Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 
Send Topic Print
Prostitution in Laos ? Why Lao? (Read 798586 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: Prostitution in Laos ? Why Lao?
Reply #450 - 27th Jun, 2014 at 11:22pm

Idk if this counts as a functional society, but TC I'm sure you're familiar with some of the tribes of Se Kong and Attapeu and that area. Their culture encourages female promiscuity. Also Peter I think you are a good guy, a reasonable guy. Also the Mongolic people of the Altai Republic have a culture that encourages female promiscuity, but I'm not sure if it's still practiced. I know that it caused a lot of diseases to spread back in the day though. Traditional Tibetan society had women practicing polyandry. I have nothing against men who choose nonvirgins but I can't help but sense an aura of cuckold from them.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #451 - 27th Jun, 2014 at 11:27pm

And Peter keep challenging my views it helps me think actually, so I appreciate that. I think American society has become so liberal and PC to the point of it being a mentally sick society. Just look at the frequent school shootings and all the sexually pent up boys and men. America is waging a war on men in the name of PC. There's no more sense of brotherhood and women are overly protected by the laws.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Peter
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Somewhere over the rainbow
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #452 - 27th Jun, 2014 at 11:27pm

TexasCowboy wrote on 27th Jun, 2014 at 10:37pm:
Can you name one functional society in the world or in history that did not frown on female promiscuity?

Perhaps not.  But among heterosexual people, there is no such thing as exclusively "female" promiscuity, so I'm also not sure why you qualify your question the way you do.

Any "society" (or individual) who enjoys male promiscuity also enjoys female promiscuity to the exact same extent.

But I wasn't trying to address societal norms or ideals.  I was just curious about personal preferences, since the previous comments had to do with judgments of persons as "alpha" or "beta."

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #453 - 27th Jun, 2014 at 11:38pm

I have never encountered any ethnic tribes where the women were promiscuous before marriage. If anything, the women I met were so conservative that they would not allow any physical contact with any male outside of their family.

Polyandry in Tibet is not really promiscuity. Polygamy, be it a man with many wives or a woman with many husbands, is not promiscuous.

Do you have any sources for this?

@Peter: I fully agree that the labels "alpha" and "beta" are incorrect and seriously misleading. Although I haven't read much on the subject of human psychology & behavior, it seems that the social organizations and hierarchies established by humans are very different from wolf or dog pack. It is true though that most females prefer a strong and independent man.

Most societies tolerate prostitution to some degree while looking down on women who work in the industry. The institution of prostitution allows men to be promiscuous while discouraging the same sort of behavior in women.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #454 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 1:06am

This is an ethnic minority tribe in Cambodia. They have tribes with similar customs in Laos but I couldn't find a video for the Lao tribes. Other sources include Lao people from the tribes that I know personally.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #455 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 1:35am

Could you provide some personal anecdotes then? I am very curious about this.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #456 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 10:55am

The Ta-Oy tribe used to have a tradition where a boy would take a girl into the forest during the night and they would sleep there. The boy could dry-hump her and grope her and stick his fingers in any orifice he wanted but no sex was allowed. This tradition was common for most of the tribes from Savannakhet and southwards actually. Now they are becoming more Lao-ified and I'm not sure if this tradition still persists. Maybe in isolated mountain areas. The Yahern tribe also encourages girls to experiment with sex much like the Kreung tribe of Cambodia. I know someone from the Oy tribe of Attapeu and he has done the sleeping with the girl tradition himself but he says it has died out because now everyone goes to Lao schools and has adopted Lao customs.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #457 - 28th Jun, 2014 at 11:34pm

I know a few Ta-Oy people and never heard about it. But in Attapeu, I remember there was a bamboo hut with small openings on the walls. They clearly weren't windows and my friend explained that the holes were there so that boys could stick their hands inside and play with the girls.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #458 - 29th Jun, 2014 at 12:15am

Oh really? I've seen those huts with the square holes but I was told it was only a relic of history and they don't do it anymore. Where specifically in Attapeu did you see the huts? Was it in a village? Do you know if the tradition is still alive?

If it is then I'm definitely going there to stick my hand in that hole. I've been brushing up on my Cambodian language skills because I really want to go to that place mentioned in the Youtube clip above to take part in the tradition. I'm not sure if they will let me though, being an outsider.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #459 - 29th Jun, 2014 at 12:22am

Also TC, you seem to have a lot of Lao friends. Being a foreigner and not speaking Lao, I'm curious as to how you accomplished this. How long have you been in Laos?

I've been in some very isolated rural villages and the men will talk to you no problem but often times the women are very shy and won't even talk to outsiders.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #460 - 29th Jun, 2014 at 11:34am

I can speak some Lao and a lot of people in Laos can speak some English. A few of the ethnic youth who live in villages situated along the main highway in the south have impressive English skills. Some of them work in larger towns like Thateng or Pakse where I got to know a few of them.

I saw the hut in a Ta-Oy village 15-20 kilometres north of Thateng.

There is also a heritage site for tourists near Paksong where I saw one of these huts. You have to pay 10,000 kips to enter and the villagers try to sell handicrafts to tourists. I believe the hut belonged to the tribe where the older women have ear gauges.

A few of the Ta-Oy girls have small wooden huts where they sometimes sell Beerlao, cigarettes, and Thai energy drinks. My Kathu friend used to visit a girl late at night and there were no parents around. I sometimes went with him. But he was sad because polygamy is taboo among the Ta-Oy and he already had his first wife.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #461 - 30th Jun, 2014 at 3:34am

Oh yeah I know that place at Pak Song. It's called Pa Suam. That's not even a real village you know, its just a simulation for tourists. The name of the tribe with the earrings is Brao, who are found in the Pu Wong area of Attapeu. In the past they had elephant ivory in their ears but they have all sold it for money apparently. All those villages scattered along the Central Highway and around some spots of Attapeu are very Lao-ified and though they may be tribes they have also adopted a lot of Lao culture. They also have Lao names and they don't name their kids in their language anymore.

You can still find "pure" tribes that don't speak Lao and still have names in their own language around Chalen Xai in Attapeu and on the Lao-Vietnam border all the way from Atapeu up to Hua Phan in several scattered villages. In Savannakhet and Central Khammuan provinces there are many people of the Brao Tribe.

If you go up into the mountains in Khammuan province many kilos outside of Ta Khaek you can find more of these tribes, living completely with nature, and no Lao is spoken in those areas. It's my hobby to find these isolated villages. Wish I could go to Laos next year and discover some more before Lao people go and build schools there.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #462 - 2nd Jul, 2014 at 12:54am

Dry hump? Interesting culture indeed! Grin

Buk Nut wrote on 28th Jun, 2014 at 10:55am:
The Ta-Oy tribe used to have a tradition where a boy would take a girl into the forest during the night and they would sleep there. The boy could dry-hump her and grope her and stick his fingers in any orifice he wanted but no sex was allowed. This tradition was common for most of the tribes from Savannakhet and southwards actually. Now they are becoming more Lao-ified and I'm not sure if this tradition still persists. Maybe in isolated mountain areas. The Yahern tribe also encourages girls to experiment with sex much like the Kreung tribe of Cambodia. I know someone from the Oy tribe of Attapeu and he has done the sleeping with the girl tradition himself but he says it has died out because now everyone goes to Lao schools and has adopted Lao customs.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78210 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248680 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133020 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69734 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47373 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73858 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57490 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45337 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40925 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33922 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum