Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Donating Judy Garland's money to the children of Laos (Read 29219 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Donating Judy Garland's money to the children of Laos
10th Nov, 2014 at 5:07am

We do a lot of good things in Laos by passing our love of The Wizard of Oz darling in Judy Garland down to the wider Lao community and the rest of the world.

Our small but generous monetary donations in dedication of Judy Garland to the poor Lao children won't be life-changing for them, but it does put a smile on their faces and they can treat themselves to some lollies for a day and that gives us a lot of joy.

Please click on image to view a larger version

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Donating Judy Garland's money to the children of Laos
Reply #1 - 11th Nov, 2014 at 1:23am

We have also donated thousands of dollars to Judy Garland through a ceremony in Laos, to her fans around the world, and even those who purchase our ruby slippers.

Judy Garland as Dorothy cash handouts around the world

IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #2 - 12th Nov, 2014 at 1:33pm

So is this part of some kind of foreign NGO or what admin? I see a lot of foreigners in your pictures, they look like Americans to me.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #3 - 17th Nov, 2014 at 5:51pm

We hope with Judy Garland's one dollar note, she will look down on the less well-off children in Laos and give them a bright future.

IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #4 - 18th Nov, 2014 at 12:18pm

May I ask where in Laos that is? Also that can barely get them one meal due to inflation these days. LOL, you are funny admin. I hope you gave them more than that, if they are really needy.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 18th Nov, 2014 at 1:22pm

We have donated to children everywhere around the country, and not just one specific location.

There are millions of needy people in Laos, it is not my job to provide them with meals.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #6 - 18th Nov, 2014 at 11:23pm

Yes, true, but I just dont see how 1 dollar will do anything.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 19th Nov, 2014 at 12:56am

It's not your ordinary one dollar bill. It's a special bill from Judy Garland to be kept as a memento for good luck, but it can be spent if they wish.

We give handouts of her money to a lot of people, and they appreciate this unique and special gift. A dollar is equivalent to 8,000 kip which can feed children a bowl of noodle in the countryside.

It doesn't matter how much you give the poor in Laos, it won't do anything either unless you help them on a regular basis.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #8 - 19th Nov, 2014 at 3:53am

Laos and Cambodia are similar that they rely on handouts to get by. Theyre different because I've never seen a Lao person violently attack a foreigner, unlike a Cambodian.

Then there's Burma, which massacres its own citizens and doesn't allow foreign aid.

Don't forget about Siam, it gets by by selling the bodies of its women and selling its dignity to the west.

Vietnam can at least stand on its own, but the economy is not as good as Thailand because they dont sell their dignity.

I say Lao people are the most human of the group.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 19th Nov, 2014 at 4:26am

I disagree that Laos and Cambodia are similar.

There's plenty of organisations where you can donate through, in order to help children in Cambodia have a better future.

Laos is more like "take any donations on the streets" instead of relying on monthly donations through official means to help those in need get by.

Laos sell bodies of women too, and not just in Thailand these days. I'm not going to pretend that it's not happening in Laos, it's getting worst.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #10 - 19th Nov, 2014 at 10:57am

I only said they were similar because of the fact that they rely on foreign handouts. Apart from that, Lao people and Khmers are a world apart.

You know, back in the day, before Laos opened up to the outside world, there were no sexual diseases in the entire country.

I think part of the problem is that Laos lets in so many foreigners, and also maybe Lao people go to work in Thailand or other neighboring countries and catch an infection/disease and they bring it back into Laos.

The thing here is that Laos had to open the country up to stop the economy from failing. Even after opening the country up to the outside world, most Lao people still have few ways to make money, and the economy is still very small.

Yes, Lao girls do sell themselves. It's very sad, I think. Most of the people that come to beg in the cities are Lao Theng (ລາວເທີງ) people. I've had a Khmu boy follow me all day, begging for me to buy his trinkets, and he looked like he was about to be in tears. It seems to me that Lao Lum people are much better off economically than Lao Theng and Lao Sung people, but there are still quite a few impoverished Lao Lum people.

Poverty in Laos is not limited to the countryside. I have friends that live on a major road in Southern Laos and they can't even afford to take their kids to the doctor when he is sick. I see many kids in Laos drop out in ປ. 2 and they can barely even read. A lot of ethnic minority Lao people I know don't even know how to read, and neither do their school age children. I once met a Lao girl who was 17 and she lived in the city and she didn't even know how to read.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 19th Nov, 2014 at 2:18pm

The last boy's T-shirt is very nice.  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 20th Nov, 2014 at 3:19pm

Even King Anouvong wants a piece of Judy Garland!

Even King Anouvong wants a piece of Judy Garland!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68609 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245685 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130978 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67180 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45893 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72457 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56129 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44282 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39997 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33219 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum