Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Australian man dies after tubing accident in Laos (Read 41252 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Australian man dies after tubing accident in Laos
Reply #15 - 28th Feb, 2012 at 8:14am

Sad but true. It's about money and power. There's corruption is everywhere in the world, but it's worst when there's no freedom of press and people has no say. Sad

Quote:
The dress code have to be enforced in the town during the evening. They have nothing to do almost half naked in the streets! Blame the ghosts if it can comfort yourself. I will not say a prayer for the victims but cast a curse on all the corrupted officials, military and police force who are the true culprits. Lao is a sick country, some of your people are totally corrupt. Easy to blame tourists! Your officials to not protect tourist on the contrary they prey on them. I wonder what are they doing to their own people? When injustice is law rebellion is duty. What have u done of your soul! I can assure you if any member of my family died in a tubing accident, i will have the true owner of the platforms killed! Death to tyrants and their zealous slaves! Angry Angry Angry

View Profile  
IP Logged

somvang
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 28th Feb, 2012 at 9:58am

Dear Saovaluck, I am extremely upset against the authorities because many of these death should have been avoided if they had done their job! In a republic, law and order should prevail. The diving attractions had proven extremely dangerous at the dry season which is actually at the same time the high touristic season. Most wounded and dead occurred after hitting an element of the riverbed. We all agrees that alcohol is also an aggravating factor.
Not closing this fair attractions or not properly running them is simply criminal! I urge the authorities to nationalize any pieces of land or already operating business suitable for a reasonably risky diving "thrill" and clean this sh*t for f*ck sake! It is not that difficult to reorganize the tubing activities on Vang Vieng and offer a safer environment to tubers. After having properly regulated those businesses, we can talk about taking responsibility for your actions! Officials through their representative by doing nothing are endangering people, it is crystal clear enough! What you want to do is your not entirely your choice, that is what a republic is for : law and order! In short my dear peoples operating platforms on Vang Vieng are serial murderer and should be in jail.
How long before a pool of embassies drag in court some of this businesses for their responsibility? The sooner, the better! You are missing the point; what is at stake in Vang Vieng is far more important than you think! Here lies one of the battle that Laos cannot afford to loose. Pretty difficult to take seriously a country that want to be developed but cannot fix what is after all a total non sense! What is doing the ministry of tourism?

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #17 - 28th Feb, 2012 at 10:44am

It can be avoided if people follow the advice regarding water ghosts.

Before visiting Vang Vang, people already know that Laos is a third world country and they know that the law and order is not up to scratch, and any extreme water activities can be dangerous.

There's nothing illegal about drinking alcohol or leaping into a river in Laos. These people are thrill seekers and they could easily have an accident or die elsewhere.

In the old days, Vang Vieng never had tubing. The businesses are operated by the Thais coming into Laos from what I've been told.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #18 - 29th Feb, 2012 at 6:43am

Accident happen. Have fun and be safe people Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #19 - 3rd Mar, 2012 at 6:08am

Water sports and alcohol do no mix. Drinking alcohol while tubing,
swimming or entering the water in Vang Vieng can be dangerous.

Beer Lao in Vang Vieng, Laos

The river in Vang Vieng can be very shallow during the dry season.
Jump in that and you're history.

Shallow river in Vang Vieng, Laos

A female tourist clowning around in a tyre tube in Vang Vieng, Laos.

Tourist clowning around in a tyre tube in Vang Vieng, Laos

Group of tourists relax in front of a wood fire in Vang Vieng, Laos.

Tourists relax in front of a wood fire in Vang Vieng, Laos

Please click on image to view a larger version

Group of tourists relax in front of a wood fire in Vang Vieng, Laos.

Tourists relax in front of a wood fire in Vang Vieng, Laos

Please click on image to view a larger version

IP Logged

Danglao
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #20 - 29th Mar, 2012 at 5:00pm

Safety regulations won't stop stupidity.

What Lao need to do is built a hospital near there and charge outrageous fees.  Cheesy

Or maybe have a bulletin board posted of all the lives claimed ... kind of like this thread lol   Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #21 - 30th Mar, 2012 at 10:50am

If they followed your last suggestion, it will be bad for their business.

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #22 - 15th Apr, 2012 at 6:02pm

I guess people don't understand, this is not like USA, Australia, or Europe. This is Laos, and money is the law. No one's going to babysit you here, there is a price for stupidity and people are learning that the hard way. You can put all the laws and warnings you want but people will still be stupid, it happens all over the world, not just in Vang Vieng. People still drink and drive even though it's against the law and people still get killed because of it. People who are complaining about Vang Vieng should stop being hypocrites and look at the developed countries that they live in and take a look at all the "accidents" that still happen. If you have never been to Vang Vieng then I suggest you go there and see for yourself. It's just like any place, play at your own risk. I've seen people overdose on drugs in many countries, I've seen them drown also cause alcohol was involved. There ain't no difference from Vang Vieng. In my opinion, the reason why these people act stupid here is cause they think they are in a country that has no laws so they think they can do anything they want and forget about common sense. I do feel sorry for their families of the people that lost their lives in Vang Vieng, but let's not try to ruin the place due to a few people and their bad decisions. That would be like saying let's not drive cars anymore cause it's not safe due to all the accidents that happen.

Use some common sense and enjoy!

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #23 - 16th Apr, 2012 at 6:22am

Vang Vieng have more tubing-related deaths than anywhere else in the world, maybe it's because other countries don't allow tubing of this nature so foreigners rush over to Laos.

Tubing is one of the popular tourist attractions in Vang Vieng, especially for western tourists. They tend to enjoy it more than a typical Asian tourist in Laos.

IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #24 - 23rd Apr, 2012 at 8:38pm

Different strokes for different folks!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 6164 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89387 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293087 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140298 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76502 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52921 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78920 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62100 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49155 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44169 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum