Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Arranged Marriage (Read 13222 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Arranged Marriage
6th Feb, 2010 at 12:14am

I hear about it a lot, people getting arranged marriage in Laos. Seems like that's still the tradition in Laos.

I was wondering what people think about this, how does it work, what do the parents look for in a mate for their son/daughter that they are trying to marry off. Do Laos youths still agree and abide by this and follow through with the marriage and if so, does it work or even last. Someone is trying to set me up with an arranged marriage but I'm a bit afraid. I keep hearing about these marriage frauds but that won't happen to me cause I'm poor, she's rich, haha. Anyways let me know what's up before I marry a Laos girl, what should I know before I become a prisoner of love.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Arranged Marriage
Reply #1 - 6th Feb, 2010 at 2:28am

People in Laos meet each other in many different ways. It could be through parents, relatives, friends, in a club, school, workplace or on the streets.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how I think, it matters how you think and what will work well for you, and importantly if you really connect and love each other. Some people believe in love at first sight.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #2 - 7th Feb, 2010 at 1:01am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 6th Feb, 2010 at 2:28am:
People in Laos meet each other in many different ways. It could be through parents, relatives, friends, in a club, school, workplace or on the streets.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how I think, it matters how you think and what will work well for you, and importantly if you really connect and love each other. Some people believe in love at first sight.

Very wise and carefully constructed word,You are using. I know he going to find fault on that for sure......let wait and see what he can come up with......

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 7th Feb, 2010 at 3:28am

What's love got to do with it, got to do with it....

I think this is a common thing in Laos cause I've seen many people get married this way. Mostly it's the rich people who do this cause they don't want their son/daughter to marry just anyone. They worry about losing their status and money.

Who pays the dowry and how much is it usually? How much do they spend on an engagement ring and things like the wedding. Is there a place that Laos people prefer to have a wedding and what is the traditional ways and ceremonies. I'm asking since I've never witnessed a wedding in Laos before even though my friend is going to get married there this year. Maybe I will do the same soon, haha.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 7th Feb, 2010 at 10:23am

Buk Hoo Kee, Most people who want to save money have their wedding at home. People with money rent a place and even eat in a restaurant.

The traditional ways and ceremonies will take forever to explain. Basically, there's a sookwan (or baci ceremony as some people call it).

The guy pays the dowry, it doesn't matter how much. It can be 1 cent if the girl and her family is rich and they don't want anything from you.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

macro
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 2:01pm

one thing I know for sure is there is less divorce in organised marriage,
people might frown upon it as old fashion, but think about it:

Our parents surely have more experiance in life, so if both parents agreed on a marrige, it usually means that they think that the couple is compatible, and very often they're right.
If we try to choose ourselves it's just emotion and to satify our hormone's desire.
So I vote for arranged marriage, sadly mine wasn't.

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #6 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 7:40pm

Arrange marriage is great, at least you are guaranteed to have a partner for life. Smiley Also, it is important if you marry Lao women it is best to remain in Laos and live there for the rest of you life.  The reason for this is if you bring them to America or any other countries, their minds and ideas get corrupted by the west and you'll be left brokenhearted in the end.  I'm not saying all Lao women will do this, but, it tends to happen.  Also look at the divorce rate in the west, especially US.  It is in the high percentage people don't take wedding VOWS seriously anymore.  For example, my brother has been married for 10 years with 2 kids, the wife split...screwed him over.  He's pretty much broke.  Ever since then I got fed up with women in America.  I don't plan on marrying anyone here.  It's a disgrace.  Hopefully, one day I'll head back to Laos and spend the rest of my life there.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78868 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248929 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133179 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69876 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47502 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73975 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57598 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45425 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41030 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33989 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum