Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Political Ramifications of OZ (Read 26560 times)

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
The Political Ramifications of OZ
12th Apr, 2013 at 8:51am

Should BBC refuse to play Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead?

ANTI-Thatcher protesters have propelled the Wizard Of Oz song, Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead, into the charts.

It is nice Reagan did not sing well. Moonwalk

oz.jpg (97 KB | 700 )
oz.jpg
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: The Political Ramifications of OZ
Reply #1 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 9:54am

I've been following the developments too. The song is alive again, and right up there in the UK singles chart.

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't play it.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #2 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 10:42am

Some people love her, then prime minister, some people hate her, then prime minister. Some people hate her survive her, so, they push it. I love then prime minister and Reagan because I love Star War Plan.  Michael Jackson dancing

Source: Page 3

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 11:17am

That's the way it should be, people should have a choice whether they hate or love their leaders.

Everyone in Laos must love the Lao Prime Minister in Mr. Thongsing Thammavong or they won't see the light of day again.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #4 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 11:26am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Apr, 2013 at 11:17am:
That's the way it should be, people should have a choice whether they hate or love their leaders.

Everyone in Laos must love the Lao Prime Minister in Mr. Thongsing Thammavong or they won't see the light of day again.

I can feel that. But, I really love Star War.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 11:36am

Fair enough.
Not my kettle of fish, my taste in movies is a bit different. Cool

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #6 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 11:59am

I read your profile, you love Roxxette. that is like Star War music.

Grin

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Apr, 2013 at 11:36am:
Fair enough.
Not my kettle of fish, my taste in movies is a bit different. Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 12:14pm

Roxette has many good songs.

I haven't heard the Star Wars music.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #8 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 12:25pm

Ding dong over anti-Thatcher song

Fury as BBC set to play Witch Is Dead
ditty just three days before her funeral

THE BBC plans to play Thatcher protest song Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead just three days before her funeral — sparking fury among her supporters.
The track is expected to be aired on Radio 1’s chart show on Sunday night after a rush to buy it by hate-filled lefties saw it surge into the top ten.

The move will pit the Corporation against Lady Thatcher’s fans who have branded it the first major test for new director general Lord Hall.

Sir Gerald Howarth, Maggie’s former private secretary, told The Sun it would be a “complete dereliction of duty” by the BBC to play the Wizard of Oz ditty, hijacked in a protest against the ex Tory PM.

He said: “Lord Hall has got to get this right. If the BBC stoops so low as to broadcast this song it will offend a great many people.”

But Tory MP Rob Wilson said the Beeb should play the track.

He tweeted: “While unpleasant, BBC right to play leftie-hate song re MrsT. She didn’t free millions to censor tiny no. of nasty idiots.”

BBC insiders said a final decision will be taken on Sunday morning but execs saw “no reason” not to play it if it gets high in the charts.

Lord Hall told BBC staff yesterday he would “keep an eye” on the situation but said Radio 1 managers would make the decision.

A source said that as many of the station’s young listeners did not know who Lady T was, a reporter would explain why the hit was in the Top Ten — a station first.

Ding Dong — at 51 seconds one of the shortest songs to ever chart — was yesterday set to reach No4, up from No10 a day before, said the Official Charts Company.

A BBC source said: “The higher it charts, the more chance it will get played. It probably will be.”

A spokesman said the BBC would not make a decision to play it or not on grounds of taste or politics, adding the chart show is a “historical, factual account” of public sales.

But the Beeb banned Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood in 1984 and the Sex Pistols’ 1977 punk anthem God Save The Queen.

It also barred three Beatles’ hits in 1967 and Rihanna’s racy S&M from daytime play in 2011.

Ding Dong’s sales will make about £10,000 for Hollywood giant Time Warner — which owns The Wizard Of Oz movie copyright.

The song was written for the 1939 film with words by Yip Harburg and music by Harold Arlen.

The Munchkins sing it after Dorothy’s house kills the Wicked Witch of the East — making the Wicked Witch of the West seek revenge.

The song row was condemned globally yesterday. The Washington Post noted: “There were no similar scenes of jubilation after the 1994 death of Richard Nixon, a polarizing figure.”

Meanwhile, the BBC had 227 complaints that its coverage was biased against Maggie, 268 moans it was pro-Lady T, and 271 that too much time was devoted to her death from a stroke on Monday aged 87.

Should the Beeb play it?
YES
MICK HUME, Freedom of speech campaigner

IT is gross stupidity to imagine that getting Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead to No1 is a meaningful political protest.

But a BBC ban would be even more stupid.

Buying Ding Dong! isn’t a political act. Banning it would be.

NO

IF the BBC plays it then, like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, they have no heart.

Bosses must say: “We are not going to play a song to celebrate the death of an 87 year-old woman.” How hard a decision is it for them?

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 12:34pm

I love Roxette songs, nearly all of them. I think it has still many old and young hardcore fans around the world. Last time, I heard Fading Like A Rose when nosing around in a gift shop in Brazil amazon region. Then I whistled with the rhythm, at cashier, she asked me if I love the band, I said yes, and I got 15% percent discount. I only regretted I had not taken more gifts.  Grin

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Apr, 2013 at 12:14pm:
Roxette has many good songs.

I haven't heard the Star Wars music.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 12:46pm

It's somewhat hilarious for a song from the 1930's to be popular again. Time Warner will be happy about it.

That's nice of the cashier, Roxette has songs that you never get sick of listening to.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 12:57pm

This Year Best Hit? I think so. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 12th Apr, 2013 at 3:33pm

It could be United Kingdom's best hit of the year, but probably not globally.

It brings Judy Garland and The Wizard of Oz back into the media.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #13 - 13th Apr, 2013 at 12:20am

Prime Minister Thatcher was one of the greatest leaders for any nation that is in my lifetime. 

That's what so great about living in the free world = freedom of speech.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68389 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245614 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130923 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67127 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45855 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72425 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56099 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44256 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39965 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33198 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum