Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Judy Garland's replica ruby slippers (Read 137395 times)
Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Judy Garland's replica ruby slippers
10th Aug, 2013 at 5:44pm

Below is the exact replica of the ruby slippers known as "the traveling shoes" that were stolen from the Judy Garland museum in 2005.

They are size 5.5, and the sequins are rich burgundy which were also used on stolen ruby slippers, known to be darker in color than other pairs of ruby slippers. This replica ruby slippers is made from vintage 1930's pumps from the days of The Wizard of Oz.

The jewels and sequins were hand-sewn, and the jewels on the bows have been aged to match its appearance today.

Judy Garland's size 5.5 replica ruby slippers

Judy Garland's size 5.5 replica ruby slippers

Inside the right shoe is the label, reading Innes Shoe Co. Los Angeles, Hollywood, Pasadena. Written in block letters is meant to be the name "JUDY GARLAND" as they appear on the original ruby slippers but I haven't put it in yet.

The bow and label of Judy Garland's size 5.5
replica ruby slippers

The bow and label of Judy Garland's size 5.5 replica ruby slippers

Judy Garland's size 5B replica ruby slippers

Judy Garland's size 5B replica ruby slippers

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Judy Garland's replica ruby slippers
Reply #1 - 11th Aug, 2013 at 9:34am

Judy Garland's stunning replica ruby slippers unite. She would wear a pair exactly like these in The Wizard of Oz, so let me explain a little about their purpose.

The wine-colored pair is the size 5.5 "traveling shoes", and it was used for static and close-up shots in The Wizard of Oz. This pair of ruby slippers was displayed around America before it was stolen after burglars targeted a museum.

The red-colored pair is the size 5B "witches shoes", and it was used for extra-close-up or insert shots. For instance when Judy Garland as Dorothy taps her heels together three times in the movie's climactic scene, according to Kent Warner who was the founder of the ruby slippers.

Judy Garland as Dorothy's replica ruby slippers unite

Judy Garland as Dorothy's replica ruby slippers unite

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #2 - 11th Aug, 2013 at 11:55am

These are the sequins used to make our ruby slippers, red and dark burgundy color. According to Rhys Thomas, the author of "The Ruby Slippers of Oz", different ruby slippers come in different shades of ruby red, from bright to dark burgundy.

We mostly like red metallic sequins because of the way they shine on the ruby slippers. The sequin itself is tiny, just 5mm and quite strong in that it is very hard to bend. 

Exactly like the original ruby slippers, every sequin is hand sewn so it's a very tedious and time-consuming job. It's not something that you can finish in one day, or one week. Around 4,600 sequins needs to be sewn and it takes a lot of concentration and commitment in order to make a genuine pair of ruby slippers like they produced for The Wizard of Oz in 1938.

Bag of red and dark burgundy sequins

Bag of red and dark burgundy sequins

Red sequin

Red sequin

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #3 - 11th Aug, 2013 at 3:41pm

Our replica ruby slippers wouldn't look right without a company label.

Each pair of the original ruby slippers had a company label inside the right shoe reading "Innes Shoe Co., Los Angeles, Hollywood, Pasadena."

This was either a cloth sewn on, or a stamp in gold or silver. Below are some rare labels that we have on hand, and is identical to the labels used on the original ruby slippers. To get our ruby slippers stamped, this is done in New York.

Innes Shoe co. label used on the original ruby slippers

Innes Shoe co. label used on the original ruby slippers

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 12th Aug, 2013 at 12:38pm

The ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy have magical powers in The Wizard of Oz, and that's what these replica ruby slippers possess.       

These are high quality pieces of Hollywood memorabilia that I would rate as one of the best hand-sewn replica ruby slippers in the world because the right materials are used, and they look just as beautiful as what Judy Garland as Dorothy wore on the Yellow Brick Road.

The magical ruby slippers

The magical ruby slippers

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 12th Aug, 2013 at 6:36pm

This vintage gemstone is sewn in the centre on the bows of our ruby slippers. The length, width and height, and rectangular face is identical to the ones on the original ruby slippers.

Vintage centre gemstone on the ruby slippers

Vintage centre gemstone on the ruby slippers

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 14th Aug, 2013 at 7:55am

When people come to see our ruby slippers, they tend to observe the bow so it's really important that we get it right otherwise it wouldn't be an exact replica.

So today, I'm going to demonstrate how I make the bow for the ruby slippers. I've already spent a good 3 hours hand-sewing some of the jewels on a red fabric overlay, and listening to some Judy Garland songs to keep me entertained while I'm at it. The bow below is still half finished and needs a few more hours to complete, and remember I also need to make a second bow and it goes to show what the seamstresses and tailors at MGM had to endure in 1938.

Basically, I sew the jewels onto an overlay, and then sew the completed overlay onto a a thin red leather, no glue is used on any part of the bow. This is a world-class bow reproduction that uses the same technique as MGM.

Making the bow for the ruby slippers

Making the bow for the ruby slippers

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #7 - 14th Aug, 2013 at 11:26am

Where is the safe box put? in Vientiene?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 14th Aug, 2013 at 3:23pm

The safe box is in a private location.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 14th Aug, 2013 at 4:30pm

I finished sewing one bow, and the jewels match the total number on the original ruby slippers. I need to work on the second bow before attaching both overlays to a leather that I cut into a shape of a bow.

Close up of the bow identical to the original ruby slippers

Close up of the bow identical to the original ruby slippers

Rhinestones count = 46.  Correct bull-greencheck.gif
Bugle beads count = 42.  Correct bull-greencheck.gif
Centre jewels count = 3. Correct bull-greencheck.gif

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 17th Aug, 2013 at 3:24pm

And here is one of the finished bows that I made. One of the closest bows in the world that Judy Garland as Dorothy wore in The Wizard of Oz (1939). This bow will later be sewed directly onto my next pair of ruby slippers.

In summary, I sewed the jewels onto a fabric overlay, then I sewed the fabric overlay onto the leather and making sure that the leather is visible around the edges.

Aternatively, I could have aged the jewels but that would get rid of the shine. I could have also thinned the leather to make it look more authentic. Rumor has it that the leather on the original ruby slippers were thinned down to make them flexible but that's a matter of debate.

The finished bow for my ruby slippers

The finished bow for my ruby slippers

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #11 - 25th Aug, 2013 at 12:52am

The sequins have to start from the bottom and then layered them ascendingly? I would imagine that this would be the same procedure as putting shingles on a roof.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 25th Aug, 2013 at 3:56am

Not necessarily.

Some ruby slipper makers start from the bottom and work their way to top of the shoe, while others start from the top to the bottom and slightly tucking the new line of sequins under the preceding line so there is a bit of overlap.

Either way works, and the end result is to make sure that the pattern of the sequins are placed slightly over the top of each other like scales on a fish or shingles on a roof.

Ruby slippers are beautiful and it's a lovely piece of the past.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #13 - 26th Aug, 2013 at 5:03pm

I would start from the bottom if I have to build the slippers.  What type of specialized thread did you use to stitch the bow and sequins to the slippers?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 26th Aug, 2013 at 5:21pm

Any thread is suitable. I use polyester, but what's more important is to use the color of the thread that matches the color of the sequins because I don't want the thread to be extremely visible on the ruby slippers.

For instance if my sequins are red, then I would use red thread to sew them onto the shoe.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68298 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245588 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130906 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67111 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45843 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72409 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56091 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44249 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39950 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33191 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum