Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What type of business would you create in Lao ? (Read 44718 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: What type of business would you create in Lao ?
Reply #15 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 12:49am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 26th Apr, 2017 at 3:58am:
Beer has become a part of Lao culture in this day as age whether people like it or not.

Back in the old days, dancing on the streets of Laos and sharing beers with friends and family and splashing water on each other during Lao New Year celebrations wouldn't be acceptable in Lao society, now it's considered normal.

If you're a tourist visiting Laos and you don't buy your friend a beer when you know they love drinking beer then it will give you a bad reputation.

They obviously need something to drink with their food when you take them out to lunch or dinner. Are you going to tell them "look, pal, you can order any drink you like except a beer?"

And please be aware that when Lao people drink beer, they don't just drink a single glass of beer. They drink many bottles of beer.

So how was Songkran celebrated in the past?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #16 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 2:45am

Buk Nut wrote on 30th Apr, 2017 at 12:49am:
So how was Songkran celebrated in the past?

Perhaps you could ask the Thais because they celebrate songkran.

We celebrate songkhan in Laos.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #17 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 2:57am

The spelling is unimportant to me. It's essentially the same holiday, they even have it in Southern China, where the Dai Lue people live, and in Shan state, Myanmar. And I thought the Lao language used to have the "R" sound back then until it was dropped.

Anyway, I think the Lao, the Siamese, the Dai and the Shan are essentially the same people with small differences.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #18 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 3:54am

The spelling matters because it reflects how you say it. If I go around saying that I enjoyed my "songkran", everybody will think that I'm a Thai person.

We are not the same as the Thais, the Bangkok Thais wouldn't consider Laotians as the same as them.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #19 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 4:43am

I know they wouldn't, because Bangkok Thais are pretentious trash who think they're better than everyone else.

Thai people, Lao people, Dai people and Shan people are "the same" in the same way Germans, Dutch, Danes and Austrians are "the same."

Anyway, how was "songkhan" celebrated in the past?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #20 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 5:24am

Everybody on Earth is the same, we all have ears, eyes, nose, hands and legs, but our culture and language is different. Thai and Lao are different people in this regard.

The Lao New Year, or songkhan, was celebrated in a more respectful nature during the Lao Kingdom era.

You could walk on the streets and not be shocked to have trucks driving past and splashing water all over you from nowhere, or drunks dancing with music and alcohol beverages on every street.

In the past, people would approach you and say good wishes, then splash water for good luck in the new year.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #21 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 5:50am

I disagree admin. You do understand that Thai and Lao come from a common root right? If it weren't for the French then Laos would've been absorbed into the kingdom of Siam and just be another "regional dialect."

I'm talking about ethnic groups which are very close to each other in terms of language and culture. Thai and Lao are similar in this regard as are Germans and Dutch.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #22 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 7:48am

Forget about the French, lets go back to ancient times when they weren't in Laos.

Laos is between 5 countries, that means that people from those countries would have crossed into Laos in history, so therefore Laos come from a common root from many countries and not just Thai.

Did you know that in early Lao history, King Fa Ngum married a Khmer princess, and 10,000 Khmer army crossed into Laos? That's a lot of Khmer people at the time to come to Laos.

If anything, Laotians have more of a common root to modern day Cambodians. They eat sticky rice and padaek (fermented fish) just like Laotians. Thais don't eat these things.

There's a lot of Vietnamese living in Laos these days too.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #23 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 9:11am

Thanks for imparting me with that knowledge. The Isaan area of Thailand is almost the same linguistically and culturally as Laos, except Isaan people tend to be more on the dark-skinned side, kind of like the highland Lao people (Lao Teng) who are said to have been the original inhabitants of Laos. The Lowland Lao (Lao Lum) as we know today, came down from Southern China in waves as did the Siamese. The Lao Lum tend to have lighter skin and more East Asian features than the highland Lao and the Khmers. Khmers tend to be darker and the language sounds similar to highland Lao languages.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #24 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 10:06am

Asian people have yellow skin so we tend to get darker quicker when we're out in the sun than a typical light-skinned westerner.

Isaan people tend to be on the dark side because most people from that region are farmers or they spend a lot of time outdoors. If they're inside most of the time then they're not going to look dark.

There's plenty of dark-skinned people in central Laos too, particularly those in the sun such as labourers and Tuk Tuk drivers.

Laotians with light skin have some Chinese or Vietnamese in them, while those who are naturally dark have some khmer blood in them. But then again your skin color comes down to whether you spend most of your day inside or outside.

Laotians in Laos have no common roots to the Siamese, but Isaan people in Thailand have common roots to Laos.

IP Logged

mitch
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #25 - 30th Apr, 2017 at 2:52pm

Either way, I prefer the darker women from southern Laos.  They're very beautiful.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #26 - 1st May, 2017 at 1:43am

mitch wrote on 30th Apr, 2017 at 2:52pm:
Either way, I prefer the darker women from southern Laos.  They're very beautiful.

That's good for you, because they like (I'm assuming you are) white western men, they see it as a sign of moving up in the world. At least the ones that aren't too shy to talk to you.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Bao Evil
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

USA
Awards: 1
Laotian Award
Reply #27 - 2nd May, 2017 at 2:03am

Beer has become a part of Lao culture in this day as age whether people like it or not.

Back in the old days, dancing on the streets of Laos and sharing beers with friends and family and splashing water on each other during Lao New Year celebrations wouldn't be acceptable in Lao society, now it's considered normal.

If you're a tourist visiting Laos and you don't buy your friend a beer when you know they love drinking beer then it will give you a bad reputation.

They obviously need something to drink with their food when you take them out to lunch or dinner. Are you going to tell them "look, pal, you can order any drink you like except a beer?"

And please be aware that when Lao people drink beer, they don't just drink a single glass of beer. They drink many bottles of beer.

Yes, Lao people drink until they fall and can't get up. I hate seeing them like that, but don't want to be the one that rock the boat. I would make every attempt to stay away from the drinking crowds which is majority of them. No wonder why we don't advance in the world like others because most of us too busy drinking, making babies, and having fun. I am all for the fun part, but come on man.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #28 - 2nd May, 2017 at 12:24pm

Bao Evil wrote on 2nd May, 2017 at 2:03am:

Yes, Lao people drink until they fall and can't get up. I hate seeing them like that, but don't want to be the one that rock the boat. I would make every attempt to stay away from the drinking crowds which is majority of them. No wonder why we don't advance in the world like others because most of us too busy drinking, making babies, and having fun. I am all for the fun part, but come on man. 

Applause

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #29 - 4th May, 2017 at 10:39am

Why you want to have a venture in Laos?

Investment? Speculation? or something?

Nearly everything is under the table, not on the table.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79293 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249071 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133264 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69955 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47569 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74033 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57659 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45474 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41067 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34016 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum