Poll Poll
Question: Which Southeast Asian country is the most impoverished?

« Last Modified by: Buk Nut on: 4th Jun, 2015 at 1:25am »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Poll: Which Southeast Asian country is the most impoverished? (Read 29190 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Poll: Which Southeast Asian country is the most impoverished?
26th Mar, 2015 at 12:24pm

Give me your opinions here guys.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Poll: Which Southeast Asian country is the most impoverished?
Reply #1 - 26th Mar, 2015 at 1:26pm

Any country but Laos. I would put Thailand in there as well as a poorer country than Laos.

Laos only has a small population compared to those countries so it's not as bad in Laos. A lot of Laotians left the country 30 or 40 years ago, and is supporting relatives back home.

I'm not saying that Laos isn't poor, but the poor find ways to survive. Everyone will have their basic needs of food, clothing and shelter.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #2 - 26th Mar, 2015 at 9:44pm

Lao people always seem to have food, though most get it from nature and not supermarkets.

Why do you think Thai is impoverished? I've never seen any hungry Thais before. They eat good.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 27th Mar, 2015 at 3:26am

There's always something that Lao people need to buy at the supermarkets, even the poor have their own outdoor markets nearby their village.

Thailand has a population of nearly 70 million people in a country with a small land area, so there are a lot of struggling families. When Thai families have kids, they can have up to 10 kids. When they are poor, they are much poorer than the poor people in Laos.

Two weeks ago, I went to a wedding and I saw a group of Thai people who also attended. They looked like they came from the countryside of Thailand. Lao people were dressed formally for the occasion, while the Thais dressed casually in t-shirts, and it seems like they have never been to a formal wedding. This was a Hi-So wedding, and not some rural style wedding on a dirt ground.

Anyway not only did they dress unusual for such a high class wedding but they were the only guests who ate all the food on the table, there was nothing on their plates and bowls, all cleaned out. They were the odd ones out because guests at other tables still had food left over.

I'm not trying to look down on poor Thais, but they seemed pretty hungry and probably came to Vientiane on an empty stomach. They look poor from the countryside and I have some photos of them, which I might post later when I'm not busy.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #4 - 27th Mar, 2015 at 4:13am

That is strange because I have lived in Thailand for years and all the kids are on smartphones and none of them seem to be poor. Maybe the area I lived was just not a poor area.

In Laos you can see young kids walking around wearing ripped and tattered sinh begging for money.

I've never seen any Thai kids begging for money in Thailand before only amputees and handicapped people.

At the village I lived in 95% of the kids went on to Matayom education.

In Laos I know young girls who dropped out of school after 2nd grade.

Thailand also has a high literacy rate, and pretty much everyone can read except for some boys I know from rural Isaan who dropped out in the 5th grade and can't even read the alphabet.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 27th Mar, 2015 at 5:08am

Like I said, Thailand has 70 million people. I'm pretty certain you haven't seen all of them.

Some young kids in the countryside of Laos wear ripped clothing, but the bottom line is they are still wearing clothing and they have clothing at home, and not walking around naked like Africans.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #6 - 27th Mar, 2015 at 7:01am

Actually I have seen some tribal women in Laos walking around without their tops and you can see their saggy breasts because they don't wear bras. These women were only around 20-30 years of age. They have some pictures on a Lao calendar for 2014 if you've ever seen it.

I don't know a whole lot about Africa but most Africans I've seen have clothing except for the nomadic hunters and gatherers which make up a fraction of the population.

I guess I have seen lots of shanty towns in Thailand near the train tracks but I was never sure if they were Thai or just Burmese immigrants.

I know some areas of Thailand have no electricity as well, even in Central Thailand with ethnic Thais.

One thing I have never seen in my life is a young Thai person wearing sinh. Only old people. I see young Lao, Khmer and Burmese wear it all the time.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 27th Mar, 2015 at 8:18am

We don't consider tribal women in Laos as Laotians. That's why we call them Hmong, Meo, Yao, Tai Dum, or whatever they are called.

Thais don't wear sinh because it's not their traditional outfit. They have what is called a "sarong" which is their version of a sinh, and they only wear during special occasions.

Thais don't dress in their traditional outfit to school or work, opting for something a bit more sexy to attract men.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #8 - 27th Mar, 2015 at 9:29am

The sarong is worn by people all over arabia, africa and India too. It is less fitted than the sinh and looks less formal. Sometimes people in Laos use the terms interchangeably but people in rural areas usually wear sarongs and not just sinh. In Burma it's called the longyi and it's still commom for men and women to wear. Sometimes I see my grandfather wearing sarongs.

Sometimes Thais do wear sinh at ceremonies.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 14th Apr, 2015 at 1:59pm

Years ago, here in China, we always left  food on plates for reasons I still dont know. Now, we just clean them all still for reasons I dont know.

Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #10 - 21st Apr, 2015 at 2:08pm

"Never judged a book by it cover" you are also compared apple with orage. These people are came from a rural  essan area. You can't compare them to you, who from a capital city of Laos.
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 27th Mar, 2015 at 5:08am:
Like I said, Thailand has 70 million people. I'm pretty certain you haven't seen all of them.

Some young kids in the countryside of Laos wear ripped clothing, but the bottom line is they are still wearing clothing and they have clothing at home, and not walking around naked like Africans.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #11 - 22nd Apr, 2015 at 2:39am

Tee wrote on 21st Apr, 2015 at 2:08pm:
"Never judged a book by it cover" you are also compared apple with orage. These people are came from a rural  essan area. You can't compare them to you, who from a capital city of Laos.

I'm talking about the majority. Isaan is Thailand's largest area where most people are living and therefore represent the real Thais.

The snobby Thai celebrities and the rich in the cities on television every day is a far cry from most Thais who are poor.

IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #12 - 22nd Apr, 2015 at 9:01am

I'm not sure if most Thais are poor Admin.

I think even the rural Thais have more money than some Lao people in the cities.

When I was living in Isaan everyone had a motorbike and they could afford to buy gas, and they all had access to electricity and cellphones. All the kids were on smartphones, and many of the parents had Kubota tractors that they had bought.

How many families in Laos do you see driving Kubota tractors to the field? Do any rural Lao people still use buffaloes to plow the field?

Now even people in the country of Thailand are snobby. I know some Isaan girls who use Facebook and they won't go out in the sunlight because they're afraid of getting a tan. "Yan dum."

I am glad that the Lao government doesn't build schools in a lot of the rural areas and doesn't help people because when people get money, a lot of times they just turn into disgraces.

The reason most western tourists come to Laos is because they want to see poor people living in villages, admit it. Same with Cambodia and Myanmar. If there were no more poor people living in villages no one would want to come to Laos because that is the main attraction for people living in western societies where everyone is equal.

The main reason tourists go to Thailand is to have crazy sex that they can't get at home because of feminism. Admit it.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #13 - 22nd Apr, 2015 at 9:33am

I'm not from the rural area so I don't see people working the fields. From my understanding, the fields in Thailand are much bigger to feed their growing population, and to sell internationally, so they need more resources like a tractor to help do the job.

Thais are snobs, especially those in the city. Using Facebook or not going out in the sun has got nothing to do with it, it's their personality that bothers many Laotians.

There are more tourists enjoying themselves in cities like Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, than those roaming out to rural areas to see poor people. Tourists don't care if the locals are rich or poor, it's all about the entertainment and the sightseeing.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #14 - 22nd Apr, 2015 at 1:18pm

[I am glad that the Lao government doesn't build schools in a lot of the rural areas and doesn't help people because when people get money, a lot of times they just turn into disgraces.]

what is your mindset? They dont want to build schools in rural areas is because they want to rule the other as they do now. People with knowledge, good or bad, can see through things. People with knowledge can not be easilly fooled.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78210 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248680 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133019 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69734 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47373 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73858 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57490 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45337 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40925 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33922 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum