Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Looking for traditional Lao/Hmong girl for marriage (Read 107062 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: Looking for traditional Lao/Hmong girl for marriage
Reply #15 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:53am

If I marry a Hmong girl I will definitely have BAD culture shock because I am not Hmong, I don't really speak Hmong (I learned a couple phrases) and I don't know what's appropriate to do in Hmong culture. One possible way to get around this would be to live with the Hmong people for several years and learn about their way of life. If they don't marry outside their own race, then that is very good on them for wanting to preserve their culture and legacy. I'm sure if I spoke their language I would be able to impress them and they might accept me as one of their own. Don't expect this with Thais, though. They will always call you "farang" this "farang" that no matter how much Thai you can speak, read or write.

If I marry a regular Lao girl I will not experience culture shock to the same degree. I might experience a little, but I have lived with Lao people before for several years and I can understand them better. I understand most Lao customs, though definitely not all. I guess I would have some "baby shocks" to deal with if I married a Lao girl.

Even though Thais seem very westernized/modernized their culture still remains, and anyone marrying them who is not familiar with Thai culture will also experience culture shock. I think this reigns true for all Asians, whether it be Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Lao or Hmong.

The tricky part is that what is acceptable to one group could be considered offensive to the next, so you have to change your act depending on who you talk to. Overall, it's a great learning experience to live with other cultures.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #16 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:58am

So true,Money talk if you want to belong with the Thai $$$$.
jk . I dunno why you wanna get marry.Heck not me .Just gonna travel for a bit.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #17 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 12:10pm

It is true. Thai society is a very materialistic society. Anyways, I don't want to get married right now, maybe when I'm 25-30. I just wanted to ask this question because I'm curious about the experiences of others.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #18 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 2:20pm

Buk Nut wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 12:10pm:
It is true. Thai society is a very materialistic society. Anyways, I don't want to get married right now, maybe when I'm 25-30. I just wanted to ask this question because I'm curious about the experiences of others.

Go Vietnam heck i seen catalog where you can order bride from there. I heard some of these viet girl get married off
to South Korea and Japan.As a matter of fact.There was a story where this crazy dude stab this poor Viet wife. Google it. But hey that's another subject.

View Profile  
IP Logged

CDN Lao lover
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Live! Laugh! Love! Laos

Luang Prabang, Lao
Reply #19 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 5:09pm

Yes ba dac, I make weekly runs to the Golden Triangle for some premium stuff. It makes reading idiotic comments bearable.

"Hmm your wife spent 1 yrs in the western world and she more western.I spent my entire life here and i'm more proud being Asian. Dude you smoking crack over there ?"

I have no idea what the relevancy of this is to what I wrote. She is probably one of the strongest supporter of Lao culture in the country. She's lived/worked in most of the provinces. She's not afraid to get in the government's face and also spends a lot of time living with the poorest of the poor trying to teach them how to help themselves.

She's more western in that she doesn't just sit around and complain but actually does something about injustice which is something most Lao or ASIAN people are afraid to do because of their preoccupation with "saving face".

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #20 - 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:05pm

Oh she's more "Western" because she doesn't "sit around and complain" but actually does something? What about the fact that we have an entire generation in the United States who complains and rebels on facebook and twitter while the president of the United States drops bombs on helpless orphans in Waziristan? You crappity smacking idiot. Can you even write in Lao?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #21 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 12:46am

ba dac wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 2:20pm:
Buk Nut wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 12:10pm:

Go Vietnam heck i seen catalog where you can order bride from there. I heard some of these viet girl get married off
to South Korea and Japan.As a matter of fact.There was a story where this crazy dude stab this poor Viet wife. Google it. But hey that's another subject.

Oh, seems like a good idea. I would stab her too, but not with a knife. I would stab her in between the legs with this thing I have between my legs.

Vietnamese culture's good, because the women usually stay virgins until marriage, although I can't speak Vietnamese.
I don't like speaking English to Asian people, I prefer to speak their language to them. When you speak to them in English it feels you aren't really connecting to them as much as you could if you spoke their language. Maybe I could learn Vietnamese, it doesn't seem too hard.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #22 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 11:32am

What the big deal on her being a virgin ? Vietnamese people
are cool .I had alot of good friends that viet. Their language
is French backward . That's what i been told.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #23 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 11:45am

Marrying a virgin girl is very important in Vietnamese and other Asian cultures. Growing up in America maybe one couldn't understand how they think.
Every guy wants to be the first guy to enter her, not the second, third, fourth, fifth or hundredth  Cry

Although if she was previously married it would be ok if she's not a virgin. Depends how she lost it.

Innocence is a precious thing. Who wouldn't want an innocent wife? It makes all the difference to us men. I'm a family-loving guy and I think of the woman as being the mother figure in the home and not a hooker and such.

People say that if you love her it doesn't matter, but that's just an opinion. To each his own.

Anyways, for me it's important to be with a virgin girl, but I respect your opinions if you think otherwise.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #24 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 12:23pm

I understand buddy. To me it wouldn't matter . When you look for someone to spent the rest of your life. Its hard
to judge a person just because they kept themselve pure
for ya. That mean she dedicated. I wish i can tell ya more.But i couldn't cause i'm not married.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #25 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 12:56pm

How old are you? were you born in usa or Lao

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #26 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 2:49pm

CDN Lao lover wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 5:09pm:
Yes ba dac, I make weekly runs to the Golden Triangle for some premium stuff. It makes reading idiotic comments bearable.

"Hmm your wife spent 1 yrs in the western world and she more western.I spent my entire life here and i'm more proud being Asian. Dude you smoking crack over there ?"

I have no idea what the relevancy of this is to what I wrote. She is probably one of the strongest supporter of Lao culture in the country. She's lived/worked in most of the provinces. She's not afraid to get in the government's face and also spends a lot of time living with the poorest of the poor trying to teach them how to help themselves.

She's more western in that she doesn't just sit around and complain but actually does something about injustice which is something most Lao or ASIAN people are afraid to do because of their preoccupation with "saving face".

If she such supporter of Laos , why the hell she hook up with
your sorry ass. Maybe she saw an opportunity.Maybe green card out . Who knows , maybe she just as a skank as those
Thai hooker. You have to smoke good crap to read my comment cause you know its the truth. Sometime the truth
hurt . Couldn't cut it with the woman your own race ?
Maybe they more inform about how a pathetic loser that you are. The truth is your old lady just married your sorry
ass to show off that she can hook up with a farlang to show.Heck she prob just as much a loser as you are. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #27 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 3:29pm

In Luang Prabang, there are a lot of foreign NGOs or companies representatives making improvements for local or nearby people by doing community projects or business. I think the famous one is German's GTZ, making a tons of scientific researchs and facilitating communications of local people to outside.

I do find foreigner's marriage with local people, still doing community improvements for locals.They are good too. I dont think these foreigners look down locals, some are keen to improve local living standards. They got married because it is time.  Of course, some foreigners stay there to become some sort of brokers between companies and government agencies or villages as I am often approached to bring talents to work there.

For me, there is no traditional girl to married. You love her, city girl or country gril, then comes marriage.

That is life!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #28 - 28th Jan, 2014 at 7:54am

yeah thats true, but I would find it hard to love a city girl because I dont like their lifestyle. Let me try to explain in depth for you to understand.

Urban city dwellers across the world are relatively similar because of globalization,  bringing international media, goods and values through consumerism, television and internet. Therefore, the only place where true local culture is kept preserved is in the countryside where people are sheltered from globalism and consumerism. Globalization and consumerism corrupt people like nothing else can do, just look at the government officials and the Hi-So class.

Generation Y no longer identifies as strongly with its own culture because it sees it as being "outdated," "not modern" and "bannok" (country, uncivilized) It is mostly the older people that strongly identify with the traditional culture and the younger generation is flowing into the city because of new infrastructure and pursuing higher education and abandoning their identities.

Because of the lack of infrastructure in Lao, people are able to continue their traditions and the young people do not throw it away like in other places such as Thailand. Even people my age, members of the new generation, will not be a part of "The facebook generation" because of their relative isolation from the modern world. This is a very hard thing to find and Lao is one of the few countries to have such a rare thing. That is why I said I will never, ever fall in love with a city girl.
« Last Edit: 29th Jan, 2014 at 6:19am by Buk Nut »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #29 - 29th Jan, 2014 at 8:56am

In plain words, you need to find a postletter girl in 5 or 7 years? not a facebook girl. Grin

Buk Nut wrote on 28th Jan, 2014 at 7:54am:
yeah thats true, but I would find it hard to love a city girl because I dont like their lifestyle. Let me try to explain in depth for you to understand.

Urban city dwellers across the world are relatively similar because of globalization,  bringing international media, goods and values through consumerism, television and internet. Therefore, the only place where true local culture is kept preserved is in the countryside where people are sheltered from globalism and consumerism. Globalization and consumerism corrupt people like nothing else can do, just look at the government officials and the Hi-So class.

Generation Y no longer identifies as strongly with its own culture because it sees it as being "outdated," "not modern" and "bannok" (country, uncivilized) It is mostly the older people that strongly identify with the traditional culture and the younger generation is flowing into the city because of new infrastructure and pursuing higher education and abandoning their identities.

Because of the lack of infrastructure in Lao, people are able to continue their traditions and the young people do not throw it away like in other places such as Thailand. Even people my age, members of the new generation, will not be a part of "The facebook generation" because of their relative isolation from the modern world. This is a very hard thing to find and Lao is one of the few countries to have such a rare thing. That is why I said I will never, ever fall in love with a city girl.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68389 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245614 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130923 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67126 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45855 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72425 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56099 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44256 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39965 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33198 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum