Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
My cousin made this three-wheeled motorbike (Read 66093 times)

Satan
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: My cousin made this three-wheeled motorbike
Reply #45 - 27th Jan, 2017 at 7:56pm

Females want this....

trumppjpg.jpg (15 KB | 494 )
trumppjpg.jpg
View Profile  
IP Logged

Vongvichit999
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #46 - 14th Apr, 2017 at 8:37pm

Getting the thread back on track...

I am sure your cousin is very proud of his creation and good for him for having a go, but there is no way he could ever convince me to travel in the sidecar or on the motorcycle! As you have correctly pointed out, motorcycles are not designed to carry sidecars or trailers and this is especially true for these little “toy” motorcycles that everyone rides in Laos and neighbouring countries. The additional stresses placed on the motorcycle frame can easily result in cracks and distortions that could cause the motorcycle frame to break without warning and the consequences of this event are potentially fatal.

Larger touring motorcycles that have a sidecar are professionally modified with appropriate strengthening of the frame and usually incorporate modifications to the suspension, braking, drive train ratios and steering geometry to allow for the additional weight and asymmetric drag of the sidecar. Also critical is the attachment itself, which is usually a ball and socket style of joint, which allows some flexibility between the sidecar and the attachment points on the motorcycle frame.

Your cousin’s sidecar is the perfect example of what NOT to do! Firstly, the photos show that his motorcycle is in very poor condition which obviously reflects on how well he maintains it... or not in this case. Secondly, the motorcycle is one of those awful mass-produced and poorly engineered copies of the Honda Wave that are produced with very thin steel frames. Considering the pitiable state of the already poor quality motorcycle, there is every chance that his frame may already have hairline cracks in the frame. Did he have the frame X-rayed for cracks in the weld beads before attaching the sidecar? Of course not. Then, he has used mostly one-inch box section steel with no trussing for tensile strength. At the rear, the sidecar is attached to the pillion grab handle, which is a most unsuitable location. I could go on and on, but please... if you value your cousin’s life, for goodness sake tell him to put his brain in gear before he puts the motorcycle in gear! If not, your cousin may consider himself a temporary citizen of Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #47 - 15th Apr, 2017 at 6:07am

It's probably more of a side trailer because it's not really created to carry passengers but goods. However, it can support the weight of two or three people in there so it's very strong and there's no reason to worry about your safety.

Assuming it broke, you're not going to die as a result, the worst case scenario is that you're going to have to walk back home. This basic three-wheeled motorbike isn't designed to be ridden on a California Highway or a Sydney Freeway.

It is ridden at slow speeds on a dirt road in a Lao countryside for the convenience of carrying things short distance, which is why it looks old and dirty from the dust. I wouldn't say it's in very poor condition because it works perfectly fine. Not everybody is rich, you use what you have.

Any rural citizens in Laos would love to have one of these three-wheeled motorbike in a heartbeat because it's much better and safer than carrying things while riding. Thank you for your concern though.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

grant

I love Laos!

Australia
Reply #48 - 15th Apr, 2017 at 12:37pm

Very well written and answered Saovaluck 🙂🙂🙂

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #49 - 18th Apr, 2017 at 4:28pm

Vongvichit999 wrote on 14th Apr, 2017 at 8:37pm:
Getting the thread back on track...

I am sure your cousin is very proud of his creation and good for him for having a go, but there is no way he could ever convince me to travel in the sidecar or on the motorcycle! As you have correctly pointed out, motorcycles are not designed to carry sidecars or trailers and this is especially true for these little “toy” motorcycles that everyone rides in Laos and neighbouring countries. The additional stresses placed on the motorcycle frame can easily result in cracks and distortions that could cause the motorcycle frame to break without warning and the consequences of this event are potentially fatal.

Larger touring motorcycles that have a sidecar are professionally modified with appropriate strengthening of the frame and usually incorporate modifications to the suspension, braking, drive train ratios and steering geometry to allow for the additional weight and asymmetric drag of the sidecar. Also critical is the attachment itself, which is usually a ball and socket style of joint, which allows some flexibility between the sidecar and the attachment points on the motorcycle frame.

Your cousin’s sidecar is the perfect example of what NOT to do! Firstly, the photos show that his motorcycle is in very poor condition which obviously reflects on how well he maintains it... or not in this case. Secondly, the motorcycle is one of those awful mass-produced and poorly engineered copies of the Honda Wave that are produced with very thin steel frames. Considering the pitiable state of the already poor quality motorcycle, there is every chance that his frame may already have hairline cracks in the frame. Did he have the frame X-rayed for cracks in the weld beads before attaching the sidecar? Of course not. Then, he has used mostly one-inch box section steel with no trussing for tensile strength. At the rear, the sidecar is attached to the pillion grab handle, which is a most unsuitable location. I could go on and on, but please... if you value your cousin’s life, for goodness sake tell him to put his brain in gear before he puts the motorcycle in gear! If not, your cousin may consider himself a temporary citizen of Laos.

DAm dude chill out .

View Profile  
IP Logged

Vongvichit999
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #50 - 18th Apr, 2017 at 7:37pm

I am perfectly chilled, thanks. But because I have a background in both engineering and OHS, the OP's photos caught my attention and prompted a logical and sensible response. That said, I have lived in Laos long enough to know full well that most Lao folk have no sense of self preservation whatsoever and they routinely put themselves into extremely dangerous situations with little or no thought to their own safety, nor the safety of others. Saovaluck's response clearly demonstrates this casual attitude: commonsense will tell you that using this contraption on rough dirt roads does not make it any safer; if anything, it only amplifies the danger of a breakage and crash! I suppose the only saving grace is the relatively low speed at which it would normally travel. Nevertheless, the bike's owner clearly doesn't give a flying fudge about his safety or that of anyone travelling with him. Such is life in Laos. I'll open another Beer Lao, chill out some more and forget about it... 'Nuff said.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #51 - 19th Apr, 2017 at 3:08am

A background in this and that doesn't mean you can come up with a conclusion from photos.

There has never been any reports of anybody losing their life in Laos due to a side trailer breaking up. The trailer is made from steel and it is securely attached to the motorbike so it wouldn't just snap off, there would be some warning signs prior to a complete breakage.

What kind of transportation in Laos will make you 100% safe?

If you've lived in Laos long enough as you say, then you'll obviously understand that nobody wears a seat belt in a car or tuk tuk, sleeper buses with beds makes you vulnerable when there is a sudden break or accident, and people don't wear a helmet when riding a bike. Even if you're walking on a footpath in Vientiane, motorbikes regularly drive on it to take short cuts, putting your life in danger. Not to mention pot holes everywhere can make a car swerve into oncoming traffic.

You could hop onto any form of public transport in Laos, but you'll never know if they fully maintained their vehicles.

So clearly Laos isn't the place for you with your mentality.

IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #52 - 19th Apr, 2017 at 10:03am

Vongvichit999 wrote on 18th Apr, 2017 at 7:37pm:
I am perfectly chilled, thanks. But because I have a background in both engineering and OHS, the OP's photos caught my attention and prompted a logical and sensible response. That said, I have lived in Laos long enough to know full well that most Lao folk have no sense of self preservation whatsoever and they routinely put themselves into extremely dangerous situations with little or no thought to their own safety, nor the safety of others. Saovaluck's response clearly demonstrates this casual attitude: commonsense will tell you that using this contraption on rough dirt roads does not make it any safer; if anything, it only amplifies the danger of a breakage and crash! I suppose the only saving grace is the relatively low speed at which it would normally travel. Nevertheless, the bike's owner clearly doesn't give a flying fudge about his safety or that of anyone travelling with him. Such is life in Laos. I'll open another Beer Lao, chill out some more and forget about it... 'Nuff said.

apparently you never been to Arkansas .lol
you seem very smart. But right now you sound like
you got something stuck up yo ass.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #53 - 27th Jun, 2017 at 5:29pm

The same three-wheeled motorbike 5 months later without the headlights, broken front fender, and a new black and yellow seat cover. It still runs great, no one has died.

Three-wheeled motorbike in Laos

Please click on image to view a larger version

IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #54 - 28th Jun, 2017 at 12:40pm

Applause  your cousin is a MacGyver !! Good on him.

View Profile  
IP Logged

daft

Miss Judy's #1 John Wayne
American Fan

Reply #55 - 1st Jul, 2017 at 6:28am

I would tootle about town any day on this three wheeler. It goes forward, steers, and comes to a halt. Perfect. Bonus: It hauls things too large to carry. Good Job Cousin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79331 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249077 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133269 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69967 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47572 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74041 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57663 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45477 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41070 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34018 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum