Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Judy Garland's replica ruby slippers (Read 137398 times)
Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Judy Garland's replica ruby slippers
Reply #30 - 5th Sep, 2013 at 3:08pm

All the jewels have been attached to the silk fabric. Notice that this bow on the Witch's Shoes (size 5B ruby slippers) is straight, whereas Dorothy's Shoes (size 6B ruby slippers) has a bit of curve on the wings of the bow, as displayed on the first page of this thread.

The number of bugle beads on the Witch's Shoes is different to Dorothy's Shoes because they were basically placed on the bow using "put them where they fit" approach by MGM. 

Now all I need to do is attach this piece to leather, and I have a quality replica of a bow, a gem of a bow made by a Lao girl.

Close-up of the bow on Judy Garland's ruby slippers

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #31 - 6th Sep, 2013 at 11:41am

The finished ruby slipper bow, check it out in comparison with the bows that Judy Garland as Dorothy wore in The Wizard of Oz. It looks pretty much identical.

I take great pride in making sure the jewels are perfectly aligned, particularly the rhinestones that makes the pattern of the bow. I always allow some extra edge beyond the rhinestones so that there is a bit of silk fabric, this is exactly the way the bows on the original ruby slippers were made too.

I didn't want to dye the leather red and leave it as it is, simply because I want it to be visible on the sides and not camouflaged with the fabric. The face of the bow is more important because this is where people look and I'm very satisfied with the result.

Ruby slipper bow

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #32 - 6th Sep, 2013 at 2:25pm

These are some quality hand-sewn ruby slipper bows that would impress MGM costume designer Gilbert Adrian. The first thing that you will probably notice is that the color of each bow looks different. You're right.

The original ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz were created in slightly different colors, so with that in mind, we need to adjust the color of our bows accordingly so that it matches the color of our ruby slippers.

Hand-sewn ruby slipper bows

Hand-sewn ruby slipper bows

IP Logged

LoveGal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

♥ Judy Garland ♥

Oversea
Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardJudy Garland Gold Star Award
Reply #33 - 7th Sep, 2013 at 11:46pm

I didn't know it was in different colour in the movie. I think we can spot it out in 'The Wizard of Oz in 3D'.
By the way anybody is watching the movie in this week?
Anyway I cannot watch it in my living town, but I hope it will come to my local cinema soon.

If anybody watched it on IMAX Screen, I hope you will share the fun Wink

♥ Judy Garland ♥ This is Judy Garland I gonna sing "Gotta Get Out And Vote, 1944"

♥ Judy Garland ♥ Ma! He's Makin' Eyes At Me! 1949
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #34 - 8th Sep, 2013 at 6:57am

I read Rhys Thomas's book about the ruby slippers, and they were created in different colors so that they would display as red in the movie.

Color in those days required a lot of lighting on the studio sets in order for them to appear as the desired color on film, and they had to make sure the ruby slippers used in close-ups and distant shots still gave the red effect.

Judy Garland's checkered gingham dress was another example of this. The blouse and checks in the gingham was subtle pink so that it turned out white in the movie. 1930's Technicolor system was a great invention. The movie is so old, yet so clear and colorful.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #35 - 9th Sep, 2013 at 2:24pm

I spent all day sewing and I also started on another bow. I still have a long way to go before this one is done, but it's looking nice so far.

See how neat and straight the rhinestone montees are stitched to the silk fabric? Presentation is very important when making bows because it is the main focal point of the ruby slippers. 

Sewing rhinestone montees on the ruby slipper bow

Sewing rhinestone montees on the ruby slipper bow

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #36 - 10th Sep, 2013 at 2:07pm

The rhinestones we use is identical to the rhinestones on the bows on the original ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

The face has a hexagonal shape, and the four silver colored claw or prong is rounded just like they appear on the original bows. The prong on the original bows has turned black due to it's old age. You can see the edges of the fabric fraying on the original bows which is normal after 75 years. You can also see the thread still holding the jewels firmly in place.

Extreme close-up shot of the bow on the original ruby slippers

Extreme close-up shot of the bow on the original ruby slippers

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #37 - 10th Sep, 2013 at 4:08pm

Ruby slipper bow being constructed

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #38 - 19th Sep, 2013 at 12:11pm

Three sets of ruby slipper bows, all painstakingly hand-sewn and
paying attention to detail using the same technique as MGM.

Three sets of ruby slipper bows

IP Logged

LoveGal

♥ Judy Garland ♥

Oversea
Reply #39 - 19th Sep, 2013 at 3:26pm

It looks marvelous so far
Therefore, You are making three pair of ruby slipper?
And I see those pair of bows are not in same pattern design. The pair in top I cannot see. The pair in middle is designed vertical pattern. And the pair in bottom is horizontal pattern.

By the way, Is there a pair of ruby slipper in the glass cage bottom?

And... Too many idea...
Why don't you try other colour? I would make one pair in diamond version for my future wife's wedding dress. I don't know the Lao's cultural, so it may be in other form of colour. Is it a good idea?
9814956826_e872017e75.jpg

♥ Judy Garland ♥ This is Judy Garland I gonna sing "Gotta Get Out And Vote, 1944"

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #40 - 19th Sep, 2013 at 5:53pm

That's a beautiful picture of Judy Garland.

The bows may look slightly different but they are all created in the same pattern, that's how the originals were made.

There is no limit on the number of pair of ruby slippers that I will be making, it's my passion and my dream. I am still young and I plan to continue making them for many decades to come.

As for colour, I prefer to keep it red or close to it. I don't think that I will ever make slippers in diamond, gold or any other colour. I specialize in exact replicas only.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #41 - 23rd Sep, 2013 at 7:17am

This is the original bow on the size 5B ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy. If you look closely, you'll notice that the pattern and probably the number of the bugle beads on the left and right side of the bow is different. 

The bows were made very haphazardly just for the movie, and MGM didn't think that anyone would ever be looking at them up close, so the bugle beads were sewn into place without any real pattern in mind. As long as they shine and sparkle when filmed then it met their particular needs.

Original bow on the size 5B ruby slippers

Original bow on the size 5B ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy

IP Logged

LoveGal

♥ Judy Garland ♥

Oversea
Reply #42 - 24th Sep, 2013 at 7:00pm

The bows look wonderful. You see, the picture "original-bow-on-the-size-5b-ruby-slippers" shows the structure is a little bit different between yours bows. I'm not going to make any offend mean. let's see the difference from the cross-section A and yours. I don't know the current structure have changed by the time, poorly maintained or it is the original design, but I see the different.
9914407243_cdef9e68f9_o.jpg

The drawing is not very well. I don't have a professional drawing software in my computer. It is drew by Paint...
Anyway, you have done the fine work so far. Hope to see your completed work soon.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #43 - 25th Sep, 2013 at 4:24am

The rhinestones do not angle on the foil back stones, but sit close to each other. The original bows today are very old and they look different to when they were first made by MGM.

You're looking at a bow that is over 75 years old so some of the jewels may be slightly out of place, or even missing on some bows. When I make the bows, I try to replicate what they used to look like when they were worn by Judy Garland as Dorothy in 1939, and not how they appear today.

Correct pattern and placement of the jewels
on the bow of Judy Garland's ruby slippers

Correct pattern and placement of the jewels on the bow of Judy Garland's ruby slippers

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #44 - 28th Sep, 2013 at 6:04pm

Dorothy's size is 5B.  Is this European or US size? Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 68351 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 245608 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 130917 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 67120 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 45851 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 72417 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 56097 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 44253 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 39955 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33195 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum