Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How will people treat deportees and returnees in Laos? (Read 4889 times)

cathy
Ex Member

How will people treat deportees and returnees in Laos?
3rd Jun, 2018 at 9:10am

Hey everyone,
So recently I read this article on Little Laos on the Prarie
https://littlelaosontheprairie.org/2018/05/15/deportation-and-lao-america-its-ti... in regards to deportation. It's a little alarmist but it got me thinking, especially after I read this article on a Cambodian man who was deported back to Cambodia a couple of years ago. http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_a6e2ff3d-ca26-580d-a35f-d416281a4ecd.html, about how the Lao will treat deportees, assuming they're deported due to past criminal activities? Do people get second chances in Laos?

On a side note, what do they think of Lao people who decide to move back to Laos after living overseas? My mom wants to move back after she retires to be with her family.

Another thing I'm wondering about, how easy or hard is it for a Lao person to work in Thailand legally?

IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: How will people treat deportees and returnees in Laos?
Reply #1 - 4th Jun, 2018 at 8:01am

Quote:
Hey everyone,
So recently I read this article on Little Laos on the Prarie
https://littlelaosontheprairie.org/2018/05/15/deportation-and-lao-america-its-ti... in regards to deportation. It's a little alarmist but it got me thinking, especially after I read this article on a Cambodian man who was deported back to Cambodia a couple of years ago. http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_a6e2ff3d-ca26-580d-a35f-d416281a4ecd.html, about how the Lao will treat deportees, assuming they're deported due to past criminal activities? Do people get second chances in Laos?

On a side note, what do they think of Lao people who decide to move back to Laos after living overseas? My mom wants to move back after she retires to be with her family.

Another thing I'm wondering about, how easy or hard is it for a Lao person to work in Thailand legally?

I don't know if Laos accepted any criminals from Lao-American gangs back into Laos. I saw the documentary about the Cambodian ones, and I'm not sure if the same thing happened in Laos.

I'd expect the government to be suspicious of people who were involved with the old pre-communist Laos but plenty of Lao people who came to the US went back to visit and they seemed fine. There's actually a story about the daughter of one of the main generals from the Royal Lao army who went back to help poor people in Laos, its on YouTube so look it up.

About Lao people working in Thailand, I see a lot of them working there legally but I'm not sure how they got their permits, and a lot working illegally as prostitutes (not anymore since the military government has been cracking down hard.)

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68440 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245626 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130934 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67144 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45863 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72432 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56105 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44261 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39970 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33202 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum