Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ministry calls for traditional celebration of Pi Mai (Read 82612 times)

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Awards: 2
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Re: Ministry calls for traditional celebration of Pi Mai
Reply #15 - 4th May, 2014 at 10:30am

TexasCowboy wrote on 3rd May, 2014 at 8:32pm:
A staggering number of Lao people drink and drive from my experience. And the government should take initiative to discourage the drinking culture because it is counterproductive and potentially tragic.

Thailand has been thoroughly westernized and it is evident in their lack of genuine culture. I don't want to see the same thing happen in Laos.

Its gonna happen just a matter of time.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #16 - 6th May, 2014 at 10:18pm

It won't happen on the same scale because Thailand will always have a proportionately greater number of tourists than Laos. Europeans generally seek beach spots in SE Asia because they want to forget how cold and dreary it is on their end of the Eurasian landmass.The government of Laos can and should take action to prevent rapid cultural diffusion as many elements of Western culture are problematic and contrary to contemporary Lao society.

A temple is a place of tradition. Wearing a short skirt and a skimpy top is disrespectful to the beautiful Buddhist tradition and offensive to the monks. Lao women should have dignity and dress conservatively. Otherwise they will end up like their Thai sisters and the nation will attract undesirables.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #17 - 8th May, 2014 at 10:10am

If you are not westernized, you will have no money!  no honey, not funny. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #18 - 8th May, 2014 at 10:49am

The almighty $$$ corrupt anything and everything.
As for being the moral police, shouldn't that be enforce
by property manager ? I agree with woman not wearing
short with their butt cheek hanging out at the temple.
When i was in Thailand they didn't even let the men go in
the temple wearing short.I'm just saying doesn't the goverment have better things to do ?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #19 - 5th Jun, 2014 at 4:20am

Where is the proof of the butt cheek hanging out Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy?

Picture please? Grin Grin Grin

ba dac wrote on 8th May, 2014 at 10:49am:
The almighty $$$ corrupt anything and everything.
As for being the moral police, shouldn't that be enforce
by property manager ? I agree with woman not wearing
short with their butt cheek hanging out at the temple.
When i was in Thailand they didn't even let the men go in
the temple wearing short.I'm just saying doesn't the goverment have better things to do ?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #20 - 16th Jun, 2014 at 11:40am

I agree with TexasCowboy but I think it's already too late to save Laos. Now even all the small towns in Thailand have KFC and McDonalds and stuff and everyone is on facebook starting from age 10, even in the rural villages.

Why I think Laos cannot be saved? A multitude of reasons. I had been to Laos about 10 years ago and nearly every single woman was wearing traditional Lao attire (Sinh) and now you rarely see any Lao women wear those except for the very impoverished tribal people and the ones that are forced to wear it because they work in a government job or something. No one wears it out of free will anymore, and if the government didn't force students and employees to wear Sinh then all Lao women would've stopped wearing it by now because they want to be westernized so bad.

In Vientiane no one listens to Luuk Tung anymore they all listen to f-cking rock music and English language pop. Again, the only people who enjoy traditional Lao/Thai music anymore are the impoverished tribal people and the poorest of the poor Lao people. Once they get a little bit of money, they stop listening to Lao music completely. What's wrong with this world?

You really think having money is more important than keeping your identity alive? If that's so then why not just sell your soul to Satan for some money. (That was just an expression I don't really believe in Satan and I'm not Christian but I hope you get my point.)

(Edit) Question for the admin, since you live in Vientiane and you may know, do you like Luuk Tung Lao musc? Do any of your friends like it? I'm guessing the answer is NO

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #21 - 16th Jun, 2014 at 1:18pm

I don't listen to those kinds of Lao music, and neither do my friends. Everything changes on this planet that we call Earth. People change, technology change, and even music change.

Do westerners listen to Jazz and country music anymore? I'm sure there's not many.

Do people even listen to Judy Garland anymore? I do but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

We as humans have to adjust to the era that we live in, it is part of life to get with the times because everything evolves.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #22 - 16th Jun, 2014 at 5:25pm

Jazz and country music both originated in the United States. They are not traditional forms of music. Judy Garland was a Hollywood actress who undermined the moral fabric of American society. She does not embody traditional values.

The world certainly has changed. Western media and marketing has created a culture of entitlement, to the extent that psychologists are now concerned about a narcissism epidemic. The US might be an importer of goods but it is an exporter of culture. Our culture will poison the minds of the rest of the planet.

But not for long! In the next fifteen years, the real estate bubble in China will burst and what will inevitably follow is a global economic catastrophe. Add to this the decline of the prestige of the dollar and a dwindling supply of energy and we are now looking at a world with much less commerce & exchange. City dwellers in the next five decades will simply not have the resources to sustain their current lifestyle. Most national fiat currencies will collapse and these urban dwellers will find themselves unable to pay for the necessities of life.

I look forward to this future and only hope that farmers will refuse to feed, clothe, and shelther their hopeless urban counterpart. Their existence has been parasitical both to the farmers who they poorly compensate and steal from and to the planet which they have polluted.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #23 - 16th Jun, 2014 at 5:35pm

Mak Nad, most Lao people outside of Vientiane listen to Luk Tung. Most of the country gals still wear the sinh and are morally upright and not promiscuous. I don't know why you take issue with the presence of a KFC. Although the food is garbage, it will not lead to the destruction of Lao culture. Even before the industrial revolution, there were cross-cultural exchanges of cuisine. Not trying to defend KFC, just in the grand scheme of things it is rather insignificant when compared to the destructive effects of the media.

Mak Nad, although you probably don't understand certain trends of history (because it takes literally thousands of hours of study, I have been studying this issue for ten years now), you seem to have the capacity to understand something is amiss. Just hold fast and realize that although we won't see the total collapse of globalization and the industrial world in our lifetime, it will happen before the entire planet is consumed and contaminated. Take pleasure in the fact that we are already in the beginning stages of the collapse and remain hopeful that the process will be accelerated by unforeseeable events.  Also prepare yourself, learn farming, mechanics, survival skill, really anything that will distinguish you from the hopeless city dwelling masses. Even earn money and take from their economy so long as you make a plan to use that money to acquire land of your own.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #24 - 17th Jun, 2014 at 12:09am

I have a few things I want to address here. First of all, country music is still very popular in the United States, although Jazz would probably appeal to an older demographic of people. You know Taylor Swift, you know, one of the most popular artists of today? Well, her music is a blend of country and pop music. So admin's statement about country music being phased out in the U.S.A. is not true. Also in the Southern United States country music is still very popular among certain demographics. As for Jazz, I think older black people in the south/east coast still listen to it, and maybe some hipsters in NYC.

What makes you think Luuk Tung is some old outdated thing that should stopped being listened to because it's 2014? New Luuk Tung songs are still being made every day. Even in Thailand all the older people from the provinces still like listening to Luuk Tung, and most of the male teenagers/boys in the country like Luuk Tung. The only people in Thailand who don't like Luuk Tuung are the pseudo nu wave Hi-So tweenie bopper 12 year old airhead girls that screech whenever a handsome guy appears on their sh-tty Thai soap operas and the Hi-So Thai people who have a lot of money and status and see Luuk Tung as low-status redneck hillbilly music. It's not about the world changing, but about people changing due to social and economic divisions. In most east and southeast Asian countries, being "international" and speaking "Engrish" is seen as a high status thing, and so listening to Luuk Tung would detract from their "high status image" and make them "lose face." Westerners are not impressed when Asian people try to speak English in order to seem "civilized" and "upper-class." In fact, they feel the complete opposite. Most feel pretty appalled that so many "high-class Asians" have such low opinions of their own fellow countrymen.

Any educated American/other westerner understands the value of one's cultural heritage and respects the cultures of different countries around the world. That is why Americans enjoy going to visit countries that are not necessarily developed in terms of economics, but have a rich cultural heritage. The higher class Asians couldn't give a sh-t about these countries and just see them as underdeveloped wastelands. I have had Thai people tell me to my face that they will never go to Laos or Cambodia because they see these people as inferior and poor and those were their exact words.

It's not just Vientiane that has Hi-So people who think they have "progressed" beyond their fellow countrymen and are more "developed." I have also encountered them in Ta Khaek, Pak Se, and even in Savannakhet. I have been to almost every province in Laos and all the city dwellers share this common theme. I also encounter this in the cities in Thailand. Countryside Thais in Isan and Northern Thailand can be just as nice and sincere as Lao people but the problem with Thailand is only that globalization has taken a firmer grip on the nation and caused large scale social, political and economic divide and weakened the unity of the country.

As for why I get upset when I see KFC and McDonalds, I can answer that. It's not really the food they serve that upsets me it's just because of the fact that they serve as symbols that indicate the area is changing for the worst, and they are symbols that indicate further destruction of local culture. Basically when they build KFCs it's like putting up a sign saying "This area has been selected for American Imperialism, we will continue to strengthen our grip on this area."

In my opinion I think America is wholly responsible for the demise of Lao culture. If it wasn't for America's constant attacks on the Soviet Union then Laos would have had a trading partner and it's economy would never have collapsed, thus it would never have had to open up the country to the outside world.

Laos was closed off from the outside world up until the 1990s when the Soviet Union collapsed and the Lao economy started to fail because the U.S. doesn't do business with Marxist states, so the only choice it had was to open its economy and get flooded with American trash culture.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #25 - 17th Jun, 2014 at 3:12am

Life is short and we will all be dead when we are about 100 years old, so just listen to the type of music that you enjoy, be nice to each other and respect other people's choice of music.

None of these genre of music will exist in hundreds of years from now because they will be very outdated. Future humans will be referring to us as prehistoric people, as we refer to those in the past as prehistoric people.

Evolution of people also means the evolution of music.  Wink

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #26 - 17th Jun, 2014 at 11:00am

So much for western culture invasion. So long money says, then, let money say.  Any culture has merits.

I think the property bubbles wont burst in China. It will just stay there.

And again , from every word above, I think we would be better if we are trained to be tarzan.

I also think farmers would sell their products to homeless city deweller in case of outflow to rural areas.

Last, if young like facebook or twitter or some social media tools, let them have. I like Jazz and Country too and rock althought I am a little too old. I respect traditon and also love icecream of KFC.

As for Thai girls, all Thai girls I know are very very very good. I should say much much much better than the girls from the place I live. Maybe the Cowboy knows it since he lived in China for some years. Humans are implanted with genes, character wont change even outside conditions change. But, I am not racist.  Grin Grin Grin, I am Humanist. ha ha ha  Grin Grin.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #27 - 19th Jun, 2014 at 12:29am

Yes, I know. For the most part Thai girls are still very conservative and not very slutty. I just bash them because they have become extremely westernized and now I see the same pattern happening in some parts of Laos.

As for the people constantly changing and evolving, I don't buy that at all. It's complete nonsense. There are still hunter-gatherer groups living scattered all over the world. Indigenous people of Central and South America who still retain their original ways of live, hunting for food in the forest. These people have been living completely free lives, without worries about the economy, or making payments on their new car, or the mortgage on their home. They don't get obese or get cancer like "civilized" people either. These people only started to become miserable when Europeans invaded their land and brought diseases which killed them and cut down forests and hunted animals to extinction, driving away their food sources. You seriously think development is a good thing? You are so delusional. These people need no money. Even today in Malaysia there are tribal people whose culture dictates that they take no more than they need, and up until the Malaysian government started cutting down the forests and attacking the native people with guns and arresting them, they were living completely free lives. The government just made efforts to "civilize" them and assimilate them into mainstream society.

Laos also had several groups, such as Hmong, Brao, Katu and many other tribes for example, that were living in peace with nature until the government tried to "civilize" them by making them think they need money, electricity and consumer items. This is all just a scam by greedy, capitalist scumbag pigs. These people were living just fine until capitalism told them the way they were living was wrong and they needed to change things.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #28 - 19th Jun, 2014 at 1:13am

The hunter-gatherer groups live in that kind of environment, so they adapt to them.

You are using the internet because you live in a different environment to them where there is more advanced technology. You wouldn't have had this kind of privilege many years ago because the world is changing and for the better.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #29 - 19th Jun, 2014 at 1:27am

I'm sorry, how is the world changing for the better when we have ecosystems being wiped out every day because of capitalist animals and Lan Xang (Land of a Million Elephants) has less than 2,000 elephants left? You know in places like Thailand and Laos there used to be these things called plants and trees? Have you ever heard of them? The only green thing everyone cares about now is money. Back then in the past you didn't need money to survive, you could just gather food from nature.

The world is not changing for the better, people are just becoming more greedy and the want more money. People will do anything for money, even destroy the earth and destroy nature and everyone is sitting back and not caring. Did you forget why Laos was called Lan Xang? Maybe you should change the name to ບໍ່ເຖຶງສອງພັນຊ້າງ

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79037 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248975 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133217 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69913 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47529 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73998 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57619 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45442 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41045 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34000 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum