Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Valentine's Day is around the corner (Read 43225 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Valentine's Day is around the corner
4th Feb, 2011 at 10:45pm

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Valentine's Day is around the corner
Reply #1 - 5th Feb, 2011 at 1:06am

thanx

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #2 - 5th Feb, 2011 at 6:13pm

Thank you LP Admins and happy Valentine's Day everybody.
Wink Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Vientiane
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 7th Feb, 2011 at 1:04am

Not wanting to sound like an old sourpuss, but what is all the fuss about Valentines Day in Laos?  In no way is it part of Lao culture or tradition, but I think many Lao city youngsters are unaware that it is hardly an event at all in European countries.  In Europe, it is something between two lovers, or someone who secretly loves someone.  The couple will send each other cards and maybe flowers or a small gift.  Secret admirers sometimes send cards anonymously.

It is not an excuse for a big party like Christmas or New Year.  I am saying this because my two teenage sons have just asked me to give them 4,000 baht for 'Valentines Day' in Vientiane.  WHAT?  Sometimes I think I should take my sons out of the capital, away from their cool rich friends and bring them back to live on our farm in a rural village where, I'm pretty sure, there'll be no mass partying on Valentines day.

Well, maybe I am an old sourpuss.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 7th Feb, 2011 at 1:39am

We celebrate nearly everything in Laos, except Easter because it's about the same time as the Lao New Year.

We probably take Valentine's Day more seriously, and celebrate it more in Laos than people in Western countries.

It's funny, because it's not part of our culture, but many things have changed. Lao people these days are becoming lazier and enjoy partying more than those of past generations.

IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 7th Feb, 2011 at 4:26am

Happy Valentine's Day Admin!

May you find your true love on this day, if you already found your true love........may you keep that love forever  Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #6 - 7th Feb, 2011 at 6:17am

That's good to hear. Growing up in the West I didn't know about Valentine's Day celebration in Laos. Most holiday in the West is connected to business. The more people spend the better for economy. For Christmas you buy family gift, Thank giving you buy turkey have dinner with family, Halloween you buy candy, custom candy and party. Its very fun. Cool Wink

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 7th Feb, 2011 at 1:39am:
We celebrate nearly everything in Laos, except Easter because it's about the same time as the Lao New Year.

We probably take Valentine's Day more seriously, and celebrate it more in Laos than people in Western countries.

It's funny, because it's not part of our culture, but many things have changed. Lao people these days are becoming lazier and enjoy partying more than those of past generations.

View Profile  
IP Logged

marie
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #7 - 25th Feb, 2011 at 8:05pm

A little bit later but thank you any way.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 10th Feb, 2013 at 6:11am

26-year-old Judy Garland receives a kiss from
co-star Gene Kelly in The Pirate (1948).

Judy Garland gets a kiss in The Pirate

Judy Garland Board

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #9 - 10th Feb, 2013 at 10:57pm

Happy Valentines Day on Feb. 14th

In US and Canada we don't celebrate it as a national holiday, it is more of a novelty like mothers day, or st. patricks day, we don't get a day off work for it. Most people I know just ignore it now cause it's another stupid reason for girls to expect something from a guy. I knew some Lao girls in Vientiane who would buy themselves flowers just to make it look like they received them from guys. That is really pathetic how Lao people are so controlled by these hi-so things and secumb to peer pressure.
There are rich Lao people due to corruption and the inequality of communist dictatorship in Laos. They have nothing better to do except spend this dirty money and show off, hi-so. Their kids grow up spoiled and selfish, they don't even try to help the country or it's peope who are suffering. In Laos, if you have, then hold onto it and hoard it to yourself. Everybody for themselves is the motto.
My friend returned to Laos a few years ago and he would help out people he knew and his Lao wife would say to him "why you help them for, what are they going to give you?" I guess people in Laos don't understand. I guess that's how it is in a country that is very poor, you have to think of yourself first and be selfish/greedy in order to survive.

Let me ask the guys, have you ever received anything on Valentines day from a girl? And if so, what was it? They don't even say thanks after, they would just remind me a few days before, that Valentines day is coming up you know... hint hint... damn.

This year, I have no valentine... maybe I'm better off alone.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 11th Feb, 2013 at 7:52am

It's okay to help people you know, particularly poor relatives but don't overdo it. Laotians are like children. If you keep spoiling children with lollies, it becomes a habit and they will keep begging for more. In the case of Laotians, if you keep helping them financially, they'll never stop bothering you.

Corruption will never go away from Laos and many Asian countries are in the same boat. You can be a failure at school but if your parents are wealthy, you will live a better life than others.

Valentine's Day is an excuse to take the day off in Laos because some people want to spend the special day with their loved ones. In Laos, we complain about low wages but when you think about it, we deserve the low wages.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #11 - 11th Feb, 2013 at 9:15pm

Valentine's Day and other 'holdidays' are good moneymaking events speciifically for retailers.  This is good for the country because money is being recycled to genenerate more tax revenue to be spent on something to hopefully better everyone.

Laos does not have a sales taxation system yet.  Is this true?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #12 - 12th Feb, 2013 at 5:29am

The help I was talkin about wasn't financial, just mostly favours like driving someone somewhere, or helping do something. It builds trust and respect between fellow people. One day you might need help in some way and someone will help you. Almost like a pay it forward.

Valentines day helps the retailers, not the consumers. I'd rather save the money and keep it in my pocket for something really worth while, like my retirement. And if my kid ever asked me for 4000 baht ($133.11 USD) just for Valentines day, I'd kick his/her ass out of the house and tell them to get a job. When I was a kid, I didn't even get $5 to buy food to eat at lunch.

I don't think anyone deserves low wages. I think the wages should reflect the living costs in the region. The problem in Laos is that you have a huge discrepancy in wealth amongst the demographics. There is about 5% of the population that are wealthy, I'm talking wealthy even by western standards. I would say 15% are average middle income, meaning they aren't poor but they aren't well off either. Then you have the remaining 80% who will remain in poverty probably their entire lives cause of the inequalities that exists in Laos and many asian countries in general. This can clearly be seen in terms of what the Admin pointed out, education, employment, corruption, who you know in the gov't. etc... The rich hang onto their wealth and guard it while the poor see no opportunity to change their situation.
Laos needs to resolve this large disparity between the rich and the poor by increasing the demographics of the middle class. I see no middle class in Laos, only super rich or dirt poor. The super rich hi so want a certain lifestyle and are willing to pay for it at any cost since they have unlimited spending potential, but the poor and not so rich cannot manage to keep up with that lifestyle so they continue to fall deeper into poverty. It is so evident when you look at the plans for developement. Megamalls, high speed trains, and new hotels and infrastructure are being planned to accomodate the rich who will benefit and can afford these ammenities, but only 20% of the population can make use of it. How can you generate enough revenue to sustain that development, and it also doesn't cater to the entire demographics. The 80% will continue to get left behind as "they do not matter" by the gov't.
Who is going to be able to afford riding this high speed train or shop at the mega mall or stay in one of these high end hotels/restaurants? And the jobs that get created for the average Lao person, the wages aren't going to be high paying either so poor are still taken advantage of so they will remain poor, while the rich keep spending the foreign aid cause of corruption. They pretend to devlop things for their own benefit and show to the world that Laos is "developing" but it's all smoke and mirrors.
I know very well the problems in Laos. I could probably do a better job at running the country but the powers that control Laos won't let anyone take their "wealth" away from them. The poor people of Laos makes them rich and they like to keep it that way. Plea for aid and help from foreign countries by showing them how poor the people are and when they get the money, another mercedes for some rich biatch. Poor still remains poor because there is no opportunity. And the gov'ts reaction to it: oh they are just lazy, that's why they are poor. Look at the other people who are rich, they worked hard to get that. But really, they never worked a day in their lives, dumber than dumb too. And the cycle continues...

Anyways, sorry about the rambling... Happy Valentines Day... let's go out and spend money when we really don't have to cause we can't even afford to!

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #13 - 12th Feb, 2013 at 6:20am

Beef Cake wrote on 11th Feb, 2013 at 9:15pm:
Laos does not have a sales taxation system yet.  Is this true?

We do have a sales tax system on certain local items and imports. We called it "value added tax".

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 12th Feb, 2013 at 7:03am

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 12th Feb, 2013 at 5:29am:
I see no middle class in Laos, only super rich or dirt poor. The super rich hi so want a certain lifestyle and are willing to pay for it at any cost since they have unlimited spending potential, but the poor and not so rich cannot manage to keep up with that lifestyle so they continue to fall deeper into poverty.

The wages should reflect how much you work. In Laos we have too much time on our hands, therefore deserving of the low wages.

In your country in America, do the teachers go home for 2 hours to relax and enjoy lunch? Do you have labourers sitting around and enjoying a beer with their co-workers as if deadlines doesn't mean anything?

There's plenty of middle class in Laos. If your household owns a motorbike or two, a fridge, TV and some mobile phones then you're considered a middle class family. Middle class citizens can't afford to buy a car, but they can afford to own these basic essentials.

If you are super rich in Laos, the chances are you are involved in corruption.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 10158 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 91467 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 294808 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 141697 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 77759 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 53948 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 79853 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62934 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49830 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44741 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum