Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exercise, sports better than alcohol for warmth (Read 24203 times)

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Exercise, sports better than alcohol for warmth
28th Dec, 2013 at 1:39am

People are advised to do regular exercise and eat nutritious food rather than deciding to drink alcohol to keep warm when the weather turns cooler.

Head of the Vientiane Public Health Department's Food and Drug Division Dr Somchine Singharaj said he would not advise drinking alcohol to keep warm as is the case in some European countries where people drink various forms of alcohol in the winter.

“It is true that drinking alcohol makes you feel warm. But you should remember that alcohol also has negative impacts on your health,” he said.

Dr Somchine said alcohol affects the central nervous system and works as a depressant, resulting in a decrease in activity, anxiety, tension, and inhibitions.

“Even a few drinks can result in behavioural changes, a slowing in motor performance, and a decrease in the ability to think clearly. Concentration and judgment can also become impaired.”

A change in physical or mental health caused by alcohol marks the start of alcoholism. Drinking extreme amounts of alcohol affects the body in many ways.

Vitamins are not absorbed properly, which can lead to nutritional deficiencies. Alcoholics also suffer from liver disease, which can progress to cirrhosis while the heart may also be damaged.

According to a doctor from the Ministry of Health, “A person who has an alcoholic parent is more likely to become an alcoholic than a person without alcoholism in the immediate family.”

The doctor said alcoholism is a type of drug addiction, with both physical and psychological dependencies.

“Alcohol affects the central nervous system and works as a depressant, resulting in a decrease of activity, anxiety, tension, and inhibitions,” she said.

Alco holism is divided into two categories, dependence and abuse. People with alcohol dependence, the most severe form of alcoholism, rely on alcohol and spend much of their time drinking or obtaining it.

Alcohol abusers have less of a problem and are considered "problem drinkers". This means they take risks with their health because they drink large amounts regularly, although maybe not every da y.

Dr Somchine advised people to wear thick clothing, drink more warm water, bathe with warm water and eat warm, cooked nutritious food to keep healthy.

Doing regular exercise and playing sports is the best medicine to fight against all diseases and to keep yourself warm, he said.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Exercise, sports better than alcohol for warmth
Reply #1 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 1:41am

Lemonades

Drinking Beer

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 4:19am

Beef Cake wrote on 28th Dec, 2013 at 1:39am:
It is true that drinking alcohol makes you feel warm.

Everyone would be bringing an esky full of beer to the snow if this was the case.

Also it's difficult to "eat nutritious food" if you live in the countryside of Laos.

Healthy meals are not readily available to many poor Laotians so perhaps this doctor can do something beneficial and provide, or start up a healthy food aid to my fellow struggling Laotians.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #3 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 10:37am

All folks in the coutnry side have plots of land eh? If so, they can grow plants and raise protein organically.  This woulb be the healthiest food on Earth.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 11:29am

His advise for the well to do city folks. The counrty folks should just gather alot of fire wood. Heck i bet its a problem
just finding food.Cook healthy food.lol

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #5 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 1:42pm

Many children in the countryside grow up malnourished.

Yes, they have land for plants and animals, but they sell them leaving little for the family.

It's easy for the doctor to follow his own advice because he has money. He can pop into a gym if he wants to. A lot of people in rural areas of Laos need to find food on the table before they can think about sports and exercise.

People should limit or reduce their alcohol intake for social events, but they don't necessarily need to stop drinking altogether.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #6 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 2:03pm

Some years ago, as far as I know, nearly all rural Laotians had a small plot or land with land ownership permit. More investments means less land for own use for vegetables and meat sources.

It is not malnutrition, it is nutrition unbalanced diet.  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #7 - 29th Dec, 2013 at 8:25pm

How many hectares per household are permiited?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Rimbach35
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #8 - 13th Sep, 2017 at 1:13pm

I had alcohol and drug addictions which became hard for me. I quit the job and then decided to get treatment at virginia opiate addiction treatment and alcohol rehab center. After getting successful treatment now I regularly exercise and mediate.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Gorgias
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 16th Sep, 2017 at 9:11am

I think almost everyone in this world knows that regular exercise is good for our health.

However, a lot of people get burnt out and keep getting a message from our brain, "OMG, what are you doing? You shouldn't waste your precious energy like that !!"

Dragging yourself into the gym is not the easiest thing to do, even though we KNOW that it will feel great after a workout and a shower.

Go figure.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #10 - 17th Sep, 2017 at 1:25am

Rimbach35 wrote on 13th Sep, 2017 at 1:13pm:
I had alcohol and drug addictions which became hard for me. I quit the job and then decided to get treatment at virginia opiate addiction treatment and alcohol rehab center. After getting successful treatment now I regularly exercise and mediate.

Spam. someone report him

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68389 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245614 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130923 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67127 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45855 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72425 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56099 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44256 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39965 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33198 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum