Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Looking for traditional Lao/Hmong girl for marriage (Read 107066 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Looking for traditional Lao/Hmong girl for marriage
19th Jan, 2014 at 1:03pm

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, so let me introduce myself. I'm 21 years old, born in America, but my mom is Lao, father is American. I can speak Lao, and I can also read and write it.

I want to go to Laos to get a traditional country girl wife, not a city type girl like the ones shown in the other threads.

I like Hmong girls especially because I think they are very beautiful. I've heard that Hmong girls are very good wives.

Does Lao law allow for foreigners to get married to Hmong girls? Are the laws different regarding Lao girls and Hmong girls? I also have Thai citizenship in addition to U.S. citizenship so I could take her across the border to Thailand and marry her there. I have my own place in Thailand where we could live together.

Can most Hmong girls speak Lao? I don't really speak Hmong but I am going to learn the language soon. If I can't get a Hmong girl then I will just get a regular Lao girl.

So anyways, about the paperwork, I can fill it out myself and I will not need an interpreter because I can read Lao..Lucky me..How hard do you think it will be to get a wife in Laos?

If I can't do that paperwork can I just take her across the border to Thailand and marry her there??

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Looking for traditional Lao/Hmong girl for marriage
Reply #1 - 19th Jan, 2014 at 2:44pm

Holy amazing!

Here the legitimate marriage age is 22 for man.

The average marriage age is 27 for man.

You are toooooooooooo young! Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #2 - 19th Jan, 2014 at 3:58pm

You're kidding right ?  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #3 - 20th Jan, 2014 at 12:23am

No, why would you think I am kidding?

I'm not planning to get married right now. Maybe when I am 25 years old. But I want a traditional girl, not a city girl like the girls in the pictures posted on these forums.

I don't like Hi-So girls, they seem to be snobbish.

Why does everyone think Hi-So girls are the best?

It's the traditional girls that make the best wives.

Anyways, most Lao people get married very young in case you haven't noticed..

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #4 - 20th Jan, 2014 at 3:56pm

I have to agree with ya though.I think hmong girl are pretty cute.

View Profile  
IP Logged

CDN Lao lover
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Live! Laugh! Love! Laos

Luang Prabang, Lao
Reply #5 - 25th Jan, 2014 at 12:47pm

If you're looking for a traditional Hmong/Lao wife why don't you come work/volunteer in the country for a while. That way you'll actually get to know someone.

Reading what you've written it sounds like all you want is a cook and a maid and it is cheaper to hire one of each of those than to get married.

There's a 12-step process to a foreigner marrying a Lao National, whether Hmong, Lao or any other ethnic group. You have to visit about 10 different departments with the correct paperwork. I know, I married one and it took 15 months for the whole process from the engagement party (where you ask the parents to marry and need the village chief's approval) to the actual receipt of the marriage approval.

My wife is in her late thirties and was never married. She wanted to do the whole process herself since dealing with government bureaucracy is what she does. You can pay a facilitator who will cost from $1500-$4000 (last I heard) but it will still take at least 12 months.

My wife and I were married in Canada first (July 2012) and didn't get the Lao Government approval until April 2013). Technically we were married in every country in the world except for the one where we live, Laos. It is illegal to cohabit when not married with fines up to $5000 if the police catch you.

If just want to find a wife, live in Thailand and take her away from her family than getting the Government's approval would not be necessary. If you know Hmong/Lao culture, family is very important. You will come to visit and you won't be able to "stay" (sleep together) under the same roof while you are here. The police, especially in the villages, know exactly what's happening at all times. One day, on one of these visits, your wife won't be able to leave the country, that is, if you've even been able to get her a passport since that requires the village chiefs approval.

Come to Lao and fall in love. Then go through the whole process. It will be worth it in the end.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #6 - 25th Jan, 2014 at 4:43pm

Holy crap that's  alot of work.Just go to Vegas.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #7 - 25th Jan, 2014 at 11:05pm

Thanks you for the reply CDN Lao lover. I am not looking for just a cook/maid and I'm sorry that it seemed that way.
What I mean is that I don't want a fake westernized Lao city girl that uses Twitter/Facebook and listens to stuff like Justin Bieber.

There's plenty of that in the West so why would I go halfway across the world just to get the same thing I could get at home but requiring more effort and money?  What I meant is that I want a REAL Lao/Hmong girl.

Of course I don't plan to separate her from her family, as I'm not a cruel guy. When I said the thing about taking her across the border that was only a last resort option in case nothing else worked out for us, not my primary goal.

Anyways, I really appreciate your response because it helped me out. I don't plan to get married for a long time anyways, because I'm still doing vocational training and I am currently 21 years old. I tried college and felt it wasn't for me so now I'm working on becoming a tradesman. But my dream has always been to marry a traditional SE Asian girl.

As for the comment about Vegas, I'd rather not. If I'm going to spend a lot of money and go to the other side of the world I want someone special that I cannot get in America. The thing I love about Southeast Asian girls is their unique culture and ways of life which differs from people in the West. Most of the urbanized new generation girls are not much different from westerners in their habits these days, that is why I want to make 100% sure that I am getting a REAL Hmong/Lao girl and not an impostor.
« Last Edit: 26th Jan, 2014 at 7:05am by Buk Nut »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #8 - 25th Jan, 2014 at 11:15pm

Also sorry for the horrible spelling. I'm using  Samsung phone with a  very tiny keypad.

I  already knew about the law barring foreigners from sleeping with Lao nationals. I considered the fact that it would be impossible to go back and visit her folks if I marry her outside Laos but it was just a last resort type of thought. How does one get work/volunteer in Laos if I may ask? I'm going to Laos this summer for just 2 months to visit. Maybe we could meet up. (If not then I'm OK with that too I just want to see most of the country)
« Last Edit: 26th Jan, 2014 at 7:07am by Buk Nut »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

CDN Lao lover
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Live! Laugh! Love! Laos

Luang Prabang, Lao
Reply #9 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 8:54am

There are many NGOs in the country that accept interns. Here in Luang Prabang you can volunteer to teach English with Pencils of Promise or, if you're in trade school, there may be other groups that could use your experience. There are normally quite a few job openings for foreigners. Easier finding one when you are here.

I understand where you're coming from with the "city" girl attitude. You might see more of that in Vientiane but less so in Savannakhet, Pakse, and even here in Luang Prabang. Depending on your future plans (where you might want to settle) it could be a major culture shock marrying a village girl (for both of you).

My wife had spent 1 year in America on an internship and worked most of her life with foreigners. I say she's more western than Asian, but has retained the Asian characteristics you are looking for.

My wife works closely with the Hmong community throughout Lao and I haven't seen or heard much if they marry outside their community.

No problem meeting up when you come to visit. Just send me a note.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #10 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 9:46am

The village chief is very important. pay him lots of visits with tons of fancy stuff. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #11 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:30am

CDN Lao lover wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 8:54am:
There are many NGOs in the country that accept interns. Here in Luang Prabang you can volunteer to teach English with Pencils of Promise or, if you're in trade school, there may be other groups that could use your experience. There are normally quite a few job openings for foreigners. Easier finding one when you are here.

I understand where you're coming from with the "city" girl attitude. You might see more of that in Vientiane but less so in Savannakhet, Pakse, and even here in Luang Prabang. Depending on your future plans (where you might want to settle) it could be a major culture shock marrying a village girl (for both of you).

My wife had spent 1 year in America on an internship and worked most of her life with foreigners. I say she's more western than Asian, but has retained the Asian characteristics you are looking for.

My wife works closely with the Hmong community throughout Lao and I haven't seen or heard much if they marry outside their community.

Hmm your wife spent 1 yrs in the western world and she more western.I spent my entire life here and i'm more proud
being Asian. Dude you smoking crack over there ?

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #12 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:35am

Why you are proud of be Asian? Born being Asian, then being Asian. Born being black, being black. Just let it be.

I am very proud I am still alive!!!
I am very sad I am still alive!!!

That is life.  Laugh

ba dac wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:30am:

Hmm your wife spent 1 yrs in the western world and she more western.I spent my entire life here and i'm more proud

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #13 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:42am

peterpan wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:35am:
Why you are proud of be Asian? Born being Asian, then being Asian. Born being black, being black. Just let it be.

That is life.  Laugh

Grin  shut up peter you know what i mean.Yes i'm happy i'm
still breathing. I need a vacation too . Dammit

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #14 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:48am

Why not talk to your boss saying you will have a vacation. Then, enjoy your bachelorship in Vientiane fancy nightclub?

No vacation, it is very sad to live.  Laugh

ba dac wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:42am:
peterpan wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:35am:

That is life.  Laugh

Grin  shut up peter you know what i mean.Yes i'm happy i'm
still breathing. I need a vacation too . Dammit

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68440 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245626 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130934 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67144 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45863 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72432 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56105 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44261 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39970 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33202 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum