Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Administrator's grammar is impeccable! (Read 48700 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Administrator's grammar is impeccable!
4th Mar, 2011 at 9:02am

Administrator's grammar is impeccable! Anyone else agree?
Just wondering where you studied your English at? If in Laos, then are all the other students there as savvy as you are? Just curious, as I always thought that Lao nationals were deprived of a decent education...among other things.(No offense intended). Reading through some of the past post from other members, I have been surprised by the ignorance of how some people don't know the difference between "then" and "than", "to" and "too". Most of them reside in English speaking countries too. By the way, do you have a good income? Be honest now. I think you could easily slip into a government-relevant role based on your prose alone. Then again maybe you already have something of that sort going on for you and perhaps I shouldn't have underestimated you.Smiley

P.S.

This is a compliment and not a moan. :p

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Administrator's grammar is impeccable!
Reply #1 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 10:45am

This forum isn't about my English grammar skills, but thanks for the compliment. I studied English in secondary and tertiary education in Laos. Everyone has different skills. I may be good English, but the next person is better than me in maths and science, so we shouldn't judge a persons level of education by their communication skills alone.

I don't make a good income, not as much as I would like. I mentioned in the past that I don't want to be involved in government-related jobs. Besides, English alone doesn't qualify you for a government position. You probably need to have a strong background in law, economics and those sorts of fields.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #2 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 4:16pm

Don't Lao government worker get good salary? In Laos sometime to get a good jobs you need connection." Its not what you know Its who you know." I know one Lao-American guy who went back to work in Laos for NGO and the pay is ok. How about open small business on the side LP Admins. But everything is easy said then done.

I wish Laos was like EU, Japan, US, Singapore where Lao people will have good income, good jobs and opportunity.

"Most of poverty is because of bad government and bad policy."
Cool Shocked

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 4th Mar, 2011 at 10:45am:
This forum isn't about my English grammar skills, but thanks for the compliment. I studied English in secondary  and tertiary education in Laos. Everyone has different skills. I may be good English, but the next person is better than me in maths and science, so we shouldn't judge a persons level of education by their communication skills alone.

I don't make a good income, not as much as I would like. I mentioned in the past that I don't want to be involved in government-related jobs. Besides, English alone doesn't qualify you for a government position. You probably need to have a strong background in law, economics and those sorts of fields.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #3 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 4:52pm

I agreed my english is not the best. I'm just a factory worker with Technical College education. In Laos I was just a farmer.
Grin Shocked Wink

Larb Dip wrote on 4th Mar, 2011 at 9:02am:
Administrator's grammar is impeccable! Anyone else agree?
Just wondering where you studied your English at? If in Laos, then are all the other students there as savvy as you are? Just curious, as I always thought that Lao nationals were deprived of a decent education...among other things.(No offense intended). Reading through some of the past post from other members, I have been surprised by the ignorance of how some people don't know the difference between "then" and "than", "to" and "too". Most of them reside in English speaking countries too. By the way, do you have a good income? Be honest now. I think you could easily slip into a government-relevant role based on your prose alone. Then again maybe you already have something of that sort going on for you and perhaps I shouldn't have underestimated you.Smiley

P.S.

This is a compliment and not a moan. :p

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 8:43pm

Those who hold a key government position earn more salary than those with minor roles. If we were to compare an average government job and a kitchen job in a typical restaurant, you get paid more for working for the Lao government.

Lao government workers get some advantages. The government provides you a free car, and they support you financially in retirement and old age.

You summed it perfectly. To get a job in Laos, "it's not what you know, it's who you know." If your parents are farmers and labourers, many employers don't really take you seriously.

I don't have enough money to open a small business, and it's also not my ideal plan because I don't have a brain for business.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #5 - 5th Mar, 2011 at 2:24am

Quote:
I don't have enough money to open a small business, and it's also not my ideal plan because I don't have a brain for business.

So what DO you do then? Obviously this website isn't as active enough as other established websites to generate an income to live off. Surely you must have another job(s).
Share with us, if you don't mind.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #6 - 5th Mar, 2011 at 2:43am

In Laos unskilled worker get about $60-$100 a month. If you can find a jobs. Same as Cambodia and Vietnam. In Thailand about $200 a month.

Larb Dip wrote on 5th Mar, 2011 at 2:24am:
Quote:

So what DO you do then? Obviously this website isn't as active enough as other established websites to generate an income to live off. Surely you must have another job(s).
Share with us, if you don't mind.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 5th Mar, 2011 at 5:23am

I don't do anything much, I'm mainly an article writer for the team.

Yes, the salary is not much in Southeast Asia for low-skilled jobs.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #8 - 5th Mar, 2011 at 11:21am

Are you implying that working as a reporter doesn't pay well? Maybe just not in Laos?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 5th Mar, 2011 at 6:48pm

I'm no reporter. Just a web article writer, I enjoy writing. And I'm also responsible for looking after this forum.

Well, what do you do?

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 2:59am

You are doing a great jobs Admins. You should ask for a big raise.
Cool Wink

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 5th Mar, 2011 at 6:48pm:
I'm no reporter. Just a web article writer, I enjoy writing. And I'm also responsible for looking after this forum.

Well, what do you do?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #11 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 4:11am

When entering employment, do employers make employees sign a contract? Is there such a thing as redundancy in Laos?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 4:51am

I don't think they can afford to give me a pay rise.

There's such thing as redundancy in Laos. Jobs like Accounting and Construction may have contracts. In most jobs, employers pay their staff at the end of the month, so if you have to work for at least a month if you want your money.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #13 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 4:54am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 6th Mar, 2011 at 4:51am:
I don't think they can afford to give me a pay rise.

There's such thing as redundancy in Laos. Jobs like Accounting and Construction may have contracts. In most jobs, employers pay their staff at the end of the month, so if you have to work for at least a month if you want your money.

Only salaries in Laos? No such thing as wages? It would be better to get paid weekly don't you think? How about overtime?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 6:15am

International organisations may offer wages and overtime. Most basic jobs pay salaries, once per month. If you missed some days due to sickness or other circumstances, your pay will be cut accordingly.

It would be nice to get paid weekly, but the money just seems more with a lump sum at the end of the month, instead of receiving $10 or $20 per week.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 5856 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89238 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 292953 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140204 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76412 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52844 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78855 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62042 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49104 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44126 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum