Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lao Music Appreciation Thread (Read 39850 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Lao Music Appreciation Thread
25th Jun, 2014 at 12:46pm

I'll start off with one of my favorites.

Feel free to add your own videos to this thread. If you have questions about the lyrics I can translate for you.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Re: Lao Music Appreciation Thread
Reply #1 - 25th Jun, 2014 at 12:51pm

I love all these songs.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Peter
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Somewhere over the rainbow
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #2 - 25th Jun, 2014 at 2:31pm

Buk Nut wrote on 25th Jun, 2014 at 12:46pm:
Feel free to add your own videos to this thread.

Oh ... you had no clue when you said that what kind of a mistake you were making.
Cool  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Cool

I considered creating another thread for a few of the things I've run into.  It would be most appropriately named something like:
"
The most gawd-awful Thai Pop music on the internet.

(My wife calls this teen stuff "Bubblegum Pop")

... but I figured that, rather than honor it with its own thread, I'd post it here and people can skip over it if they want to.  (You've gotta realize that I grew up on Beach Boys, Beatles, & Chuck Berry.)

For instance, this is the first thing I ran into when looking for Thai music.  It's probably everything you'll hate, complete with mixing Thai with English (the actual Thai language song starts after a whole minute).

Or a somewhat less silly song (by the same singers and production studio).  I can't get this tune out of my head recently and I need to finish digging through a translation:

Or (actually my favorite, both for the tune and the theme) ...

... and I have no clue why a Thai Pop music production company has a Japanese name that's a fairly ancient military reference meaning "Sacred Wind".

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #3 - 25th Jun, 2014 at 11:35pm

I listened to the first song and it wasn't that bad. The intro was in English but she didn't sing in Creole. I've seen worse music.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 26th Jun, 2014 at 12:59am

I will stick to Winger instead.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #5 - 26th Jun, 2014 at 10:25am

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #6 - 26th Jun, 2014 at 3:21pm

Mak Nad has a good taste in Lao music. I love listening to ແກ້ເມັຍ (ກິດາວເພັດ+ພິ້ງ)
Was the song produced in Pakse? I ask because the song is especially popular in Pakse.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #7 - 26th Jun, 2014 at 9:58pm

This site really needs more active users. Right now I can only count about 5 people that post here.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Peter
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Somewhere over the rainbow
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #8 - 27th Jun, 2014 at 3:38pm

Buk Nut wrote on 26th Jun, 2014 at 9:58pm:
This site really needs more active users. Right now I can only count about 5 people that post here.

I only count 4 people ...

... well, plus a pineapple-looking thing with feet.

Tongue

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 27th Jun, 2014 at 9:24pm

I've tried promoting LaoPride but my friends aren't interested in Laos. Tongiht I sang Lao and thai karaoke in Vientiane. It was enjoyable but expensive.... 136,000 kip !

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #10 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 1:08am

That's way too expensive. Sometimes it seems like no one really cares about Laos. Makes me feel kinda gloomy. People always want to learn about Thailand and Thai culture/language but no one sees the value of Laos.

How are you making money to live in Laos?

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 1:32am

I've been living off my savings for the past few months. My monthly expenditures generally range from $500-700. I've had digestive issues for two months now. I was planning on applying for a teacher training program (for the certificate) around the time I fell ill. I hope to teach in China and build a savings but I might need to go back to the US to seek medical treatment. Problem is I'm uninsured and am more or less unemployable in the states. (BA in History) On the positive side, I have no student loan debt.  I have taken metronidazole and norfloxacin and both were ineffective. My main issues are a lack of appetite and chronic diarrhea. I also have stomach cramps. My life is in a downward spiral to some extent and I've drank and smoked ganja every night for the five days to forget about it. The alcohol is probably making my stomach condition even worse.  My post rate on this site is related to the amount of alcohol I consume. Before that, I wasn't really drinking much at all besides the occasional glass of beer to be polite or drinking during Lao New Year. I am 22 and it is likely that I will have to mooch off of my parents in the near future. I try to remind myself that I am in this situation due to my health but I have felt like a loser for the past month.

I could also do teaching in Vientiane but I want to obtain fluency in the  Chinese language and immersion is the only way for me to achieve that goal.

136,000 was for beer, the karaoke room, and a plate of kebab. Prices in Lao have been going up and it is very difficult to live under 500USD/month as a foreigner if you are in a bigger city like Pakse, Savannakhet, or Vientiane. The level of income inequality in the capital is shocking. Many people drive around in new cars while some of my friends live in dilapidated tin shicks on the outskirts.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #12 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 2:04am

You need to be more careful about what you eat in Laos. I've had the diarrhea problem as well. The locals don't seem to get it too often. Be wary of vegetables and try to avoid eating at restaurants if you can. Try to eat at the homes of your friends because they don't leave the food out like the restaurants do. I've never had a problem eating as someone's house.

Where do you get ganja in Laos? I wish I could've smoked some. A BA in history eh? It's all making sense now. I always thought you were older than 22 just because of the way you typed.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #13 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 2:30am

Ganja is available everywhere in Laos, especially anywhere with tourists. The prices for tourists are laughable and the people selling look very sketchy. A Lao friend bought 30,000 kip of ganja for me and he brought back a grocery store plastic bag full of weed. The quantity was ridiculous and way more than I really wanted so I gave him about a third of the bag as a gift. I gave some to a rasta from the Canary Islands. And I've smoked between 30-40 joints in the last few days. My supply is almost out and I'm somewhat thankful because it was just too much. If I had an apartment I'd probably make some bubble hash.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #14 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 10:57am

Wish I'd have snagged some, but I wasn't exactly looking for it as I thought it was very illegal to have that stuff in Laos. Next time I go to Laos I might check it out though. Nothing like getting high in Laos. Have you seen those huge pipes that the tribes in Southern Laos smoke out of? Imagine putting ganja in one of those. You'd be in the clouds...I think like every Katu person smokes that huge pipe.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78161 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248669 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133013 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69727 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47367 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73853 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57478 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45333 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40922 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33919 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum