Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Judy Garland and Ray Bolger had an affair? (Read 58121 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Judy Garland and Ray Bolger had an affair?
30th Oct, 2011 at 6:08am

Judy Garland and Ray Bolger had an affair? Well, not exactly. But in the 1939 classic movie "The Wizard of Oz", Dorothy (played by Judy Garland) and the farm hand Hunk, who was the Scarecrow in Oz (played by Ray Bolger) actually had a romance in the sepia footage Kansas farm scene.

This particular love scene was cut from the movie by MGM studio, which is the reason why at the end of the movie Dorothy hugs and kisses the Scarecrow and whispers: "I think I'll miss you most of all."

It can sound a bit strange for some viewers that Dorothy played favourites and she particularly miss the Scarecrow, considering her other two companions (the Tin Man and Cowardly Lion) also risked their lives to rescue her from the Wicked Witch of the West. But as previously stated, the back story was removed and this never made it into the movie.

Ultimately, the studio wanted the plot to pan out that Dorothy was more closer to the Scarecrow because she met him first and he provided friendship and protection on her journey down the Yellow Brick Road. So "I think I'll miss you most of all" didn't sound strange after all if we understood the intended meaning.

I can think of two reasons why the romance scene was cut out. The first reason is that the movie was too long. Some scenes have been cut to shorten the movie, and the studio probably thought that this scene was also unnecessary.

The second reason is that the studio didn't want any romance line in the movie. Since the movie is intended for a general audience, they are worried that some viewers may get the wrong impression and blow things out of proportion when they see an adult and a young girl who are supposedly in love.

Outside the movie in the real world, Ray Bolger adored Judy Garland and she loved him as a friend, but there was nothing romantic between them.

Dorothy (Judy Garland) with Hunk (Ray Bolger), a Kansas farm hand

Judy Garland as Dorothy with farm hand, Hunk, played by Ray Bolger

Dorothy kiss the Scarecrow goodbye.
The scene when she tells him "I think I'll miss you most of all"

Judy Garland as Dorothy with Scarecrow, played by Ray Bolger

Pretty Judy Garland as Dorothy with Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow
having fun together behind the scenes on The Wizard of Oz set

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Re: Judy Garland and Ray Bolger had an affair?
Reply #1 - 24th Jul, 2013 at 1:10am

The third reason is probably due to the fact she was only 17 years old. Back in those days, the American society would probably preferred people to be 18 years an older to be engaged  in this sinful Cheesy behavior.  Probably have to abide the law too.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 24th Jul, 2013 at 2:18am

Judy Garland was 16 years old during the making of The Wizard of Oz.

In the real world, Ray Bolger was married at the time, and Judy Garland was still single.

Judy Garland as Dorothy and Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow

Judy Garland as Dorothy and Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 24th Jul, 2013 at 8:42pm

It's the affair of the heart Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 25th Jul, 2013 at 11:10am

There wasn't anything romantic between Garland and Bolger.

I know that some famous men in those days like Frank Sinatra, who was a bit of a player, had a thing for Judy Garland.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 286856 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85821 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137688 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74146 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50938 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77172 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60539 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47845 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43076 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35536 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum