Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Beer is a way of life in Laos (Read 69661 times)

USA Joe
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Re: Beer is a way of life in Laos
Reply #15 - 11th Aug, 2010 at 5:25pm

question: is there a law stating how old a person must be to drink beer?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #16 - 11th Aug, 2010 at 6:38pm

USA Joe wrote on 11th Aug, 2010 at 5:25pm:
question: is there a law stating how old a person must be to drink beer?

Good question. I'm not sure in Laos, but most young kids don't drink because they dont have lot of money. If they got money they probably spend on something else. Like snack and candy.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #17 - 11th Aug, 2010 at 11:03pm

USA Joe, There is no minimum drinking age, or purchase age in Laos, so anyone can legally drink or be in possession of alcohol.

But as Lao Lan Xang has mentioned, you wouldn't find many Lao kids drinking since they have no money, and also Lao parents like to supervise and control their kids.

Lao people are usually sensible with their drinking, if they get drunk they'll keep to themselves like the lady dancing alone on the first page. It's rare to see any alcohol-fuelled violence, and that's the beauty of this country.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #18 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 3:08am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Aug, 2010 at 11:03pm:
USA Joe, There is no minimum drinking age, or purchase age in Laos, so anyone can legally drink or be in possession of alcohol.

But as Lao Lan Xang has mentioned, you wouldn't find many Lao kids drinking since they have no money, and also Lao parents like to supervise and control their kids.

Lao people are usually sensible with their drinking, if they get drunk they'll keep to themselves like the lady dancing alone on the first page. It's rare to see any alcohol-fuelled violence, and that's the beauty of this country.

Laos culture is very conservative. Parent teach their children with morals and to respect other very well. I grew up poor in Laos. When I have money at age 11 yrs old. The first think I think about is buying some snack, and some candy. Not ciggerret or beer. But few do drink and smoke.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #19 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 3:11am

But the government should regulate and let people buy alcohol, and smoke at 18 yrs or older.

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #20 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 3:30am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Aug, 2010 at 11:03pm:

good theory. but. only. a matter of time.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #21 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 4:07am

Lao Lan Xang, Government regulation won't stop anything, teenagers will still buy alcohol and cigarettes if they really want to. And businesses will provide them because it's about profit.

Just like the new compulsory helmet law. Many people do not care about it, and still continue to ride their motorbikes without a helmet.

IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #22 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 7:23am

Quote:
Just like the new compulsory helmet law. Many people do not care about it, and still continue to ride their motorbikes without a helmet.

well i dont really care if people refuse to wear helmet. its their head getting split open when they crash.

i do get annoyed when a drunk teen/kid causes an accident with his/her motobike because there is no law against under-age drinking

and spare me the preach about how lao family will regulate their kids not to drink, that they are responsible and good little boy and girl who only wants candy and soda pop.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #23 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 8:51am

USA Joe, Foreigners are always at fault in a vehicle accident in Laos, so it doesn't matter if a drunken kid or elderly person gave you a few broken bones, you will need to pay up.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #24 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 3:21pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Aug, 2010 at 8:51am:
USA Joe, Foreigners are always at fault in a vehicle accident in Laos, so it doesn't matter if a drunken kid or elderly person gave you a few broken bones, you will need to pay up.

If Lao law favorite the native. That mean don't drive and take taxi instead. If you're tourist or foreigner. Less headaches and safer. Traffic law and the way people drive is different in western country cause most people follow the law here, and police will inforce the law.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #25 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 3:25pm

Thank for the lookout. I didn't know they alway blame foreigners.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #26 - 12th Aug, 2010 at 11:39pm

Even those who don't drink can drive dangerously because vehicles don't travel in an orderly fashion in Laos, they are all over the place.

So yes, if you're a foreigner then it's wise to take a taxi, bus or jumbo.
As a passenger, you're not responsible in accidents.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #27 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 1:55am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Aug, 2010 at 11:39pm:
Even those who don't drink can drive dangerously because vehicles don't travel in an orderly fashion in Laos, they are all over the place.

So yes, if you're a foreigner then it's wise to take a taxi, bus or jumbo.
As a passenger, you're not responsible in accidents.

I also heard about that, driving can be dangerous in Asia, in US too. Not just in Laos, but also in Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #28 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 3:48am

Yes, although the traffic conditions in Laos is not as bad as Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia because our cities are alot smaller.

IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #29 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 4:47am

i never said i would be driving. my statement was from an observer's point of view... of seeing what lao people do to other lao people.

as a matter of fact, as a foreigner, i know not to get too physically evolved with the native. i dont even buy things... i give the money to my native friend to buy so i dont get cheated. i know i have no rights in lao.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14173 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93469 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296651 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143072 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 78975 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54964 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80813 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63744 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50454 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45333 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum