.

Yes, the paperwork that Lao authorities require from foreigners seems too much. They don't make it easy, this is mostly in order to protect their citizens. It's nice to know that everything worked out well with your marriage in Hong Kong, and that the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs has approved your marriage.

Won't they allow you to live in Laos as a legal non-citizen resident? Maybe apply for a long stay visa, or Lao citizenship is another option.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 17th Jan, 2011 at 9:17pm

Thanks admin.

As for living in Laos and visas etc, I haven't given it a lot of thought really.

The plan is to work here in Hong Kong for a while to save money, then go back and live in Laos in a few years time. We have started building a house in Vientiane which we'll rent out (once it's  finished) until we decide to move back to laos permanently.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 17th Jan, 2011 at 10:16pm

Just take each day as it comes, and the future will take care of itself. Living in Laos will be more laid-back than the fast-paced lifestyle of Hong Kong.

Renting out your house is a great way to earn extra income.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 18th Jan, 2011 at 6:54am

Good plan Chris and good luck.
Smiley

Quote:
Thanks admin.

As for living in Laos and visas etc, I haven't given it a lot of thought really.

The plan is to work here in Hong Kong for a while to save money, then go back and live in Laos in a few years time. We have started building a house in Vientiane which we'll rent out (once it's  finished) until we decide to move back to laos permanently.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 18th Jan, 2011 at 6:57am

Congratulation Chris. I wish you and your wife happiness, health and success.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Rolf
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #6 - 19th Jan, 2011 at 8:07am

Congratulations Chis, I am also a Kiwi, but I live in Chongqing in China and my wife is from this town, 10 times the population of New Zealand. I don't know much about Laos - yet, but if it is anything like other parts of Asia, the home is a woman's domain, your just a valued guest.  Not as bad as it may sound, quite good actually, Asian women are incredibly skillful and talented in that respect. So to say, since she decided she wanted it this way, and it was your idea anyway, there is not room for an argument, is there. We may come to Laos later, I hope, and learn to know the country a bit better. Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

Lao Dreamer
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Reply #7 - 29th Jan, 2011 at 1:16pm

Congratulations Chris to both of you! it was amazing to know how easy it was for you to get married to a Lao citizen and especially it only cost you Kip 700,000. I am a Lao person who had spent years trying to get approval from the Lao Government to marry a foreigner, let alone thousands of US$ over the years....hate to think about it.

Seems like you both are very lucky and happy couple indeed. All the best for the future.

Cheers

View Profile  
IP Logged

krisuk
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos...savannakhet

england
Reply #8 - 30th Jan, 2011 at 2:34pm

hi chris my names kris im from england and i have a laoation girlfriend near savannakhet im 24 and she is 26 her name is khamseng and i would like to find out how to take her to england for a holiday but as were not married is this a problem? any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

View Profile  
IP Logged

Lao Dreamer
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Reply #9 - 30th Jan, 2011 at 5:36pm

Hi Kris, I'm a Lao person living in London. My niece got married to an English man 6 years ago. So, I know pretty well how you could get your Lao girlfriend over to UK for a holiday.

It's pretty straight forward if your girlfriend applies for a visit visa. You have to write a formal invitation to invite her to visit you in the UK with all her expenses taken care of by you. You can contact the home office to get some advice as well if you like.

If she applies for a tourist visa, then she needs to have a lot of money in the bank to prove that she can afford all the expenses to include all travelling and living expenses over the period she stays in the UK. It is quite complicated and required a lot of paperwork I have to say.

Hope this helps

krisuk wrote on 30th Jan, 2011 at 2:34pm:
hi chris my names kris im from england and i have a laoation girlfriend near savannakhet im 24 and she is 26 her name is khamseng and i would like to find out how to take her to england for a holiday but as were not married is this a problem? any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

View Profile  
IP Logged

krisuk
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos...savannakhet

england
Reply #10 - 30th Jan, 2011 at 7:53pm

thank you very much lao dreamer for the information about the different visas available to us.

I will let you know of our progress on the visas and agin thank you
   kris Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #11 - 31st Jan, 2011 at 10:46pm

gotta admit im jealous lolz cute wifey...

View Profile  
IP Logged

I Air
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #12 - 8th Feb, 2011 at 5:51pm

First off, congrats on the happy couple !! I wish you two nothing but the best.

I have to admit that I am truly astounded and SHOCKED that it went that smooth. I am assuming that the key was getting the " stamp " from the consulate in Hong Kong???? Thus, a smooth stamp in Vientiane ?

I have a girlfriend in Vientiane that off and on, started the research of legally marrying her ( though my research was not that extensive ) and based from what I've found, it is very difficult because the Lao embassies abroad will NOT stamp the marriage if a Lao citizen marries outside the country. They sure don't do it in Thailand ( I think ).

Could this be your luck or a new policy?

I am a US Citizen. And here is the kicker....., I was born in Laos. Yes, a Lao-American that has to watch his back when I am around my girl in Laos.

Please let me know. Thanks

View Profile  
IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 5:52am

I Air wrote on 8th Feb, 2011 at 5:51pm:
First off, congrats on the happy couple !! I wish you two nothing but the best.

I have to admit that I am truly astounded and SHOCKED that it went that smooth. I am assuming that the key was getting the " stamp " from the consulate in Hong Kong???? Thus, a smooth stamp in Vientiane ?

I have a girlfriend in Vientiane that off and on, started the research of legally marrying her ( though my research was not that extensive ) and based from what I've found, it is very difficult because the Lao embassies abroad will NOT stamp the marriage if a Lao citizen marries outside the country. They sure don't do it in Thailand ( I think ).

Could this be your luck or a new policy?

I am a US Citizen. And here is the kicker....., I was born in Laos. Yes, a Lao-American that has to watch his back when I am around my girl in Laos.

Please let me know. Thanks

Thanks for the post I Air.

I've just been into the Lao embassy here in HK to confirm everything is ok. I showed them the stamped document from the MOFA in Vientiane. It was the same guy who originally gave me the stamp when we first got married. He said everything is OK and we are now legally registered in laos.

I guess getting the original stamp in HK was the crucial bit. Very easy...just had to provide my wife's birth certificate, a police clearance certificate from Laos, a document that showed where she lived in Laos, and a document showing she was single in Laos before. We  had these already and they were stamped by the village chief so everything went smoothly.

They also did everything they needed to in one day instead of the normal 3 days.

Spoke a bit of my basic Lao as well which he seemed to like.  Smiley

Cheers
Chris

IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 3rd Mar, 2011 at 11:03am

Just a quick update for all out there.

The wife just got her dependant visa approved for Hong Kong so she can now stay with me as long as I am here in HK. It has been hard not being together from pretty much after we got married.

But now the visa is here, I'll go and pick her up from laos at Easter, do some family stuff with her (including sin sot) and then be back here.

Cheers all
Chris

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78260 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248699 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133029 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69741 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47380 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73864 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57503 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45342 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40928 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33924 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum