Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lao Tattoo Suggestions (Read 14598 times)

JSEA
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Lao Tattoo Suggestions
7th Jun, 2011 at 4:00pm

Alright guys, I'm interested in suggestions for a Lao tattoo, one that I would get while I'm actually there. It stems from an idea I've had for a long time that I just want to get a tattoo in, and related to each country I visit (or at least the ones I like).

I've already got one on my left arm (21st bday, not drunk), and I'm kinda thinking that'll be where any new ones go. Left arm, from the forearm up (so I can cover it with half rolled up sleeves).

Problems are, I'm not Buddhist, so I'd feel kinda shitty getting a sak yant even though I really like the designs. From what I understand they also need to go in specific places on the body, and be tattooed in a certain way in order to be "traditional". Also these aren't really Lao, they could be from Laos, Thailand, or Cambodia. Since the plan is to get others, it needs to be something that can be integrated with additional tattoos later on.

Taking this into consideration I think that leaves me with three options 1) Lao text, 2) Some kind of Lao symbol, 3) a combination of the two. So, are there any sayings, short poems, or symbols that are famous in Lao that anyone can recommend?

No three headed elephants, or LAO written inside an oval, or stuff like that though. I'd rather not get thrown in jail in Laos/Thailand, or look like the back end of a Toyota Hilux Wink

Thanks ahead of time Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Re: Lao Tattoo Suggestions
Reply #1 - 7th Jun, 2011 at 7:08pm

how about a picture of Judy Garland or Laopride.com text?  Maybe you could be the first to run into the Admin. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #2 - 7th Jun, 2011 at 8:44pm

The only Lao tattoo I like is three head elephant. You're right JSEA Laos and Thai government don't like three head elephant.
Cheesy Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 7th Jun, 2011 at 9:41pm

OMD wrote on 7th Jun, 2011 at 7:08pm:
how about a picture of Judy Garland or Laopride.com text?  Maybe you could be the first to run into the Admin. Smiley

The former is a perfect idea. Her birthday is coming up on June 10, and a picture of her is a great way to show your support.

This picture is a good suggestion for a tattoo.

judy-garland.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 7th Jun, 2011 at 10:57pm

JSEA number 3 is a good choice. Lao text and symbol.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

BlastSweep
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 7th Jun, 2011 at 11:26pm

Naga?

But even that is Buddhist related. I'd be hard pressed to find much that ISNT Buddhist related.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #6 - 8th Jun, 2011 at 3:23am

My first ever movie experience was 'Wizard of Oz' when I was around 8 yrs old when we first arrived in the US and  the scarecrow and the lion scared the living daylight out of me as  I still remember having nightmares for a couple of nights   Grin

Hmm....where would be a perfetct spot to put Dorothy Roll Eyes?  My upper arm maybe to prove my masculanitiy   Smiley.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 7th Jun, 2011 at 9:41pm:
OMD wrote on 7th Jun, 2011 at 7:08pm:

The former is a perfect idea. Her birthday is coming up on June 10, and a picture of her is a great way to show your support.

This picture is a good suggestion for a tattoo.

[img]

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #7 - 8th Jun, 2011 at 5:30am

The Wicked Witch scared me more than anything else.

Your upper arm is a strong part of the body, and it is great place to put Dorothy because she was a mentally strong girl.

IP Logged

JSEA

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Reply #8 - 8th Jun, 2011 at 8:20am

Hahaha, Judy Garland might be it.

I'm ok with slightly Buddhist tattoos...just feel sorta like people would be judging me for getting a tattoo from something I don't really believe in. The problem with sak yant is that they're pretty much purely religious.

Also I prefer black ink to colored ink....although the naga idea would make for a pretty good sleeve.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #9 - 9th Jun, 2011 at 3:16am

That was a very sad and tragic ending to her life - dead at the age of 47 by drug overdose and $4 million dollars in debt at the time of her death.   

You do not like the sun Admin Roll Eyes?

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 8th Jun, 2011 at 5:30am:
The Wicked Witch scared me more than anything else.

Your upper arm is a strong part of the body, and it is great place to put Dorothy because she was a mentally strong girl.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 9th Jun, 2011 at 5:00am

Yes, I feel sorry for her but she is in a better place now, or perhaps she has been reincarnated.

The sun is vital for your health, so a little is okay but I do not like to stay out there for long periods.

IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #11 - 10th Jun, 2011 at 3:26am

I brought it up becuase your pic from the 'other' site suggests you hardly go out and expose to the sun at all Cool.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 10129 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 91454 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 294799 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 141688 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 77751 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 53940 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 79847 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62929 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49826 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44738 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum