Send Topic Print
Hmong New year (Read 9863 times)

Conquer
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Hmong New year
21st Jul, 2018 at 12:30pm

I wanted to have some info about Hmong New year. How many days is celebrated? Are there many people attending? Which regions in Laos is practiced?
Thanks

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Hmong New year
Reply #1 - 21st Jul, 2018 at 4:51pm

I'm Lao and unfortunately I have no idea how the Hmongs celebrate their New Year.

Most Hmong people live in northern Laos so this is where they practice their religion.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Conquer
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #2 - 21st Jul, 2018 at 7:07pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 21st Jul, 2018 at 4:51pm:
I'm Lao and unfortunately I have no idea how the Hmongs celebrate their New Year.

Most Hmong people live in northern Laos so this is where they practice their religion.

Ok sorry. As you can see I dont know that much about culture in Laos Smiley. I though because Hmong lives in Laos they are similar to Lao people. But looks like they are different.  Lips Sealed

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 22nd Jul, 2018 at 2:45am

That's okay, I hope someone can give you the information you need.

Hmong people live in Laos, but they also live in the northern regions of Thailand and Vietnam. There are many differences between Hmong people and Lao people.

Our culture is not the same and we don't speak the same language because they are not natives of Laos but they came from southern China to settle here, so we call them ethnic minorities and not indigenous people of Laos.

IP Logged

Conquer
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #4 - 22nd Jul, 2018 at 9:52am

One off topic question. I did some reading regarding the demographics in Laos. Looks like there is other minority groups like Khmu, Phu etc. Where does Lao people live? In Central and south part of Laos? Do Lao people live lets say in North where Khmu and Hmong people live (I mean is there mixture of ethnicity in those parts)? Or not that much?
Thanks

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 22nd Jul, 2018 at 2:45am:
That's okay, I hope someone can give you the information you need.

Hmong people live in Laos, but they also live in the northern regions of Thailand and Vietnam. There are many differences between Hmong people and Lao people.

Our culture is not the same and we don't speak the same language because they are not natives of Laos but they came from southern China to settle here, so we call them ethnic minorities and not indigenous people of Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 22nd Jul, 2018 at 2:24pm

Yes, there's a lot of smaller minority groups in Laos, but the Hmong population is bigger of the minority groups.

The minority groups are more related to the Chinese than Lao people living in the lower parts of the country.

Lao people live in the north of Laos too, but as you venture into the deep north, there are more ethnic minorities.

IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #6 - 23rd Jul, 2018 at 10:56am

Well the minorities in the north would be related to minority groups found in Yunnan, China and near the Himalayas. The minorities from Southern Laos are similar to the indigenous people of Cambodia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 23rd Jul, 2018 at 3:31pm

I believe some people from southern Laos have Cambodian blood because this region of Laos is very close to Cambodia.

Also southern Lao people have very dark skin like the average Cambodian.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68492 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245648 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130952 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67156 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45873 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72440 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56113 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44268 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39984 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33209 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum