Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Beer is a way of life in Laos (Read 69659 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Beer is a way of life in Laos
Reply #30 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 5:25am

USA Joe, If an accident involved drunken Lao youths then their age comes into play, whether they are legal to ride/drive. Then they investigate who caused the accident.

In a worst case scenario, that is if some gets killed as a result of a road accident, the rider/driver of the other vehicle must spend some time in jail by law, even if he/she didn't cause the accident.  

Why don't you buy things? Even if they cheat you for 10 cents over the actual price, there's no harm done.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

USA Joe
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #31 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 6:24am

Quote:
Why don't you buy things? Even if they cheat you for 10 cents over the actual price, there's no harm done.

Lol. Only in lao will people cheat you and tell you there is no harm in doing it. That is too funny.

hello.... why not just NOT cheat me in first place? is it too hard to be fair to me.

10 cents or $10 cheating is cheating. no honor in both. please dont try to justify  the cheating. there is none. other than i am a foreigner.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #32 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 6:45am

USA Joe, The vendor cheats on everyone, including the locals. They alway try to make as much profit as they can, so you have to bargain. That's part of life in Laos.

If you and I bought the same item, you may have got it at a cheaper price because you negotiated with them better than I did.

IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #33 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 7:13am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Aug, 2010 at 6:45am:
USA Joe, The vendor cheats on everyone, including the locals. They alway try to make as much profit as they can, so you have to bargain. That's part of life in Laos.

If you and I bought the same item, you may have got it at a cheaper price because you negotiated with them better than I did.

and you telling me this is fair? u may accept it. i wont. i will find ways to keep it fair. even if i just dont buy at all.

this is why merchants dont display a price list in public. so primitive. stay in the lost age.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #34 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 8:32am

USA Joe, Fair or not fair is not the issue. Their product/service, they have the right to sell it for any price they wish.

Laos is not everyone's cup of tea. If Laos seems so primitive then maybe you need to rule it out as your next travel destination.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #35 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 1:49pm

That's how business work. Make as much profits as you can. In Laos you have to negotiate the price and don't let people know you are tourist. Same problem in Thailand and Cambodia." Life is not fair".

USA Joe wrote on 13th Aug, 2010 at 7:13am:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Aug, 2010 at 6:45am:

and you telling me this is fair? u may accept it. i wont. i will find ways to keep it fair. even if i just dont buy at all.

this is why merchants dont display a price list in public. so primitive. stay in the lost age.

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #36 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 5:06pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Aug, 2010 at 8:32am:
USA Joe, Fair or not fair is not the issue. Their product/service, they have the right to sell it for any price they wish.

Laos is not everyone's cup of tea. If Laos seems so primitive then maybe you need to rule it out as your next travel destination.

actually i already establish fact that it is their right to sell their items. just as it is mine to buy or not. that was posted 3 messages above, u may have missed it.

but its crazy and unfair for them to change price for different person.
that just proves the notion that there is no equality for everyone. primitive. but true.

dont worry. i wont let these way of life interrupt my visit to lao. i'm looking forward to time traveling to 1950 usa (back when usa was unfair) because that is modern lao Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #37 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 5:53pm

Quote:
]That's how business work.
wrong. that is how primitive business work. just like the bartering system. no way any civilized nation can tolerate that. u know that will never be condone in usa nowadays.
Quote:
Make as much profits as you can.
true but not at expense of being unfair. there should be laws or posted price for everyone. not just for people who u like or dont like.

Quote:
In Laos you have to negotiate the price and don't let people know you are tourist. Same problem in Thailand and Cambodia." Life is not fair".

yup, i have my Buddhist monk costume ready Cheesy

USA-Joe-monk.jpg (126 KB | )
USA-Joe-monk.jpg
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #38 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 10:06pm

USA Joe. Thailand are civilized, and developed but they are worse with pricing and riping off farang tourist. Becareful they might charge you extra dollars or couple quarter in Laos.
Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #39 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 10:18pm

USA Joe. In US you pay what ever they tell you, no negotiating on prices that mean if they want to over charge you or rips you off you are stuck and have to pay up.
Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #40 - 13th Aug, 2010 at 11:11pm

Lao Lan Xang, You have a good point regarding the pricing in Thailand and the US.  

USA Joe, I didn't miss anything. I am well aware of your rights as a buyer, but please don't go walking away believing that they cheated on you due to being a foreigner because we are all in the same boat, and it comes down to how well you negotiate. Some places in Laos have fixed prices, such as a small supermarket.

I'm sure that if I visited the USA, certain situations will seem crazy and unfair to me. It's called "culture shock", and that's what you will be experiencing in Laos.

And by the way, I hope that picture of you in a Buddhist monk robe is just a rehearsal because beard and earrings are not allowed.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #41 - 14th Aug, 2010 at 1:30am

You have to be street smart. Its doesn't matter where you are in the world. There are some people who will try to rips you off if they can. There's bad apple in every tree.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #42 - 16th Aug, 2010 at 5:46pm

llX wrote on 13th Aug, 2010 at 10:18pm:
USA Joe. In US you pay what ever they tell you, no negotiating on prices that mean if they want to over charge you or rips you off you are stuck and have to pay up.
Grin

i rather get charged and ripped off the same as the next person. it's call fair treatment to everyone. everyone gets the same price regardless of age/sex/race/beauty.

and u are wrong:  i can agree to pay or not and leave. never forced to buy.

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #43 - 16th Aug, 2010 at 5:51pm

Quote:
And by the way, I hope that picture of you in a Buddhist monk robe is just a rehearsal because beard and earrings are not allowed.

but all the cool monks on tv have beards

Bruce-Brows.JPG (24 KB | )
Bruce-Brows.JPG
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #44 - 17th Aug, 2010 at 12:34am

USA Joe, But not monks in Laos.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14168 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93466 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296649 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143071 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 78974 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54962 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80812 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63743 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50453 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45332 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum