Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Judy Garland accidentally tripped during filming (Read 52361 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Judy Garland accidentally tripped during filming
22nd Nov, 2011 at 11:12am

The Wizard of Oz beauty, Judy Garland accidentally tripped over during filming. It happened when she (Dorothy) and her companions came out of the poppy fields after it had snowed. Luckily she was holding onto the Tin Man and Lion, otherwise she could have fell over and maybe hurt herself. MGM decided not to reshoot the scene, even though the scene clearly shows Dorothy bending forward after stepping into a hole in the ground (pictures below).

There was a similar incident when Lion was singing while they waited outside the Wizard's palace. During this scene, Dorothy nearly tripped from the carpet/rug which is quite hilarious too.

Judy Garland tripped over during the filming of The Wizard of Oz

« Last Edit: 22nd Nov, 2011 at 4:00pm by Admin Saovaluck »  
View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Judy Garland accidentally tripped during filming
Reply #1 - 1st Nov, 2012 at 7:19am

Judy Garland as Dorothy in the Poppy Field

Rare behind-the-scenes photo of Judy Garland as Dorothy and her three traveling companions listening to director Victor Fleming giving instructions in the Poppy Field scene, while a stagehand holds her dog Toto.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #2 - 4th Apr, 2013 at 12:46pm

Rare behind-the-scenes photo of Judy Garland in the Poppy Field  
Please click on image to view a larger version

A very rare behind-the-scenes photo of Judy Garland as Dorothy with her eyes open and preparing to sleep in the Poppy Field scene.

Judy Garland as Dorothy sleeping in the Poppy Field

Lights, Camera, Action! The Wicked Witch casts a magic spell which causes Judy Garland as Dorothy to fall asleep in the Poppy Field.

Judy Garland as Dorothy sleeping in the Poppy Field

The snow used was not real but artificial snow sprayed with pure chrysotile asbestos fibers. These substances are hazardous to health because once breathed in, they may get trapped in the lungs.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 4th Apr, 2013 at 8:40pm

Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 5th Apr, 2013 at 7:30am

Judy Garland as Dorothy gets her left foot caught in the rug, and she lifted her right foot high to avoid tripping.

Judy Garland as Dorothy gets her foot caught in the rug

Judy Garland as Dorothy gets her foot caught in the rug

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #5 - 5th Apr, 2013 at 8:11pm

Laugh

How many times have you seen the OZ? I bet you probably studied the screenplay (dialogue and action scripts)  in detailed of it's entirety.  Personally I think you are a
freak
  Laugh Laugh to be so high on Judy Garland.  By the way, I did not suggested that in a bad way.
Just curious.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 6th Apr, 2013 at 5:27am

I've watched The Wizard of Oz many, many times. It's difficult to give an estimate in figures.

When I was young, I watched The Wizard of Oz for entertainment purposes but nowadays I watch it to specifically study all the details, you are right. I know nearly everything about movie, things like the actor's lines, the mistakes that are not clear to the naked eye, how they produced each scene such as the snow and tornado.

I even know what Judy Garland was doing when she was not filming, and the exact day they filmed each scene. For example the Haunted Forest was filmed on 6th of January, 1939. I enjoy studying the history of Judy Garland, she is the ultimate icon.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #7 - 6th Apr, 2013 at 6:50pm

Wow..that's amazing and kudos to you.  If you love what you like doing hey why not put all your heart and soul into it right? 

The OZ movie was probably one of the most inspiring idea for folks to look up to when the country was still experiencing the Great Depression the 1920's and 1930's. Just like you stated previously, the Oz movie will always be part of Americana.

Perhaps you can create a 'Wizard of Oz' festival in Vientaine in the near future?   

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 6th Apr, 2013 at 10:31pm

That idea came across my mind but then I realise that no one in Laos gives a hoot about The Wizard of Oz movie, let alone a Wizard of Oz festival.

It's not feasible and it's not going to get local support. If you want to create a festival in Laos, it has to be Lao-related.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 7th Apr, 2013 at 7:47pm

Very true.  Only die-hard Judy Garland fans will come to the event.  Is it fair to say that you are the only one in Vientaine that's into Judy Garland?  Maybe more out there? Just being curious.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 8th Apr, 2013 at 5:42am

I know a few people who are into Judy Garland. My mum, who is Lao, also likes her.

A ceremony is probably more appropriate than a festival. Even though Judy Garland wasn't a Buddhist, you can still organise a Buddhist ceremony in memory of her.

In Lao culture, the belief is that your offerings such as gifts, money and foods to the monks are passed to the departed one. The ceremony doesn't have to be dedicated to one person, but also to others whom you really care about.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #11 - 8th Apr, 2013 at 12:36pm

Holy!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #12 - 9th Apr, 2013 at 4:37am

Holy what?  Holy is an adjective.

Perhaps holy water Roll Eyes?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #13 - 9th Apr, 2013 at 4:45am

As far as I can recalled I may have involved two times Smiley in this Buddhist ceremony when I was much younger.  So the gift offerings would be donated to the Temple or lesser individuals in Judy Garland's honour?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 9th Apr, 2013 at 6:38am

Your offerings goes towards the temple in Judy Garland's honour.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68665 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245701 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130988 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67190 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45902 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72465 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56136 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44288 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40002 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33223 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum