Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Divorce procedure in Laos. (Read 19149 times)

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Divorce procedure in Laos.
13th Mar, 2011 at 5:58pm

Hi guys,

I don't know if it's alright to start a new topic regarding Divorce.
I need some advise about Divorce Procedure in Laos. I supposed either party of a marriage be it husband or wife can file for divorce.

Question:

1. Can divorce be filed through the Village chief or through a local court?

2. If a wife left her husband for more than 5 years, is the marriage considered dissolved without going through a divorce filing procedure in Laos?

Please advise. Thank you.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Divorce procedure in Laos.
Reply #1 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 10:57pm

I have never been married, let alone divorced so I have little knowledge, sorry.

In Laos, we have what's called a "sumano". It's basically an identification document with our details - name, address, marital status, parents etc. Perhaps providing this document is sufficient.

The village chief deal with marriages, so I suppose he also deal with divorces. Ask him to write a letter or statement for her, to state that she is divorced.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 11:47pm

My wife told me that a Lao woman can divorce her husband in Laos.

BTW, why don't you post a picture of the two of you. If not, no problem.

IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 1:52am

It's fairly common, but the legalities have to be followed.  My neighbour divorced his wife last year.  IIRC, the procedure was quite involved and handled by the village authorities.  It resulted in an agreement whereby he agreed to make a substantial payment of around US$1,000 to his ex-wife, plus they and the village authorities had to agree on how to split up the couple's personal property.

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 10:17am

Quote:
It's fairly common, but the legalities have to be followed.  My neighbour divorced his wife last year.  IIRC, the procedure was quite involved and handled by the village authorities.  It resulted in an agreement whereby he agreed to make a substantial payment of around US$1,000 to his ex-wife, plus they and the village authorities had to agree on how to split up the couple's personal property.

Actually Im asking for my girlfriend, I want to marry her but there is a bit of a problem here.

1. She has left her "husband" for about 6 years or more but she didn't go through the divorce filing procedure which means she is still considered married to her "husband" right? BUT she told me that her mom went to ask people around and was told that she can get married because she has left her husband for more than 5 years. I doubt that though.

2. If she didn't file for divorce then I supposed she is still considered married?

3. I want to register our marriage in Malaysia so that I can apply for her visa and special pass for foreign spouses married to Malaysian so that she can live with me in Malaysia and if she is a divorcee  I was told that I need her Divorce Decree to show to the Malaysian government that she is a divorcee.

4. Her "husband" wanted her to pay a sum of money if she wants to divorce him. Which is ridiculous as she has never got anything from him at all or probably refund of dowry or something but is has been so many years. I supposed she can file for divorce without paying her "husband" any money?

Please help me out with this if anyone here has experienced this or know a Laotian lawyer? By the way does anyone know where to get the single status letter? Is it from village chief?

Please help me out  Undecided

View Profile  
IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 10:20am

Quote:

I will when I have 1 in my pc  Smiley

Can you ask your wife whether a marriage is considered dissolved after being separated for more than 5 years time? If she knows anything about the divorce procedure or law.

Thank you William

View Profile  
IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #6 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 10:48am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 10:57pm:
I have never been married, let alone divorced so I have little knowledge, sorry.

In Laos, we have what's called a "sumano". It's basically an identification document with our details - name, address, marital status, parents etc. Perhaps providing this document is sufficient.

The village chief deal with marriages, so I suppose he also deal with divorces. Ask him to write a letter or statement for her, to state that she is divorced.

Hi Admin,

Sorry to trouble you but is it possible for you to ask around people who might have knowledge about divorce and the single status letter?
Could it be the "sumano"?

My plan is to bring my girlfriend to Malaysia when I make a trip to Laos around end of April but now that she told me she didn't go through the divorce procedure some over 5 years ago and her mom is going to talk to the Naiban soon to find out about divorce procedure.

I supposed it is going to take at least 3 months for the divorce to be pronounced by the court. Unless the divorce procedure can be done fast enough within a month time from now given a strong reason that she has left her husband for more than 5 years if that is applicable and have the necessary documents ready which is the divorce decree and the single status letter as well.

Sigh..... I really have no clue what will happen.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #7 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 11:31am

I hate to say this, but if the "Nai Ban" (Village chief) can't help with issues like this, then he should not be given the title. It's his job to help deal with marriages and divorces.

Your girlfriend's mother should be going to see him now and not wait, since you'll be coming over next month.

It doesn't seem like your girlfriend even know what's going on either.  

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #8 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 11:38am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 11:31am:
I hate to say this, but if the "Nai Ban" (Village chief) can't help with issues like this, then he should not be given the title. It's his job to help deal with marriages and divorces.

Your girlfriend's mother should be going to see him now and not wait, since you'll be coming over next month.

It doesn't seem like your girlfriend even know what's going on either.  

Yea I hate to say that my girlfriend doesn't seem to know what is going on.  Sad Her mom went to see the Naiban yesterday but the Naiban wasn't around and today was raining for the whole day she said. So I guess tomorrow her mom will visit the Naiban again.

It is very depressing now that I know I might have to wait for a few months before I can register my marriage in Malaysia until the divorce is done and necessary documents have been obtained.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:03pm

Communication with your girlfriend is vital in your relationship. She should be the one asking people around about divorce, instead of me. I hope the Village Chief will be helpful, but she probably should have sorted it out 5 years ago when she left her husband.

Have you met your girlfriend before?

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 4:48am

chuck wrote on 14th Mar, 2011 at 10:20am:
Quote:

I will when I have 1 in my pc  Smiley

Can you ask your wife whether a marriage is considered dissolved after being separated for more than 5 years time? If she knows anything about the divorce procedure or law.

Thank you William

I answered your PM. I will see what I can do.

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #11 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 9:26am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:03pm:
Communication with your girlfriend is vital in your relationship. She should be the one asking people around about divorce, instead of me. I hope the Village Chief will be helpful, but she probably should have sorted it out 5 years ago when she left her husband.

Have you met your girlfriend before?

Of course I've seen her before. Well her mom went to the Naiban today I haven't heard from her yet as when I called her, her mom haven't came back. will find out tonight.

Hopefully the Naiban is helpful enough to make things work.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 9:11pm

I asked an elderly gentleman in Laos who is married to a second wife.

He told me that he never filed for divorce or other proceedings with his first wife, but that was in the olden days. These days maybe you have to go through the correct procedures with the court or Village Chief because marriages are registered with him.

Let us know if the Village Chief sorted out her problem.

IP Logged

chuck

I Love Laos!

Reply #13 - 17th Mar, 2011 at 9:38am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 16th Mar, 2011 at 9:11pm:
I asked an elderly gentleman in Laos who is married to a second wife.

He told me that he never filed for divorce or other proceedings with his first wife, but that was in the olden days. These days maybe you have to go through the correct procedures with the court or Village Chief because marriages are registered with him.

Let us know if the Village Chief sorted out her problem.

Hi guys,

So yesterday my girlfriend's mom talked to the Village Chief and she was told that it is up to my girlfriend whether she wants to file for divorce or not to proceed with another wedding.

Of course I told her to file for divorce so that I can have the divorce decree, I believe if she doesn't file for divorce she might not be able to get a single status letter. It cost 500,000 kip for the divorce procedure.

I hope everything will go smooth. Thank you admin for asking around Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14237 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93503 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296672 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143091 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 78992 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54979 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80825 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63754 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50462 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45339 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum