Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lao woman gives money to two beggars (Read 74208 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Lao woman gives money to two beggars
21st Jul, 2010 at 3:24am

Lao people believe that giving money to people who are genuinely poor is kind, and you will eventually be rewarded during your life and after your death.

laopride879.jpg

laopride880.jpg

laopride881.jpg

laopride882.jpg

laopride883.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

USA Joe
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Re: Lao woman gives money to two beggars
Reply #1 - 21st Jul, 2010 at 11:44pm

Question: would it be proper to ask beggar what they will do with the  money before donating?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 12:37am

Yes you can ask them, but I wouldn't bother. If you intend to give them some loose change, does it really matter what they will do with that?

IP Logged

Baleno
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #3 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 9:04am

I agree with the Administrator, your intention should be to help someone less fortunate than yourself. Fromthe pictures, this couple are certainly deserving of any kindness shown them.

The decision to give or not to give is yours.

Baleno

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 9:29am

Considering your donation will most likely be a small amount, you can tell the beggar that it's a gift for a cup of coffee. Of if they are children, you can say it's for some lollies. This is a more polite way to communicate with them rather than asking them what they plan to do with the money. Just my advice.

Elderly beggars in Laos usually say a few words to wish you good health and happiness after they receive your donation. If you are a foreigner, they may not say anything due to their lack of English skills.

IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 8:21pm

Baleno wrote on 22nd Jul, 2010 at 9:04am:
I agree with the Administrator, your intention should be to help someone less fortunate than yourself. Fromthe pictures, this couple are certainly deserving of any kindness shown them.

The decision to give or not to give is yours.

Baleno

Wow what a concept.... my decision is mine... to give or not. Should I thank you for your permission. Haha. Go back and re-read my question, if asking would be proper. The issue was NOT about giving.

Beggars in Laos culture may still feel ashamed about resorting to begging... so the beggars would shy away from verbal interaction. However, in the USA, beggars are a bit more aggressive. Often time these alcoholic beggars will be harassing a person to give to them. And its not even small amount they require... anything less than $1US they will not accept. Thus it's wise to see where my pocket change will be funding. Understand now?

Admin, advice taken. Thanks.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 11:34pm

That's interesting about the United States. A donation of $1 US is considered alot of money in Laos. The average person usually donates 1,000 kips (8 US cents) to a beggar, and it's appreciated.

Beggars don't force or harass in Laos, they usually just sit at a location with a bowl of some sort and it's up to the public if they want to help them.

I think beggars tend to feel more comfortable having a conversation with locals than foreigners. Sometimes I talk to them on the streets, like asking what village they came from, how they got here, and I get a response.

IP Logged

macro
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #7 - 23rd Jul, 2010 at 12:03pm

Some deserved to be helped most don't, better donate to orphanage or red cross. Complicated issue.

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #8 - 23rd Jul, 2010 at 4:12pm

In Laos, it's not as bad at all.  Panhandlers there actually use their money for food unlike the US.  In the US from my experiences, are very nit picky about how much you give them or the form of currency.  They even lie to your face to gain sympathy.  I remember giving this homeless individual a zip lock bag full of pennies worth $4-5.  What did this ungrateful prick do? he didn't want the money and walked off.   Another case of mine,  instead of handling out money, I took this person to a restaurant to buy food, I left the money on the counter for the cashier after the order...guess what happened?  The guy grabbed the money and ran off. LOL  

Lao panhandlers are totally opposite, they are true to their word on how they use the money when given to them.  I usually tell him/her, please use it only for food and nothing else that could effect your health.  So, it's not that bad at all.

I think India is the worse case scenario.  There are infinite number of children that will chase after you when you give change to one. It's really insane. LOL  

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 24th Jul, 2010 at 1:08am

"Khon Khaek" are like a flock of birds and a swarm of ants.

There's so many poor people in India, but khaek India and khaek Pakistan come to Laos to live a rich life.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #10 - 1st May, 2011 at 7:52am

What a sad sight. Cry

They also look malnourished. Cry

Hey Admin', do you still see these two gentlemen around?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #11 - 1st May, 2011 at 5:25pm

I hope Lao government have good social program to help poor people in the future. When I visited Laos I'll be very generous to these beggars.
Wink Shocked

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 2nd May, 2011 at 7:09am

I've never seen the two gentlemen before, our photographer took the shots.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #13 - 2nd May, 2011 at 10:56pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 2nd May, 2011 at 7:09am:
I've never seen the two gentlemen before, our photographer took the shots.

How often do you give to charity?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 3rd May, 2011 at 1:11am

Quite often. When I see someone begging on the streets, it makes me feel sorry for them and it doesn't hurt to give them 2,000 kip (US 25 cents).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78260 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248699 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133029 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69741 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47380 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73864 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57503 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45342 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40928 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33924 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum