Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lao and Thai food pictures only! (Read 27845 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Lao and Thai food pictures only!
24th Apr, 2012 at 6:40am

Okay so post the food that you eat and explain what it is. I will start with this dish that I had never seen or eaten before but I thought it was very interesting and I would have never thought of doing this, pineapple rice. It was some chicken fried rice baked inside a pineapple and it smelled good and tasted even better. The first time I tried it was in Phuket, Thailand and later I had it again in Bangkok, mmmmm!

pinnaple_rice.JPG (130 KB | 1055 )
pinnaple_rice.JPG

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Re: Lao and Thai food pictures only!
Reply #1 - 24th Apr, 2012 at 8:32pm

Did you drive from Bangkok to VTE?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 5:44am

I'm sure it tastes good, and a very unsual dish indeed.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Reply #3 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 8:27am

I originally left the US and landed in Bangkok, then took Lao Airlines to Vientiane where I stayed for about 3 weeks. During my stay in Laos, I went to Xieng Kwong for a few days and then onto Luang Prabang for another few days and finally back to Vientiane again. I have yet to go down south, that will be my next trip, Pakse and Savannakhet and wherever else I can wander to. I went to my birth place in Udon afterwards by crossing by car from Nong Kai and taking a taxi to Udon. After exploring Udon for a few days, I flew air asia to Phuket (2 hr flight) and spent a week there, stayed in Patong Beach. Had the time of my life there. Afterwards, I flew air asia again to Bangkok (1.5 hr flight) and arrived just before the songkran started. I must say, air asia is very convenient to book last minute flights through their website but I hate having to always input all my passport details everytime, especially when you have multiple people, wish you could just save the info. Anyways, the flights are the cheapest of any airline around. Udon to Phuket $95, Puhket to Bangkok $99 one ways. It was even cheaper to go from Bangkok to Udon with air asia $50 versus Lao Airlines going from Bangkok to Vientiane Wattay airport of an astonishing $140 for a one way and $260 return. I know it saves time and convenience from having to travel from Udon to Vientiane but I only spent around 600 baht ($20 US) to get from Nong Kai to Udon by taxi. Anyways, I'm rambling now and being off topic.

Back to the food, man oh man did I ever eat while I was over there. I don't even know where to begin, didn't even have time to take pics of everything I ate but here is a taste to make your mouths water...
I will start with this pic from the infamous restaurant Kop Jai Der across from Joma Cafe. Had to go eat there to see if it lives up to the hype and it was okay. It seemed like the dirtier the place was, the better tasting it was so Kop Jai Der was too clean of a place since it was geared towards foreigners. Maybe the food didn't taste as great due to it being over priced, haha...

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #4 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 9:09am

My first night in Phuket's Patong Beach and I had to have lobster of course. This restaurant was right in front of the beach next to that crazy road with all them lady boys. Had some live music to go along with our dinner which was well worth the 4300 baht I spent on it, haha...

Patong_Beach1.JPG (121 KB | 595 )
Patong_Beach1.JPG

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 1:16pm

Look good. But 4300 baht kind of pricy for lobsters.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #6 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 3:36pm

Maybe this is something worth trying.

Bizzare food

Please click on image to view a larger version

IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #7 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 5:19pm

Too sinful Shocked!

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #8 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 5:40pm

On second thought, that's too cute! What's the name of this dish then Roll Eyes?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #9 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 6:34am

That's funny  Grin

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 26th Apr, 2012 at 3:36pm:

Maybe this is something worth trying.

http://www.laopride.com/pictures2/bizzare-food1.jpg

Please click on image to view a larger version

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 12:29pm

HAIR wrote on 26th Apr, 2012 at 5:40pm:
On second thought, that's too cute! What's the name of this dish then Roll Eyes?

I don't know. Some chicken wing recipe.

IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #11 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 7:51pm

Gai something Roll Eyes?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #12 - 2nd May, 2012 at 8:41am

Seafood by the sea.

Patong_Beach5.JPG (161 KB | 699 )
Patong_Beach5.JPG

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #13 - 2nd May, 2012 at 8:54am

Everytime I ate, there was always food left on the table. This is normal for me in US but I think over there, they kind of think you are wasting food if you don't clean the plates. I sat next to some chinese folks and they ate everything they could, even the wiskers on the lobster. They looked at us like we were crazy to order so much food and not even finish half of it. I was going to ask them if they wanted to finish our leftovers but that would have been rude of me, haha. I noticed also when we went to eat with some real Lao people in Vientiane that they would say things in a very polite way such as when they wanted to take the leftover food home from a restaurant. They would say can you wrap this up for me to take home for my dog, even though they didn't have any pets. Actually, the story goes like this; a man that frequents a restaurant would ask the waitress to place the leftover food in a take out container so he could take it home for his dog. Well one day when his wife came to eat with him, the waitress asked him if he wanted to take the leftovers back to his dog that day and his wife asked her husband, we don't have a dog? So basically he was bringing the food home to his wife but instead of saying it directly, Lao people like to say things in a more elegant way, so I was told. There are a lot of phrases like this that play on words cause Lao people don't really want to be too direct, it is impolite. I however, don't ever take food home in a doggy bag at a restaurant.

Patong_Beach3.JPG (175 KB | 979 )
Patong_Beach3.JPG

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 2nd May, 2012 at 11:03am

The seafood dish looks nice. Chinese people tend to eat a lot.

Yes, Lao people have a habit of bringing leftovers home for the "dog", but in actual fact they bring the food home for people to eat. It can be embarrassing to state that you want to bring the food home for others to eat, so they mention dog or cat instead.

I never bring leftovers home. I've seen people stealing food home from buffet restaurants.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 15553 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 94195 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 297255 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143549 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79366 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55305 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 81122 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 64017 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50670 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45503 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum