Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just how sick in the head are Thais? My firsthand experiences (Read 29117 times)

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Awards: 2
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Re: Just how sick in the head are Thais? My firsthand experiences
Reply #15 - 6th Aug, 2014 at 11:40am

I'm assuming you gonna be the beast from the east ,lol.
Before you know it .you'll be all over utube. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #16 - 27th Aug, 2014 at 5:24pm

The Kathuic peoples apparently descend from a snake. An orphan was expelled from his village and went to live in the jungle alone as a hermit. He built a small hut to live in and everyday when he returned from his fields, he came home to a delicious dinner. Not knowing who had prepared it for him, he decided one day to hide in his hut and to see who was cooking for him. He discovered that it was a very beautiful woman who was bringing him dinner. He questioned her, asking why she was providing for him. The woman responded that she saw him living alone and had taken pity on him. He asked to marry her and she brought him home to her parents. As they were approaching the home of her parents, she transformed into a snake. It was then that the man realized that his love was in fact a snake and both of her parents were snakes. They permitted the marriage on condition that a dowry would be paid to them. The couple married and had four children together, two girls and two boys. The wife passed away and the children married each other and multiplied. This is the origin of the Kathuic peoples.

Until the 18th century, a giant terrorized the Kathuic people. The giant descended from the heavens every month and demanded that one villager be offered to him. A pariah and an ugly man who was quite fond of smoking a waterpipe had recently settled down in a Kathu village. He was greatly despised and the people found his presence unbearable. The villagers elected to offer him up to the giant. Facing certain death, the pariah asked for his waterpipe and began to smoke. As the giant descended from the heavens, he saw the man exhaling smoke from his mouth. Fearing that the man was, in fact, a dragon, the giant fled. And to this day, the Kathu continue to smoke from bamboo pipes.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #17 - 29th Aug, 2014 at 10:30am

Nice story.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #18 - 30th Sep, 2014 at 9:02am

TexasCowboy, where did you hear that story?

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #19 - 7th Oct, 2014 at 3:39am

Many of my friends are Kathu and one of them can speak very good English. My friend explained to me in English and I was talking with a few Kathu in Lao and they confirmed the story.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #20 - 8th Oct, 2014 at 6:27am

That is very nice. Where did you meet them? As far as I'm aware, most Kathu people live in Xe Kong, with a few villages in Salavan Province on the way to Tad Lo. There are also Kathu people in Vietnam, believe it or not. I'm actually very interested in their cultures and language and I'd someday like to learn their languages and do some linguistic analysis. I have no linguistics degree but I'm an amateur linguist.

As far as I am aware, the province of Champassak is mainly Lao people in Pak Se, with a small Suay population in Sukuma and Muang Bajeang. The Ngae tribe can be found in Bajeang also. Around the Pak Song loop towards Attapeu you can find the Yahern people.

Attapeu: Yahern tribe continuing down on the same road coming from Pak Song in Champassak. A smaller tribe called Oy, I have visited their village once before. From Phu Vong down to Cambodia, you can find the Brao tribe, also called Lavae (some find Lavae offensive).

Se Kong: Kathu, in many villages. There are very few Lao people in Se Kong outside of the city. It's basically a Mon Khmer speaking province, but Lao people came and set up the city as a trading post. Tae Taeng has Suay, and Kathu and Ta Oy, I think. (I'm not so sure.) If you go around Muang Laman it's all Alak. They have very cool looking designs on their homes if you ever get to go take a look. Around Pa Um, you will see a huge missile, an old remnant from the Vietnam War. If you continue up into the mountains from Pa Um in between the path to Chalern Xai there is an unknown Mon-Khmer tribe. I've been up there myself and asked them, but they don't seem to be able to speak Lao. There are no schools and no electricity in that area. If you go towards Dak Cheung, high up in the mountains, the Talieng tribe can be found. They can all speak Lao, although the area is on the poor side. I think Talieng is the only tribe in Dak Cheung.

I haven't visited all of Attapeu and Se Kong, but I'm sure there are other tribes there. I have to go back and map them out someday. Maybe you can help me, TexasCowboy, if you are still in Laos. I need to learn information of the tribe that lives between Pa Um and Chalern Xai. None of them can speak Lao. I've suspected that it was Alak but I'm not sure.

I attached a picture of this unknown tribe's village in the mountains.

EDIT: the village is bigger than that but I couldn't fit the whole image on here due to a file size limit.

tribal_village.jpg (237 KB | 604 )
tribal_village.jpg
View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #21 - 8th Oct, 2014 at 12:39pm

Nice village!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 285884 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85688 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137578 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74047 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50858 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77095 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60468 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47787 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43026 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35503 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum