Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
A picture is worth a thousand words (Read 99056 times)

grant
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Australia
Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: A picture is worth a thousand words
Reply #60 - 7th Feb, 2014 at 6:06am

Is this true that you eat rats? Each to their own I guess. Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #61 - 7th Feb, 2014 at 9:49am

Financially independent is the root of healthy life.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #62 - 7th Feb, 2014 at 11:21am

grant wrote on 7th Feb, 2014 at 6:06am:
Is this true that you eat rats? Each to their own I guess. Cheesy

The field rice rat look tastey .I'll eat it.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #63 - 7th Feb, 2014 at 2:02pm

Buk Nut wrote on 4th Feb, 2014 at 5:24am:
TexasCowboy wrote on 3rd Feb, 2014 at 7:03pm:
And you seem to suffer from a white knight complex. What's this shit about "rescuing" an impoverished country gal? Until you realize a relationship should be mutually beneficial to both individuals involved and until you can find a woman who loves you for you rather than out of desperation for herself or her family, you will always remain heartbroken and confused.

Oh yeah I know, I was teasing more or less about "saving" her. My idea is that I like low class girls because they tend to be less uptight than high-so girls. For example, I came form the USA and I enjoy eating rats, while some Lao people who live in a country where others actually eat BBQ'd rats don't want to eat them just because they are close-minded and see themselves as "high-so" and the rats are "poor people's food." Basically an impoverished girl would be as comfortable with being low class as I am and not do things like ask to go to the mall and look at brand name shoes, and they would be comfortable living in the village, unlike a high-so girl who always wants to be in a room with air-con and cable television. Basically, I'm "low class", I want someone low class like me.

I'm not marrying her because of rats, that was just an example to get you to understand my point.

I understand where you are coming from. Most so called high society girls come off as petty and superficial. The level of brand consciousness is almost laughable and this is a trait I have especially observed in China where people will opt for the prestigious brand even if the actual product is inferior in quality. Country girls have a lot more common sense and their expectations are more realistic. City people are also clumsy and have trouble figuring things out on their own. I consider myself to be a city slicker and I am not really a DIY type of person. But unlike most of my class, I have a deep respect for the rural life and ideally I want to save money and retire in the countryside and live mostly off of home grown food.

The smartest person I've met in Laos, without a doubt, is my ethnic friend who grew up in a Kathu village. His spoken English is almost unrivaled and he only received three months of formal classes in the English language. He also speaks Japanese at a basic conversational level and can converse fluently in Lao and his native Kathu tongue. Additionally, he is talented at martial arts and is a somewhat skilled mechanic. I have also watched and admired him as he traversed a roaring river at a casual pace. His ability to forage for food in the jungle is something I've never seen before.  All in all, although my friend has no money and despite being looked down upon by the richer people of Pakse, his versatile array of skills impresses me far more than any of the tech savvy upper class I have met.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #64 - 8th Feb, 2014 at 9:21am

Yep exactly. The Kathu are from Xekong province, somewhere around there.

"New generation" people often lack very basic skills such as lighting matches, like one of the singers from Caribou said "Kid's these days don't have the ability to light matches." I really like to see handy people that have a lot of nature skills, not just the ability to use a cellphone and a computer. Honestly I would take a crash course that teaches you how to survive in a jungle with no resources if there was one near me. I might start looking. It'd be very, very useful to have a wife that could keep you alive in the jungle for months with no supplies, rather than a wife who blows all your/her money and time on new shoes, filling her cellphone balance, going to bars/clubs.

I'm rather fond of the old days where people relied on their own skills rather than technology, so I'm kinda in a hurry to find that type of gal before they all disappear. I myself am not much of a DIY guy but I wish I was and I am currently trying to be one.

Also I thought the Lao were above that Thai-style discrimination on other ethnic groups, but according to what you say, apparently not. It sickens me to see this kind of hatred because it usually ends in the less privileged group losing their rights, their land, and their culture. Yep, I have my own special name for this kind of discrimination, I call it "Thai-style discrimination." While others know Thais for their food, their nightlife, or even their smiles (IMO they don't smile that much, maybe more than Westerners though) I know Thais well because of their discrimination and disllikeof other ethnic groups. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much though. Maybe it's the same way everywhere in the world. Anyways, it's always the little guy that gets picked on. I feel bad for these tribal people in Laos sometimes.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #65 - 8th Feb, 2014 at 11:28am

Holy, seems you are looking for a female Tarzan! Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #66 - 8th Feb, 2014 at 11:32am

Peter , you need to take him drinking .

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #67 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 1:37am

I don't know what you mean exactly by uptight, Mak Nad. Because many  would say country girls are uptight as they won't sleep with you until you marry them. That tradition is respectable. I would never marry a woman who puts out easily. Thai women dress and act like sluts which is why I'd never marry a Thai woman but it's also a good thing if you're single. Thailand, although materially more wealthy than Lao, is also more culturally dysfunctional. It is a sad fact that a country gladly whores out its women for tourist revenue.

The central issue is the influence of media on the behavior of its consumers. I was watching some V-Pop earlier and it looked like a bunch of strippers dancing around. People model themselves to some extent on what they see in the media and this raunchy display undoubtedly exercises a negative influence. Women who move on from dick to dick will never truly be able to settle down. Marriage is the traditional convention observed in every functional sedentary society for roughly the last 12,000 years and its collapse has arguably only occurred in the past five decades.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #68 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 3:25am

Yep, although the sad thing is that Thai women used to be like Lao women a couple decades ago. The whoring started around the Vietnam war when American soldiers got stationed in Thailand so they could drop bombs on Lao villagers. Naturally the greedy Thai scum wanted to find a way to make money off of this golden opportunity, so they mobilized their women to service these GIs. I think it also has to do with Thailand being a free capitalist economy. Even Pattaya used to be a quaint fishing village but those Thais will do anything for a quick buck so they sold their girls to Americans. By uptight I mean they strictly adhere to their own narrow "new-gen" state of mind. They are uptight in a different way. as no one can convince them to change or respect their own culture. They're going to like Western Influenced music, cellphones and they don't care to eat "poor people's food" or otherwise known as the food their parents and grandparents grew up eating. They've been digitalized and they don't care about the old, they prefer to bring in the new. They want to "move up" in the social ladder, and doing so requires discarding the very essence of one's cultural identity, because this is the Digital age and traditions are so Dark Ages.  Poverty is often the best preserver of culture. Millionaires could care less about nationality-they just mingle with other millionaires. Isan people are the same as Lao people but look how being in Thailand has changed them. This being said. I admit that there are still good girls in Thailand, though they are probably around 10 times harder to find than in the past.

So tell me, what is kwam pen Thai? Selling your country and your countrymen out to Farang?

If you speak Thai then it's definitely a plus. You'll find most good Thai girls working or in school. (avoid the ones in bars or hangout spots, all the good girls are working to help their parents and won't be sitting around wasting time) Many Thai university girls are still celibate and though they may no longer be traditional due to having been in the educational system for many years and exposed to the media (television, internet) they are still better than girls you will find hanging out around Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai. You just have to have a good handle of the Thai language and know where to look. Don't expect to see any traditional Thai culture though, they are all digital in Thailand, except for maybe some hilltribes. Anyways, when marrying Thai women you still have to pay Sin Sods, even though you get no culture in return, and it is expected that you help send money to the girls' families when marrying both Thai and Lao women.

Thai women are like Coors lite Asian wives, very diluted stuff, won't get you far, while most Lao girls in the country would be like Vodka Asian wives, the real thing, but only for those that can handle the culture shock. (At least for now, as a lot of Lao people seem to be changing in the urban areas..Nothing gold can stay right?) I know Laos is slowly being invaded as well, but I'll be happy to visit this country up until the day of its final destruction. I already see Mixed race worship of Half Lao Half Farang kids starting to happen like in Thailand. There's K-pop invading, singers are starting to use the English language combined with Lao. It's only a matter of time before we reach the end.

The capitalist pigs and demons of greed won't stop until they destroy every society worldwide. They just want us to be consumers, they never cared about us for anything except for how much money we can contribute to the GDP..Just conform, conform, obey, obey, speak and understand English so the capitalist overlords can lull you into a hedonistic world of greed and material wealth. Let's all start forgetting who we are, just forget, forget, and embrace English, embrace french fries and hot dogs, forget it all.

« Last Edit: 10th Feb, 2014 at 6:51am by Buk Nut »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #69 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 7:12am

You wrote a very long story. What do you study at college? Literature?

I think your point is f capitalism, f city cat, f english, f thai girl,
F pop misc. long live Lao country girl, long live poverty! Long live tradition of poverty stricken hill tribes. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #70 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 7:34am

Lol, it was a bit dramatized, but the hill tribes are only impoverished because of companies snatching their land and developing it.

If they have full use of their traditional lands, they live their lives as good as anyone else..why do people assume that anyone not dependent on the international currency flow is impoverished?

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #71 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 10:42am

Man, if you this year go to Laos, check out the hill tribes life in mountains. Their miserable life is the direct result of national polices which is meant to be good.  google the opium poppy eradication program. Laotians got dramastic opposite comparing Thais got with the nearly same policy. Living with hill tribes areas for 1 month, you will feel how desperate they are ( before 2006), what was the point owing a land producing none. I feel them because my childhood was just like theirs.

No money, no honey, damned right.
People get smarter becasue of exploitation ( if politicians use competition) Grin Grin Grin.

Buk Nut wrote on 10th Feb, 2014 at 7:34am:
Lol, it was a bit dramatized, but the hill tribes are only impoverished because of companies snatching their land and developing it.

If they have full use of their traditional lands, they live their lives as good as anyone else..why do people assume that anyone not dependent on the international currency flow is impoverished?

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #72 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:11am

You are right.Thailand is the whorehouse for southeast asia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #73 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:12am

Man I didn't say poverty was good I just said poverty stops minority groups from assimilating to the dominant culture which in turn lets them keep their identity. It's just a factor that keeps the groups seperate

Anyways, I only have 3 months in Laos, but I plan to spend some time with the hilltribes. I don't want it to be an entire month because I want to see the entire country as well. What part of Laos did you visit the hill tribes in and which tribe did you visit?

And you are a Han Chinese working in Lao am I correct PeterPan?

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #74 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:21am

Too much of anything is not good for anyone.I understanding
what ya saying,but you can't live on an island forever.
Its all bout how you approach it.Japan is a good example.
They are very modern .What ever you can think of ,i think
them and the south Korean are at the top.But yet they
still no how to preserve their heritage. As for Laos ,most
people never had that kinda luxury.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum