Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can I bring a Lao girl to Thailand with just a passport? (Read 43601 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Can I bring a Lao girl to Thailand with just a passport?
1st Sep, 2015 at 8:34am

As you all know, it's illegal to stay at a Lao girl's house unless you are married to her in Laos. Could one just get her a passport and take her to stay in Thailand together?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Can I bring a Lao girl to Thailand with just a passport?
Reply #1 - 1st Sep, 2015 at 7:42pm

Well of course. There's no stopping Laotians from travelling to Thailand or any neighbouring country. It's much harder to travel to western countries because a sponsor is required.

In Laos, it's fine if you stay at her house provided that her family members also live there.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #2 - 3rd Sep, 2015 at 2:05am

Yes but I read that it's illegal if they catch you sleeping in the same room/bed with her.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 3rd Sep, 2015 at 4:43am

Well if you're staying at her place, and her parents also live there, then you have protection because they can tell the authorities that you're a guest. But then again, they probably wouldn't allow you to sleep in the same bed with their daughter under their roof unless you're married.

You can stay together in a hotel. The authorities rarely, if at all, do checks in rooms particularly in the expensive 4 or 5 star hotels. You can be vulnerable in guesthouses or other cheap accommodation places, but the worst-case scenario would be a fine if caught with a girl. How big or small the fine depends on how one negotiates.

Don't worry, we are not North Korea. You won't be executed for staying with a girl. We have prostitutes everywhere in Laos and nothing is being done about it.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #4 - 4th Sep, 2015 at 9:49pm

Thanks for the response.

I was staying with a family in Laos and I had only known them for a couple days and they were already trying to push me to get married to their daughter. (They were probably poor and wanted my money is all )

They were asking for a dowry of only 1 million kip, or about 4,000 baht, which seemed like a great deal to me, but I had to refuse as I'm still too young to marry for a man.

Is the dowry really this cheap in Laos? I hope it stays this way and doesn't increase.

In Thailand it's always 100,000 Baht and up. Even prostitutes in Laos are only about 1,000 Baht, much cheaper than in Thailand.

All in all, Laos is the best place to find a girl in my opinion

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 5th Sep, 2015 at 3:37am

1 million kip is basically nothing these days. That's just a bit over $100 USD to marry their daughter. Most people pay much more dowry than that, so her family must be very poor.

If Lao parents see a guy who is a foreigner, and have the potential to help them financially in the long term, they like to grab him quickly.

They may only be asking for only 1 million kip to have their daughter, but the chances are they will bother you and your wife in the years ahead, particularly if your wife have brothers and sisters who are still dependent on their parents.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #6 - 5th Sep, 2015 at 7:55am

I don't know, a lot of people I know paid 1 million kip for their dowry, but they were all from rural areas in the south of Laos ( Champassak, Attapeu, Xe Kong)

I'm not sure what the standard rate is in the city.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 5th Sep, 2015 at 10:26am

I have been to dine in restaurants around Vientiane for more than 1 million kip, it's nothing.

They have probably never held 1 million kip in their hand in their whole life. My parents wouldn't accept that kind of Dowry but I guess that's the standard rate in rural areas.

Again, her parents are probably thinking about the future, "just get whatever from him now, and we will get more from him later".

IP Logged

mitch
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #8 - 25th May, 2016 at 9:10am

What is the average dowry in Laos?

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #9 - 19th Jul, 2016 at 12:59pm

As Saovaluck is saying, if you wanna sleep with a chick, take her to a 4-5 star hotel. It's cheaper in the long run. The police do target guest houses and they'll shake you down even in the countryside!

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #10 - 19th Jul, 2016 at 1:01pm

Buk Nut wrote on 4th Sep, 2015 at 9:49pm:
Thanks for the response.

I was staying with a family in Laos and I had only known them for a couple days and they were already trying to push me to get married to their daughter. (They were probably poor and wanted my money is all )

They were asking for a dowry of only 1 million kip, or about 4,000 baht, which seemed like a great deal to me, but I had to refuse as I'm still too young to marry for a man.

Is the dowry really this cheap in Laos? I hope it stays this way and doesn't increase.

In Thailand it's always 100,000 Baht and up. Even prostitutes in Laos are only about 1,000 Baht, much cheaper than in Thailand.

It is only the best if you can speak Lao and understand the culture. Unless you've at least spent a year in Laos (time in Thailand doesn't count) then don't even think about marrying a Lao girl.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #11 - 19th Jul, 2016 at 3:02pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 5th Sep, 2015 at 10:26am:
I have been to dine in restaurants around Vientiane for more than 1 million kip, it's nothing.

They have probably never held 1 million kip in their hand in their whole life. My parents wouldn't accept that kind of Dowry but I guess that's the standard rate in rural areas.

Again, her parents are probably thinking about the future, "just get whatever from him now, and we will get more from him later".

So what kind of $ would your parents ask for admin  Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 19th Jul, 2016 at 5:00pm

It depends on his financial situation.

Marriage isn't something that sits in the forefront of my mind because I live a busy life.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #13 - 20th Jul, 2016 at 9:35am

That is what you got for the wonderful time in Laos? Applause

TexasCowboy wrote on 19th Jul, 2016 at 1:01pm:
Buk Nut wrote on 4th Sep, 2015 at 9:49pm:
Thanks for the response.

It is only the best if you can speak Lao and understand the culture. Unless you've at least spent a year in Laos (time in Thailand doesn't count) then don't even think about marrying a Lao girl.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #14 - 20th Jul, 2016 at 12:22pm

About knowing the language and culture, that's totally true. It allows you to filter through the shit, as most westerners I've met marry the most undesirable women from Southeast Asia, the kind the local men wouldn't even date.

That's who you usually have access to when you can't speak the language, but it's not always this way.

And also in Thailand there's a lot of police checkpoints between the Amphoes. If you're on a bus the police will come up and check everyone's papers. I've seen a lot of illegal Burmese, Laos and Khmers get deported this way.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78292 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248711 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133045 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69747 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47392 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73878 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57511 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45350 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40940 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33928 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum